I have been offered one of these...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
img_20181103_143550349-jpg.158856

img_20181103_143600336-jpg.158857

img_20181103_143607146-jpg.158858

img_20181103_143938458-jpg.158859

img_20181103_143943071-jpg.158860

To explain -

I was at a chaps place who was selling up to collect another item, and spotted the saw.
I dont need a bandsaw, and was even thinking of selling my existing bandsaw, as i never use it (warco).

But this one caught my eye. Its proper old cast, with almost art-deco styling. Its a lovely looking object.

But....

Its missing the guard for the belts. Which is a lot of its visual appeal. I know the table etc. are not fitted in the photos, but it has that.

Im now in two minds. As i say, im not a band saw chap really. Id find space for it if i thought i could get the guard, but, on an american saw, thats realistically never going to happen. And it might just irritate me for ever after that the guard is missing.

Here is someone elses photo of one with the guard -

7295-A.jpg

edit: im not sure why that image isnt working, but here is the link -

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/7295-A.jpg

I mean its not like you could easily knock one of them up! I think the one in the photo is 16", whilst the one ive been offered is 14".

I know many on here would say "just buy it" but i dont have a warehouse for storage, and ive got enough projects to last 2 life times, so i need to be realistic.

I know the guard is not a part of the workings, and, normally i just buy tools to use, rather than look at, but i am a fan of that sort of styling. I dont need a bandsaw, but would buy it if it was complete without doubt. But it isnt...

Noone can answer the question really! Unless, of course, you happen to have a walker turner band saw guard going spare.... ! : )

Thank you!

If you want it get it. After all you could always approach a panel beater later to make one up for you

It may even be possible to make the guard with some ply etc - when painted it will blend in nicely.

S

I could weld up my own guard if i just wanted a functional one, but the original is cast.

Like i say, im more into the aesthetics of the item than the function.

...which probbaly means i shouldnt get it anyway!

(but im still thinking about it)

julianf":ymj575tj said:
I could weld up my own guard if i just wanted a functional one, but the original is cast.

Like i say, im more into the aesthetics of the item than the function.

...which probbaly means i shouldnt get it anyway!

(but im still thinking about it)

I suspect the fact the original is cast might explain why it's no longer with the saw :-(.

I suspect something made from sheet steel would better survive being dropped onto a concrete floor...

That said, it's a rather nice bit of kit.

Quite possibly.

The reason i spotted it was that i went to pick up another tool, that was also in bits, with some parts missing / lost over time, so this one might have had the same cause.

Im slowly getting into metal casting. If i could find an original part to copy, then it wouldnt be so very very hard to remake the part (alloy, rather than steel) but, whilst theyre quite common in the states, finding someone local enough to take a mould from here probably wont happen.

I have a warco 14" bandsaw, which ive gradually sorted out, but i find that i never use it, and was thinking of listing it up for sale anyway (ill sell it on a metal work forum, as, whilst it does wood, it has a good reduction gear set for slowing the blade for metal) so i dont even really know why im considering this one.

I guess im a sucker for nice cast objects, and (some) art-deco.

Would have thought someone on lumberjocks would give you a drawing with acurate dimensions that you could make a mould from

I think it may be one of those ones that ill regrett not buying if i dont.

Its cheap enough that cost isnt a consideration. Its just the space, and that i was planning on selling my existing saw through lack of use.

Indeed, i suspect that may be the only way ill be able to convince my partner that its not a foolish idea - which it probably is anyway.

For context, my wadkin ags - i now have 2 and a half of them, when i really only want one.

Back