I have an imposter in my elm pile!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
My friend's dad unfortunately died a couple of months ago, and she asked me to make a memorial park bench for him. Well I was super honoured to be asked, and what I think is brilliant is that i'll be making it from his own giant stash of slabbed elm which seems particularly fitting. I'll do a project build on that in due course but I digress, in amongst the elm was a single thick plank of something else that clearly wasn't elm. My friend insisted I take it (who am I to argue) and now I'd like to figure out what it is!
It came to me with a very dirty, very dark surface, here it is after being wire brushed to relieve it of the dirt:

As you can see I cut an end and planed a small section to see the grain. At first I thought the dark colour was some kind of stain, but there are saw marks in the dark area, who doesn't sand them out before applying a stain? But on the other hand, what wood darkens naturally that much? So planing revealed a wide variety of colour and also very close growth rings (mmm, quartersawn)

The light marks perpendicular to the grain are my planing marks

The live edge is quite textured

Ok what else... It's very smooth to the touch, even before sanding, its very heavy and very stiff. It doesn't smell distinctly when cut.
A quick google made me think perhaps its teak? Aside from that i'm clueless.

I'll add that i used a repsirator to sand it just in case, as i've no idea what it might be.

it looks more like a coniferous timber to me, but what I dont know

if it doesnt smell, then that kind of suggests its not coniferous, as they are virtually all resinous

Loks like a slab ofsome sort of pine to me. Like no Yew i have ever seen, not orange enough.
I've used yew just like that. After many years of exposure to air it goes a nondescript brown which is not superficial. I've turned it and its been uniformly coloured all the way through, spoiling it completely to my mind.

Looks like Yew to me, if it's hard it's Yew.
Another vote for yew. I doubt it is cedar as that is really quite soft - quite tricky to turn because of that. But then that would have been some yew tree both in girth and straightness of the trunk.

I seen somewhere that yew is the second hardest wood to olive in Europe.

Certainly recommend masking up - there's a thread somewhere recently that included a reference to a chart of the impact of many woods on us humans.

Thanks everyone, I think we have a clear winner!

Now I just have to decide what to use it for...

Back