I have an apple tree trunk, any use to anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1ke_a

Established Member
Reaction score
Our dead apple tree recently came down and I have a trunk of approx 6' X 8".

I'm not going to be able to do anything with it so is it of value to anyone?

Cheers

Thanks Greg

I'm guessing apple wood isn't suitable for structural stuff, hence the turner comment?

Very nice for someone, I'm a tad far away.
I have mallet I made from an apple tree from my garden. I love it. I'm going to plant an apple tree or two in my new garden, if it ever stops looking like a building site.
S

I spoke with the chaps at my local windmill and am waiting to see if they can use it.

Sounds like cutting it down into 1' lengths will be the best option to tidy things up and/or prep it for any turners

Steve, thanks, I might have to have a go with making a mallett

Hi Mike, very good of you to post it up here, if I wasn't inbetween workshops at the moment and lacking storage space I'd be over like a shot !

Better not to cut it to short lengths like that, end splits and cracking usually penetrate a good few inches in from either end and on a one foot length might leave nothing in the middle that is usable !

Best left whole if possible, or as long as possible if it is in the way, three or four foot lengths wouldn't be too bad.

Can't believe no one has been after it yet, whereabouts in Sussex are you ?

Cheers, Paul

Apple hand tools, such as wooden planes, are highly regarded.

If all else fails it burns wonderfully!

paulm":38hbeps5 said:
Hi Mike, very good of you to post it up here, if I wasn't inbetween workshops at the moment and lacking storage space I'd be over like a shot !

Better not to cut it to short lengths like that, end splits and cracking usually penetrate a good few inches in from either end and on a one foot length might leave nothing in the middle that is usable !

Best left whole if possible, or as long as possible if it is in the way, three or four foot lengths wouldn't be too bad.

Can't believe no one has been after it yet, whereabouts in Sussex are you ?

Cheers, Paul

Cheers Paul and I'll hold off taking a saw to it! I'm in no real rush so can hang onto it if someone wants it.

I'm in mid Sussex. Drop me a direct msg if you're interested

Not trying to hijack, but have some Apple too, been taking up space in the garden for a few month now, so if anyone near Poole is interested let me know.

Back