I have a wheel question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of the turning community here use CBN wheels but because the descriptions of those are a little conflicting I would steer clear of them. A CBN wheel is made of Cubic Boron Nitride. The descriptions of those two mention them having diamonds. I would be looking to a more reputable seller or at least one that has the information in their adds correct. For example. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...essers/76621-cbn-grinding-wheels?item=77J8145 You will need to chase down sellers closer to home.

Something else to realize is that most CBN wheels are made of steel, thus heavy. Unless your 6" grinder is a powerful one, spinning up CBN wheels at startup will do it in in a short time. A pair of 8" wheels is usually paired up with a 1 hp grinder. I don't know for sure but 6" should probably go on a 1/2 hp, preferably 3/4 hp grinder. There are some CBN wheels that are made of aluminium that reduce the weight that would work on a marginally powered grinder. I remember there being a manufacturer in Eastern Europe but can't find them now that I want to.

Another thing to know about CBN, and diamond too, is that you can only grind hard steels like HSS on them as soft steel/iron dull them and they can't be renewed.

Pete

Lots of the turning community here use CBN wheels but because the descriptions of those are a little conflicting I would steer clear of them. A CBN wheel is made of Cubic Boron Nitride. The descriptions of those two mention them having diamonds. I would be looking to a more reputable seller or at least one that has the information in their adds correct. For example. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...essers/76621-cbn-grinding-wheels?item=77J8145 You will need to chase down sellers closer to home.

Something else to realize is that most CBN wheels are made of steel, thus heavy. Unless your 6" grinder is a powerful one, spinning up CBN wheels at startup will do it in in a short time. A pair of 8" wheels is usually paired up with a 1 hp grinder. I don't know for sure but 6" should probably go on a 1/2 hp, preferably 3/4 hp grinder. There are some CBN wheels that are made of aluminium that reduce the weight that would work on a marginally powered grinder. I remember there being a manufacturer in Eastern Europe but can't find them now that I want to.

Another thing to know about CBN, and diamond too, is that you can only grind hard steels like HSS on them as soft steel/iron dull them and they can't be renewed.

Pete
Great advice, thanks a lot... I'll wait on the CBN and probably start off with the 40mm Aluminium oxide disc I posted, cheers 🤘👍

I have had a Woodcut True cut CBN wheel for a few years now and wouldn't go back to a white wheel for final touching on my gouges.

I had a total brain cell fade a while back and without thinking touched a bit of aluminium on the CBN wheel. I thought that I had screwed it proper job, but I phoned Axminster, who I bought the wheel from, and they told me they have a CBN wheel cleaner block. It took a little time but I got it back to clean again. Now as good as new.

My grinder was bought second hand about 25 years back. It's a B&D Heavy Duty model. One thing is that it takes literally about 5 minutes to stop spinning when switched off. Nearly forgot, it's a 380w motor, 1/2 hp.

Back