I have a splinter Now out PHOTO!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":z4paox4o said:
Pah! That's nothing, I made a jewellery box out the last splinter I had. Unusual spalting too.
Thats nothing!
Well, I made a walking stick out of the last splinter in my hand, still got it somewhere.

Years ago we were clearing some ground of mostly big laurel bushes. I had the chainsaw, and suddenly the guy who clearing for me started to wave - he'd realised there was something amiss with the other guy with us. Laurel shatters and splinters dreadfully, and Vic (who wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed) had thrown a branch about seven or eight feet in length onto the fire. In passing a broken side branch had gone through his earlobe, the heavy end of the branch catching up and overtaking, twisting it a full 360 degrees. I was afraid to pull it, so had to cut the branch several inches either side. He came out of the doctors feeling quite self important as the office staff had come out with cameras as they'd not seen anything so funny for years.

Hand still swollen like a blown up glove. I've lost sensation in about half of my palm, (thank goodness it's not one of my fingers or thumb). The anaesthetic has re-started the pleurisy from a month ago, so back off work and on antibiotics. (The anaesthetist was concerned that this might happen). Life is good.

I was helping a mate out stripping an old house when I was about 19; I was throwing stuff out of the upstairs window while he was stacking it into a skip; we had a good system going. he would shout 'clear' and out would come another lenth of old skirting or architrave, he would grab it and dump it in the skip and repeat. Until one really scabby bit of skirting went a bit further and hit the side of the skip and splintered apart. He yelps and shouts to come down as he had a splinter. I laughed until I looked out the window and saw an 18" piece of old pine skirting sticking out of the side of his head! Missed his eye by an inch, went in on the edge of his eye socket and came out about 2" past his ear. Ended up with a lovely scar until his hair grey back

We started reading about health and safety after that.

Fatboy":yxee2w4d said:
I was helping a mate out stripping an old house when I was about 19; I was throwing stuff out of the upstairs window while he was stacking it into a skip; we had a good system going. he would shout 'clear' and out would come another lenth of old skirting or architrave, he would grab it and dump it in the skip and repeat. Until one really scabby bit of skirting went a bit further and hit the side of the skip and splintered apart. He yelps and shouts to come down as he had a splinter. I laughed until I looked out the window and saw an 18" piece of old pine skirting sticking out of the side of his head! Missed his eye by an inch, went in on the edge of his eye socket and came out about 2" past his ear. Ended up with a lovely scar until his hair grey back

We started reading about health and safety after that.
Ouch! that was sooo lucky!

When i first worked on site as a young pup, one of the old boys had a special hat he wore when carrying floor joists that had a flap which protected his neck. I asked him about it and he said it came from his uncle who used to manually unload timber at the local docks before it was all mechanised. He said you don't want a splinter through your jugular when slinging timbers on and off your neck. I've always been wary of carrying timber on my shoulder after that mental image.

Some years ago I had a 3/4 inch splinter from a sheet of 'wood-grain effect' ply go right under my left thumbnail; dead-centre and all the way down to the root of the nail. Apart from the pain when it went in, it wasn't so bad, but I guessed it would go bad ways, as we say in Brum! It was a barbed splinter, and I felt the nail would have to be removed to get the splinter out.

I didn't fancy that, so I got a new Stanley knife blade and gradually shaved away the nail, over the splinter, until the blighter was exposed, and I could lift the splinter out with tweezers. Took me about 30 minutes, but the only soreness I felt was when lifting the splinter out. I was left with a 'notch' and a divided thumb nail, which took about a fortnight to 'grow out'. Fortunately I never had any infection... I gained a great deal of satisfaction when I was finally able to trim away the last evidence of the 'notch'!

Here endeth the shaggy dog tale which happens to be true!

:D

My whole school learned about sharp objects the hard way via the very public accident that befell a young John Buchanan, He fell over in the playground, with a compass in his shorts pocket that went completely through one of his spuds. He screamed the place down, it was an unforgettably horrendous incident and every time I get a decent sized splinter that hurts I think of John and somehow it doesn't seem so bad

Here ya go.
IMG_20160430_201302b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160430_201302b.jpg
    IMG_20160430_201302b.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 383
Back