I hate the smell of a router motor burning in the morning!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
There I was, listening to the footy, working on my daughter's first bed. I'd finally got round to using my Jessem Router table for the first time, using the fence, featherboards and everything, I was really going to town!

Then after about 10cm of routing in pine (depth of just 8mm), the motor slows right down, sounds really low and gives a bad electrical burning smell and a bit of smoke as well. :cry:

Am I right to assume that the motor has burnt out?

The model is a Bosch GMF 1400 CE and it hasn't been overused by any means.

What should i do? I've found that spare parts are readily available but how do I know what to replace? I imagine returning it to Bosch would be expensive? maybe I'll give them a ring.

Has anyone been in the same place and solved the problem?

Cheers

Dave

8mm in 1 pass sounds pretty deep, what size cutter were you using ? The motot may not be burnt out, does it still run? if yes give it a minute running under no load.

actually, I just checked, it was 4mm deep with a 3/4" straight cutter, 1/2" shank but just cutting with half the width of the cutter.

i've run it with no load and it's no better and still smells.

I would not say that cut was excessive, I regularly cut more than this in oak and your router should have handled it.

Not that I want to spell doom & gloom but about a year ago I had a GOF900ACE burn out having had it for over 15 years - when I enquired they wanted more than the cost of a new one to repair it!

Dodge":2ohxc6dq said:
I would not say that cut was excessive, I regularly cut more than this in oak and your router should have handled it.

Not that I want to spell doom & gloom but about a year ago I had a GOF900ACE burn out having had it for over 15 years - when I enquired they wanted more than the cost of a new one to repair it!

Yep, i cut deeper than that in mahogany and maple frequently.

I imagine it will cost a bomb, but if i could figure out what parts to replace, maybe i could do it cheaply?

There are a number of websites showing parts diagrams of the motor and the parts aren't too pricey.

Hudson Carpentry":qkjuuis3 said:
How old is the router. Bosch do a 3 year guarantee on there professional range and will uplift the machine.

That's a thought! not sure, must be around 3 years. Would I have needed to register or would i need the receipt?

I'd take it in for a quote to repair when you get the outlandish price use the "what the jells wrong to cost that much?" line then take it home find the parts and fix it myself.

Just to jump in here only a month ago ....i had a cordless drill that was over 15 years old (cost alot when i bought it)..but finally it would work only intermiteenly so i contacted Bosch ...they sent a courier around to pick up .....then sent me an estimate about a week later £49.99 all in delivery back to me as well if i did not want to proceed the drill would be returned to me in bits .......£49.99 might sound alot but if it lasts another 15 years i wont care and it works a treat

Dave

Well, there can't be many things to consider.

It's either the speed controller (or part of that circuit), or the motor windings. My money is on the speed controller.

If the body got very hot, it might be the motor.

You might try Miles Tools and Machinery at Shepton Mallet. The "speed governor" is £36.

Whip the top off, and see if it's scorched (#35 in the diagram).

Time to get a little sneaky.

My Fein multitool recently seemed to explode in my hand. Three flashes and a few bangs. Nearly wet myself.
Problem was a blown capacitor which when I took it to pieces was evident by the burn marks around it. I asked Fein for a price and was quoted £89.90 + £35 P&P. I rang around the local toolshops to see if any had a in-shop repair facility and found Wokingham Tools. They charged £19, it took a day and I was back in action.

You could try finding a local, unpretentious place to mend it. Fein, Bosch et al all seem to believe their dung doesn't stink.

regards
Alan

Some of the premium brand repair services may well include a complete overhall, and replacement of many parts, hence the prices.

From what I hear, Bosch repair service is pretty good.

I managed to get through to Bosch today, they offer free collection, quotation and return. Pretty good service! Let's just hope it's not something too expensive although the burning smell and smoke does make me thing it's the motor.

When I bought it just over 3 yrs ago it was £220, it's now £320, ouch!

I have had Brilliant service from Bosch and quick, I had my drill done see above post you will get a quote which i thought was superbly quick and reasonable another 15 years of drilling :D

Thats good service, collect and quotation and return.
Most places charge twenty quid to have a look and tell you it's cream crackered.
Slightly off topic, I took a cassette player in years back for a quote for repair.
They repaired it and wanted thirty quid. I told them they could keep it.
And went and bought a nice new HiFi instead.

Well, I just got a quote from Bosch. The armature needs replacing and it'll cost £170!

Doesn't really seem worth it if a new one is about £320 and would include a 3 yr guarantee.

I really liked the Bosch with it's twin bases so I can have one permanently under the table and easily swap out the motor into the plunge base.

Can anyone recommend any better alternatives?

Back