I hate the smell of a router motor burning in the morning!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, scubadoo

Is that £170 for then to replace it or to supply you with the spare part?
You might find it only costs just more that £100 for the part, it you fit it your self.

Pete

Racers":1i248ri9 said:
Hi, scubadoo

Is that £170 for then to replace it or to supply you with the spare part?
You might find it only costs just more that £100 for the part, it you fit it your self.

Pete

That included the repair.

I've found it for around £140/150 - but then I'm not experienced at repairing these things.

I just worry about spending that much on something that is now 4 yrs old and will have no warranty. But a replacement is over £300.

If only i could just buy this bit - i asked Bosch and they said I couldn't.

What do people with router tables normally do, keep unscrewing and swapping the whole router and base or just have two routers? I really loved the combo thing.

GMF1400CE_6.jpg

Miles Tools are around the same price. It is a lot for an armature, I agree.

Bosch should warranty their repair, and even if they don't, you have some reasonable expectation under the usual consumer legislation. It's not complicated to swap it over yourself, but frankly, you'd save pennies, and have no comeback as a consequence.

I'd get it mended, myself. It's still only half the cost of a new one.

E.

Eric The Viking":38bav8ph said:
Bosch should warranty their repair, and even if they don't, you have some reasonable expectation under the usual consumer legislation.

E.

But it's outside of their 3yr warranty? Surely they don't legally have to do anything.

And I'm just dubious about getting it repaired with the worry that something else will go and I'm not under warranty.

I rang them today to see if there's anything better they can do for me. Ideally I'd just buy a new motor as I have all the bases and other bits. We'll see but I doubt I'll be 'allowed' to get a completely new one. :roll:

scubadoo":1zqo6h4z said:
Eric The Viking":1zqo6h4z said:
Bosch should warranty their repair, and even if they don't, you have some reasonable expectation under the usual consumer legislation.

E.

But it's outside of their 3yr warranty? Surely they don't legally have to do anything.

Sorry: I meant their repair has to last, if you pay for it to!
And I'm just dubious about getting it repaired with the worry that something else will go and I'm not under warranty.

I rang them today to see if there's anything better they can do for me. Ideally I'd just buy a new motor as I have all the bases and other bits. We'll see but I doubt I'll be 'allowed' to get a completely new one. :roll:

There's not much else to it. If the speed control goes, it's a simple circuit board replacement. The stator windings are unlikely to go, and you'd hope nothing mechanical goes (it certainly shouldn't), so I'd suggest it's the cheapest option.

But it's not my router!

Cheers,

E.

PS: Given elsewhere we discuss Wadkin motors that are 60-70 years old and perfectly functional, it is a bit annoying, but there are a number of legit reasons why it might do that - damage from sharp bits being ingested, for example. That said, it's unlikely and it really shouldn't have failed. Everything is built to a price these days.

I had some good news today. I spoke to Bosch yesterday and asked if there was anything they could do for me as it's not long out of warranty and they've agreed to knock the price down from £170 to £114. Still pricey but definitely better than buying a new machine. So a good result in the end.

Back