I got my mojo back

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
Before Christmas things were not going to plan and I was getting really quite despondent, even to the point that I didn't want to to make anything any more. Sell all of my tools, empty the shed and give up woodwork. A bit drastic, I know, but that's how I felt.

Instead, I started work on the piece below. Now I know it's only a jewellery box and I know it's not perfect. The important thing for me was that I enjoyed making it. No, I really enjoyed making it! I regained my enthusiasm and my love of wood. In short, I got my mojo back!

I didn't do any WIP pictures as I wasn't even sure I would complete it. Anyway, here it is. A jewellery box in ash. Finished with several coats of lemon oil.

Jewellery Box 1.jpg

Jewellery Box 2.jpg

Jewellery Box 3.jpg

Jewellery Box 4.jpg

Attachments

• Jewellery Box 1.jpg
    Jewellery Box 1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,771
  • Jewellery Box 2.jpg
    Jewellery Box 2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • Jewellery Box 3.jpg
    Jewellery Box 3.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • Jewellery Box 4.jpg
    Jewellery Box 4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,771
i like ash, but find it quite challenging to finish. i must get some lemon oil, because that looks great- retaining the pale shade of the ash and bringing out the grain.

What a beautiful job. did you work from any plans or was it all in your head? Its inspired me to make one for my wife if I can find any decent plans.

bobscarle":3fboqtw3 said:
Before Christmas things were not going to plan and I was getting really quite despondent, even to the point that I didn't want to to make anything any more. Sell all of my tools, empty the shed and give up woodwork. A bit drastic, I know, but that's how I felt.

Been in that state a few times, slung expensive pieces of timber on the floor and smashed it grrrrr, sometimes close to wielding a hammer or whatever is in my hand onto offending article then 'er indoors says something like "do you want a cup of tea?" gets me away from it, "leave it till tomorrow" then it's not so bad, trouble is sometimes she can't see where I've gone wrong but to me it simply is not right, I've had to start again a few times so glad to hear there is someone else out there I can relate to and sympathise with.
By the way Bob, it's not 'just a jewellery box,' it's something half the nation would love to be able to make.

Andy

andersonec":1ojdpw9c said:
it's something half the nation would love to be able to make.

And most of the other half would probably love to be able to make once they realise that it's actually possible for, like, people to make things. I mean - wow.

I've certainly had some periods of working out in the garage for... about five or ten minutes at a time, before making some stupid mistake, downing tools and coming back in again for the day. I've never made such a nice little box, though!

Peter Sefton":2vxnrlgq said:
Sometimes a cup of tea will do it; sometimes a couple of days off the tools will do it.
Cheers Peter
...or being 'in the zone.' Clear the 'shop, have a really good tidy up, have a brew (or two) sharpen the tools, calm down and concentrate and it usually (not always) comes together. That is, of course, if you've really thought your way through what needs to be done...if you haven't it'll still go TU.

By the way Bob, it's not 'just a jewellery box,' it's something half the nation would love to be able to make.

+1

=D> =D> great box and really nice finish. NOW... what will you make next?

Bob

Thank you all for your comments.

I guess once you calm down, perhaps walk away and leave things alone for a while (in my case a little over a week), you realise how much you enjoy woodwork. I try not to analyse it too much. Getting back in to the shed, tidying up, sharpening a few chisels, little jobs like that, seemed to help. It is also re-assuring in one way to remember that other people make mistakes.

To answer a few points:

My next project is another box, only bigger. My niece has asked me to make a toy box for a friends baby, also in ash.

Lemon oil is lovely. It is much lighter that Danish oil and doesn't colour the wood as much. And the wife loves the smell.

I didn't work off a plan when I made this. My wife made a couple of decisions in the design, the spacing and size of the dovetails and the drawer front, the rest just came out of my head.

My next project is another box, only bigger. My niece has asked me to make a toy box for a friends baby, also in ash.

Hi Bob

I'd be interested in seeing a wip. Our first grandchild is due early March and it's been suggested I make a toybox.

cheers

Bob

Dave, that's a good looking toybox. The one I have planned is a lot plainer than that, similar to the ottoman I made a year or so back. Bit smaller but the same basic construction.

Ottoman3.jpg

Ottoman4.jpg

Bob

Yeah, I get a bit down at times too. What depresses me is trying to make space / clean up my fairly large workshop which is so cluttered with other bits and pieces, and things you don't throw out because you know they'll come in useful (and sometimes they really do). The trouble is, after clearing up for a couple of hours it always seems to look the same. Then when things go wrong when I'm trying to make something, I tend to reach despair point - BUT - it never lasts, and then it's back to something creative. Another thing I find seriously annoying is trying to make something and not getting the time to finish it because something else has to take a higher priority. I also keep coming across sketch plans for things that I had intended making, never got round to it, and sometimes had completely forgotten about. As I said, seriously annoying.

It helps to know it's not just me, and.....

I would love to be able to make a jewellery box like that.

K

Back