I Gaging Snap Check+

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
This may be seen by some as a bit gadgety but I thought I'd share it as I've found it to be a great bit of kit.

I have always used a Trend gauge for setting the depth of cut and fence gap on my router table. Unfortunately said gauge met with an accident and so I was in the market for a replacement and ended up buying one of these from Peter Sefton's emporium.

IMG_8691.jpg

What don't I like about it ...1) the name - gauge includes a u ... 2) made in China - I naively thought it was going to be made in the US.

Those points apart I really like it.

I regularly make inlaid jewellery boxes and having a digital read out means it's easier to be accurate. Age has dictated I am borderline for reading glasses so anything that avoids putting them on gets my vote.

The anvil is spring loaded and can be sat on the router bit while I adjust it to get exactly the depth I want.

IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

The magnets in the handle keep it in place leaving both hands free.

IMG_8694.jpg

It is bang on in terms of accuracy (which is something I understand I-Gaging have a reputation for) and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea it works for me.

I'm not sure I would ever use one on my router table. I always set the cutter to zero height and them rely on the height adjustment which I have found to be very accurate on teh Jessem. Dont think the magnet would stick very well to aluminium or phenolic. I could see it being more useful on the table saw for things like tennon shoulders etc

Thanks @Blackswanwood I use my a lot around the workshop, this video shows a range of uses. This later version also has the screen that can be swapped for both left or right hand reading. It is useful for setting up the surface planer knifes, I also show it being used on a hand plane but I personally never use it for that, iGaging have a separate product for that but not something I have bothered getting in stock.

Cheers

Peter

Bearing in mind how cheap all of the digital measuring devices (angle boxes,calliper’s,protractor’s etc) can now be picked up for I find it rather annoying that no one seems to have made a reasonably priced vernier height gauge similar to this …unless of course you know differently?
7FB64162-04BE-4FF6-89D4-4B7933DD9C80.jpeg

Back