I found a new glue.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
"Colle Bois" Interior Wood Adhesive. Is anyone familiar with it? If it works as claimed it has half an hour open time, which is a big improvement on the 20 minutes I'm suffering at the moment. What's your experience?

Where have you seen it, Mike? If my (admittedly very rusty indeed) French serves me correctly, "Colle Bois" simply translates as "Wood Glue", though not necessarily in that order.

Curious that bnq are also selling very similar branded Diall adhesive with same description and curious .91litre pack size.
With it being interior glue is is possibly a d1 type so beware of the type of job you use it for.
My go to glue is everbuild 502 which can be had from 4.99 per litre d3 performance and I’ve not had open time issue with it. Looking at the data sheet it does not quote open time to compare with your 20-30 minutes.
I tend to do phased glue ups with some parts initially fitted without glue for jigging and alignment purposes and then return in an hour or so to part the dry joints and apply glue to those.

I used to use Balcotan glue, a polyurethane, for long open times. It was loved by boatbuilders because it was waterproof and strong and of course, the long open time helped when gluing large, long sections. Unfortunately, it disappeared but fortunately, a superb replacement has arrived called Collano Semparoc see here http://www.robbins.co.uk/Pdf%20Files/Co ... mparoc.pdf.

I buy it from chandlers like https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/mer ... de=cu49565

It is very strong and sets very hard. There is much less squeeze out than with say Gorilla Poly glue but what does occur is best prevented from reaching any show surface by say, tape or wax, as otherwise you'll spend ages scraping it off.

It is fairly slippery but not as much as Gorilla glue. - still works pretty well though, if you have made your joints overtight.

Chris, How well does it keep once opened?
My previous uses of PU glues have been very wasteful as try as I may to keep the air/moisture out, the rest of the container goes solid within a few weeks.

I bought two litres of Egger PU at a car boot for £3 and they lasted me five years. I discovered (I think) the answer - make sure when you replace the cap there's a smear of glue around it, you actually glue the top back on. Once in a while pick the hardened glue off and start again. I forget the brand of the one I used before them, but I remember they did market two different speeds - 5 mins and 30 mins. iirc.
I use - https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/pr ... thane-glue
but that has about 15mins settng time (though possibly a bit more in the cold). It's very good and comparatively cheap, though.

Myfordman":3dpml13d said:
Chris, How well does it keep once opened?
My previous uses of PU glues have been very wasteful as try as I may to keep the air/moisture out, the rest of the container goes solid within a few weeks.

I have found it to keep pretty well (around a year to 18months) in the long open time version but the rapid version lasts only a few months. I don't bother with this one though as I find Gorilla glue works well for me on jobs that don't require long open times and this can be bought in smaller quantities. I still use PVA for some things and that seems to last forever!

Myfordman":3jreu6oo said:
Curious that bnq are also selling very similar branded Diall adhesive with same description and curious .91litre pack size.

It seems to me to be bizarre that a wood glue should be in a tub. Tiling adhesive, yes, but wood glue?

Given that it is in a tub I would guess that the 0.91L is actually 1kg.

Back