I finally did it....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Established Member
Reaction score
...a new Scheppach TS2500 that is :D ....just placed the order at D&M (Rutlands please note - my recent poor experience with you has cost you this order!) so hopefully in the coming weeks I'll be up to my ears in heavy boxes + a rather daunting assembly challenge...but that's all part of the fun...

Does anyone know what the recent availability of the TS2500 is (I remember reading posts a few weeks back about delivery delays etc.)?

Can't wait :p

Hi Martin,

You could tell us what made you pick this saw, then the post is in the correct area 8) , nice choice by the way. :D

Hi Dave,

A good point - lateral thinking is a wonderful concept :D - here goes...

My current TS is a noisy Draper 10" jobbie, so I was looking at a significant upgrade (otherwise there'd be little point). My workshop doesn't have bags of space, but I wanted a TS that could grow if/when I move to a bigger workshop (something Adam said - you wont be in the same workshop for ever).

In this respect, the 2500 does have some space saving features (fold-down side table, easy to take the sliding table on/off, plus you can mount it on wheels. Also, when you take all the extra bits off (or fold them down), the core size of the saw is not too large when compared to others, making it easier to store away in a corner.

I was initially thinking about the TS2000, but was so impressed by Adam's feat of getting the 2500 into his workshop that I decided to go one machine up in the range. Also, I'm rather glad the 2500 has an extension side table supported by wings (that attach to the body - rather than free floor standing) because I plan to mount the thing on a wheel kit, which will add to the height and could complicate matters otherwise.

The other thing I was looking for was precision and an induction motor - something you can probably take for granted in this price bracket, but I've heard good things about the Scheppach.

Some other things that swung it for me (icing on the cake):
  • * German made (not far east etc.)
    * cast iron table
    * ability to take dadoo heads/slot cutters
I was also looking at the Record (forget the model - the new one with CI table), which looks equally impressive (and cheaper), but I was concerned that it would take more space and wouldn't be so easy to move around.

Martin.

Well done, my experience of D&M has been good - delivery was fast. What more can I say? (PS: are you going to their show?)

AS far as I'm aware, they are shipping the saw as normal - it was only when they introduced them their was a few supply issues.

Adam

I suffer the same as you did Martin by having a Draper TS.
Its had its uses but I would like to replace it with something better.
A Kity 419 is my 1st choice but regardless of what NMA told me they are rarer than hens teeth.
I had my new MachineMart catalogue yesterday & see that they now stock Sheppach & Electra Beckum kit.
It's very noticable that they have added a fair bit to the price that others charge for the same tools.

Neil - actually, I'd heard this before but am not overly worried. I'd be very surprised if Scheppach were to accept shoddy quality (wheel kit accepted :shock:) from their suppliers - it's their name after all, and the top is such an important part of a TS.

Glad to hear that D&M is a good choice Adam - I was considering Rutlands, but for reasons I won't go into here they've lost out. I also considered Homeland for a while, but in the end felt it better if I build myself (at least then I know the intricacies of the beast).

Doubt I'll go to the show - I think I've blown my budget for tools today (and for the next 5 years at least). Wandering around their show will only tempt me further :oops:

Dewy - I really feel for you re: the Draper. To be honest it's got to the point where I avoid using it because it's so noisy and rattles so much when you switch on. In some respects that's what swung me towards upgrading - little point in having the workshop space used up if you don't really use it ...

Cheers,
Martin.

roy":xnfnhsgv said:
Well that's lifted my sprits I can tell you.

Roy

There's alway hope :D Actually my Dad keeps telling me that I should hire a workshop (space, not tools) if it's becoming a problem. However, in this part of the South East I can't imagine what the cost would be (does anyone have any ideas?).

Also, I have the horrible feeling that my hobby would suffer if I had to drive/travel each time I wanted to do some woodworking...

Martin,

I used to rent an old farm building, chicken shed actually, twas a breeze built and cost me 200 quid a month. Place was freezing in the summer, as cold as outerspace in the winter and had a leaky roof :(

Have moved now from essex and have a garage, while no where near the space I used to have, it font cost me 200 quid a month, its warm, its 10 paces away and its dry.

Lots of farmers rent out "spare units" and 200 quid was about the going rate in Essex. However... 200 quid a month is a lot of money when you could be spending it on tools. OK the extra space was nice but it want worth it in the end cos I had to drag myself up there in the end and even then it wasnt no where near often enough to justify 200 a month.

Looked at some commercial buildings and the cheapest I found there was 800/pm :cry:

If you do decide to have a look just drive round some local farms and have a word. Might be lucky and find a nice warm dry building for a tenner a week but I doubt it :lol:

Signal

Martin, I bought my Draper from a local tool shop about 7 years ago.
It cost almost £300 then which is 3 times as much as similar saws these days.
Taking inflation into account , at todays prices, it was like paying £500 for a cheap £100 saw.
It's served its purpose so I have no complaints.

Hi Martin

I,m sure there'll be no problem with the quality, I was only quoting from an nma posting.

I'm sure that you'll really enjoy the new saw.

Cheers
Neil

Signal":175le39w said:
Martin,

I used to rent an old farm building, chicken shed actually, twas a breeze built and cost me 200 quid a month. Place was freezing in the summer, as cold as outerspace in the winter and had a leaky roof :(

Blimey! 200 quid for a chicken shed. That's exactly what I'm afraid of - paying through the nose for something which isn't really up to the purpose anyway.

And you hit the nail on the head re: justifying it. I find it hard enough to get time in the workshop these days, but it'd really grate if I was also paying a few hundred quid a month for the privilege. As you say, it's a lot of money that could be put to better use :twisted:.

As for £800 a month, well..doesn't bear thinking about. The only solution is a much bigger house with a double garage (well I can dream can't I?).

Dewy":175le39w said:
It cost almost £300 then which is 3 times as much as similar saws these days.
Taking inflation into account , at todays prices, it was like paying £500 for a cheap £100 saw.
It's served its purpose so I have no complaints.

Exactly my thoughts - mine is probably about the same age - as you say, a good machine for the time but the market has changed somewhat since then. I suppose it's done OK for me, but to be honest I didn't appreciate the importance of some those additional features (such as quiet motors!).

Newbie_Neil":175le39w said:
I,m sure there'll be no problem with the quality, I was only quoting from an nma posting.
I'm sure that you'll really enjoy the new saw.

I sure hope so. The only issue that's niggling me at the moment is whether I genuinely have the space for it (yes on paper I do, but I won't know for sure till it arrives...).

Blimey - email from D&M at around 12.30 today to say the TS has been dispatched. Now that's fast - only thing is, they've said it's direct dispatch from Scheppach - so does that mean it's on its way or not....?

Has anyone else ordered Scheppach kit from D&M that can elighten me? (they don't seem to be picking up the phone, otherwise I'd ask D&M directly).

I believe D&M and other "catalogue" people like Rutlands don't actually hold stock - they take the cash, but the machine comes direct from NMA (which almost makes it worth ordering direct), anyway, I reckon the easiest thing if you have any worries is to ring NMA directly, as they seemed to know what was going on with my order, despite the fact my contract was with Homewood.
So you would expect it to come direct from NMA.

Adam

Adam/Woodshavings - thanks for that. Actually I was somewhat surprised that they didn't answer the phone given the speed at which they processed the order, which is excellent.

Adam: the reason I'm curious about despatch is that of course I want to be at home to take delivery. I expect it'll have to be taken in box by box (i.e. unpacked on the van), so I want to be there to help, but I need to know which day...

D&M's website says something about being contacted to arrange a delivery date for tail-lift deliveries, which was why I was so surprised to receive a dispatch email. Presumably this is a "pseudo dispatch" - as in D&M have done their part, the rest being up to NMA.

Anyway, I'll get in touch with NMA tomorrow...

Cheers,
Martin

Martin":22uvok1n said:
Adam/Woodshavings - thanks for that. Actually I was somewhat surprised that they didn't answer the phone given the speed at which they processed the order, which is excellent.

Adam: the reason I'm curious about despatch is that of course I want to be at home to take delivery. I expect it'll have to be taken in box by box (i.e. unpacked on the van), so I want to be there to help, but I need to know which day...

D&M's website says something about being contacted to arrange a delivery date for tail-lift deliveries, which was why I was so surprised to receive a dispatch email. Presumably this is a "pseudo dispatch" - as in D&M have done their part, the rest being up to NMA.

Anyway, I'll get in touch with NMA tomorrow...

Cheers,
Martin

Another reason I like Homewood is that when they delivered my P/T and pillar drill, I got a bit bogged down in the traffic on the way back from london, they parked up outside the house, got everything ready to carry in, and then sat in the van until I got home. Admittedly not a very long wait, but you wouldn't get that from most companies, just a "called but you weren't in so we've sent it back to the manufacturer" type note.....

Adam

The delivery from NMA takes a few days (all down to the courier they use - and it's a few day service). When I ordered the HMS260, TS2500 and HA2600 (all individually), they all took about 4 days to deliver.

If you're closer to the couriers main routes, maybe it'll be faster though?

All my stuff came on pallets (as it's VERY heavy) - need 2 people at least if you're going to lift it. Mine also came packed upside down so I had to turn it over - but it was one of the very first deliveries (kit form!) - apparently they come more assembled now. This is a good thing as the assembly instructions were pretty poor (pictures showing components from the old TS2500 even though the manual was badged CI).

EXCELLENT saw though :)

Oh, and I ordered from Rutlands - the process was that the couriers call you to arrange a delivery date once NMA have requested the pick up.

I did try to speed the process up by pre-calling the couriers but they didn't like that much and it still took 4 days :(

Oh, and did I say already - great saw! ;)

Latest posts

Back