I finally bit the bullet!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g7g7g7g7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Gav, I'm absolutely new to the forums, absolutely new to turning but I've just gone given a large sum of money to Yandles in exchange for a lathe + chuck (record DML305), grinder, tools, abrasives, protective gear, finishes, a few very small bowl blanks for practice. My bank account is positively depressed but I'm very very excited and can't wait to get into it.

My first attempt at turning was a total washout, when I made my first proper carpentry workbench last year I left a 2" trench in the middle to use as a rail for a head and tailstock to be wedged into in order to run a rope and bungee to the roof and try to turn spindles, it was a disaster, all my bungee chords were too slack and by the time I got that sorted the stress on the bolts I had used for centres was too much and they bent and wobbled all over the place. It was a bit frustrating but I had plenty of other projects to get stuck into so I decided to can it for a while until I had a bit of spare cash to invest in a decent beginner lathe.

I'm going into this almost blind, I got a quick introductory lesson from a friends dad a few weeks ago, who seemed confident that I would be fine picking it up on my own so that was fairly reassuring, I've picked up a couple of books I found in charity stores and thank god for the internet.

So anyway, most of the advice I've found online so far is from the pages of this forum showing up on google searches for "best beginner lathe UK" and such so I thought I'd introduce myself to the community, looking forward to sharing the complete tat I make until I get half decent with you guys.

Over the winter I picked up a lot of good pieces which I've been saving for turning, I live on the West Coast of Scotland and the storms bring in some fantastic bits of wood but much of it is partly rotted, soft, there's some with excellent Spalting but I'm saving that stuff for when I've got a bit of experience, I've a some of access to wind-fallen beech, birch and tons of sycamore that seems much more beginner friendly.

Welcome aboard the slippery slope.

I'd also recommend this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elementary-Turning-Frank-Henry-Selden/dp/1440314101

(Search about a bit - I got it for about £15 and it was worth every penny and some, IMHO)

I've been intermittently intermittent and this lil old book has re-fired my interest.

I am working steadily through the exerceise, (which is astonsihing, considering my usual slap-dash approach to learning) and it feels like I am actaully improving. I'm keeping all the pieces and will post them up when I've completed all the basic exercises - That way the good people of this 'ere forum can cast their eyes and make appropriate noises to guide me further.

Enjoy the journey.

Greg

deema":bwfie93g said:
It's only 99p using the link, an absolute bargain!!!

£3.59 including postage, ordered and on it's way. I'm not spending any more money on this now, that's it, seriously, it's already been expensive enough! Don't be throwing any more suggestions at me for a while please, my account won't take it.

Welcome!

You will find a lot of threads written by people just starting out in turning (including me), so my advice would be use the search option above to find out about specific points and youtube is an excellent resource for tips.

Sharpening tools is your number one priority to learn after you've had your initial burst of enthusiasm!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!

:D

Oh yeah sharpening resources, any good youtube guides for sharpening turning tools in particular. I sharpen all my bench chisels and plane blades with wet and dry paper up to 2000 grit on a toughened glass plate.

As said above I've picked up a bench grinder as I've read that turning requires constant and regular sharpening

Here's one for you -
http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/grinding_ ... gjig2.html
There are others, CHJ of this parish does one if you do a search. They may appear fiddly and time consuming, but they are cheap to make and they will save you a fortune in tool steel - and a lot of frustration (I usually end up with tools looking more like paint scrapers than gouges :D ). Of course if you can find a club to join they may well have jigs on their wheels so you can do your basic shaping there and just touch up at home. Even the pro's use jigs - it cannot make sense not to when you see the price of tools, as you probably double their life expectancy. One local that I've watched takes about a second once the tool is in the jig (on a ProEdge - the angle is permanent).

Hi g7,
Welcome to the forum.You will get lots of help here,your nearest club is AYR&DISTRICT WOODTURNING CLUB
meetings are held on the first & third mondays each month in the Prestwick Community Center,Caerlaverock Road Prestwick,7pm--9pm.The next meeting is on Mon,18th of July.

Peter.

g7g7g7g7":1zpar4un said:
deema":1zpar4un said:
It's only 99p using the link, an absolute bargain!!!

£3.59 including postage, ordered and on it's way. I'm not spending any more money on this now, that's it, seriously, it's already been expensive enough! Don't be throwing any more suggestions at me for a while please, my account won't take it.

No more spend eh......so you've got sharpening equipment, turning tools, chucks, abrasives, finishing products, PPE all sorted....oh and wood :)

Seriously though, don't look at it as spending, it's investing in your creative development, totally different frame :)

beganasatree":17z9zmhx said:
Hi g7,
Welcome to the forum.You will get lots of help here,your nearest club is AYR&DISTRICT WOODTURNING CLUB
meetings are held on the first & third mondays each month in the Prestwick Community Center,Caerlaverock Road Prestwick,7pm--9pm.The next meeting is on Mon,18th of July.

Peter.

Nice one, I won't be able to make it this week but I'll try to keep the 1st free and get the next one. It seems very reasonable at £15p.a. and £1 a meet. Should be a good place to build up contacts and meet new people.

I bit the bullet a year ago and haven't looked back since... great hobby and once set up there's not really anymore big expense apart from the odd tool here and there.

Get reading the basics for safetys sake and get spinning, it's the best way to learn.

Hi Gav,

Welcome! I have found this forum a great source of experience and knowledge. I guess as I am also new to this I would recommend reading as much as possible but spending plenty of time getting to know your tools.

Look forward to seeing your work.

Back