I fear the "Slope" has caught me buy surprise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailer

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been teetering on the edge of the slope since i inherited a couple of Norris planes from my Grandad but managed to keep from falling over for a good few years and also being a self confessed normite..........i didn't think i was going to any time soon :wink:

P8110095.jpg

I then decided i wanted a #7 for the next project/s i'm about to embark on which will involve edge jointing a lot of boards and with that the #5 1/2 and the #4 1/2 followed pretty quickly :D .....not bad for £110 for the lot.
Non of them are collectors pieces but there all in good order and very little fettling was required.The #7,#4 1/2 are Records and the #5 1/2 is a Stanley.

P8110097_edited.jpg

I was cleaning the garage...or should i say Workshop :D out today and came accross a box which i'd forgotten about....it came along at the same time as the norris's and was pleasantly supprised with the contence :D

P8110102.jpg

There's a Record bullnose along with a Record #44 and a Marples #43 as for the smallest one its made by Marples and it looks like a smaller version of the #43 but its got no number on it.

Here they all are....and for a self confessed Normite they seem to be multiplying.......all i need know is a couple of shoulder planes and possibly a rebate plane :shock: :shock:

P8110103.jpg

Looks like i'll have to make a tool cabinet to put them in now and more to the point tumbling down the slope merrily :shock:

I'll have to get some decent sharpening equipment now .....does it ever end :lol: :lol:

Nailer,

I don't think you can show us any more pictures of your Norris Infills until you have lovingly restored them. Probably not very mush is needed beyond a clean and refinishing the handles. :)

Nailer":2iapfovb said:
a Marples #43 as for the smallest one its made by Marples and it looks like a smaller version of the #43 but its got no number on it.
#40 I would guess, subject to the whole #043 - #040 thing that happened with Record applying to Marples or not. Single fence rod is the issue.

Nailer":2iapfovb said:
a self confessed Normite
No one with three grooving planes and two infills can call themselves a Normite. :lol: Either you're a neader wannabe or a c*ll*ct*r, and you don't want to be a c*ll*ct*r do you? :shock: . Nope, the only thing to do if you want to stay a Normite is follow my three step plan:
1. Package up all the planes securely
2. Address the outside of the package to me (address available via PM)
3. Go to nearest Post Office and despatch post haste.

Simple, no? :D

Now 'scuse me while I go and get something to mop up this drool with... =P~

Cheers, Alf

Yep...the Norris's are in need of a bit of TLC.....any recommendations for a finish for the handles ??

:lol: ....as for being a c*ll*ct*r....nah.....they're all users or should i say will be with the bedroom furniture prodjects i have in mind :D
Must admit though i was pleasantly supprised by the amount of planes i've managed to accumulate :shock:

As for sharpening....looks like the tormek could be the order of the day.....been after an excuse to buy one for ages :D

#40 I would guess, subject to the whole #043 - #040 thing that happened with Record applying to Marples or not. Single fence rod is the issue.

Alice refereth to early Record #043 having but a single rod. At least that's the implication of the early catalogue photographs and captions.

BugBear

Man i can't believe it. i got another orange impulse nailer I'll trade you for them two Norris just the way they are. I'll even throw in a Bosch power hand planer. :lol:
I think Alf shoud report you to the appropriate authorities for everyday those planes are not cleaned and used!!
All I ever got from my grandfather was permission to use the big hole in the outhouse :)

NICE

Back