I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luxury. We used to dream of having the mould.

I remember the weekly nuclear attack drills in school in the early 60's. We had to crawl under our desks and wait for either the blast or the all-clear siren. We knew what to do when we heard the all-clear siren, but no one ever explained to us second graders what to do in the event of a blast. I don't remember ever asking.

Yea but then mars got the clever idea to market the fun sized bars as the standard bar then later re use the standard moulds as giant bars pretty clever
Yea but then mars got the clever idea to market the fun sized bars as the standard bar then later re use the standard moulds as giant bars pretty clever
That is a little unfair, it is all about childhood obesity
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...at-dairy-milk-childhood-obesity-a7564131.htmlReminds me of a local, then large manufacturing company which printed it’s own notepaper/forms, this was pre internet when most correspondence was on paper and a lot of handwritten information, typing required a typewriter and only the secretaries used them. This company had an employee suggestion scheme, and the proposal was to make the spacing of the lines on the pre printed sheets slightly narrower so more information could be given on each sheet thereby saving paper. An exercise was carried out, the savings calculated, a percentage of the saving paid to the employee and the sheets duly printed.

Most users then wrote on alternate lines. I suspect that these smaller bars would have similar results.

Writing on alternate lines? Sounds like the lines books from school. Alternate narrow and wide lines, we had to write in the narrow lines with every letter touching the top and bottom line, and the top and tail of ever letter that had them touching the line above or below. Ten extra lines for every letter found incorrect. To make it worse we had to buy the books to write them in.

Writing on alternate lines? Sounds like the lines books from school. Alternate narrow and wide lines, we had to write in the narrow lines with every letter touching the top and bottom line, and the top and tail of ever letter that had them touching the line above or below. Ten extra lines for every letter found incorrect. To make it worse we had to buy the books to write them in.
Sadists the lot of them, particularly when it came to cross country running in the middle of winter in shorts white socks and plimsolls, and the course was always through the muddy bits and wet bits. B———s

Mars Bars used to be so much bigger
A king sized mars bar used to be 100g of sugary goodness. I'd go t'shop and buy one and a can of full fat coke with a quid and get change.

They stopped making them some years ago due to the obesity crisis engulfing the west.

Well its 15 years on and i'm still cat funt so bring the pippers back so I can enjoy a proper mars bar please!

Rafezetter,

Thank you for explaining cancel culture. Not required, but thanks anyway. At no point did I suggest cancelling anyone, least of all a white, middle class male. He dismissed the audience member on Question Time, where he was a panellist, (i.e. definitely NOT cancelled).

For clarity, he said,

"It’s not racism. No it’s not. We’re the most tolerant, lovely country in Europe." And "It’s so easy to throw the card of racism at everybody and it’s really starting to get boring now". He added to the audience member, who happened to be black: "I can’t help what I am, I was born like this, it’s an immutable characteristic so to call me a white privileged male is to be racist"

Put simply, he doesn't get it. (IMHO, obvs 😉)

I still disagree - Laurence's birth and colour is what it is, his upbringing in a middle class family is also "is what it is" he had no say over the why and the how of any of it. he went to the school hios parents told him to go to (like me a private boarding school) and had a lifestyle according to his parents means; why would he not? He then went to acting school and became an actor because that was his passion and managed to get cast in a popular TV show - did HE choose that or did the person in charge of casting make that happen.

From there he had good earnings (as almost all TV actors do) in comparison to most "common" people, and kepy his job acting because he was GOOD at it.

Should he now apologise for any of this? Most of which was out of his control entirely, some of it was under his control as to keep being employed in a well paid acting job, not even the most stupid of snowflakes can say he shouldnt have done this, and then he had a personal lifestyle according to his means - JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

But SOMEHOW according to those same snowflakes - and many coloured BLM types (sorry but its a fact) he's become "white priviledged".

What does a person have to do, to not be "white priviledged"? Should he give all his hard earned away now and go live in one of the poorer areas of England someplace? Should he dedicate his life to working with the disadvantaged from now on - but only black disadvantaged or he'll prolly get branded for sideways "preferential racism").

Why was that black guy picking on just him? why aren't they picking on all the other "white priviledged" actors WORTH SIGNIFICANTLY MORE MONEY - like Tom Cruise for example - $500 million US.

The whole thing was a cheap shot at the nearest easy target lacking in any coherent logic and cleary full of "imma butthurt snowflake waaa", and done because Laurence has started to poke massive gaping holes in the entire "butthurt snowflake waaa / cancel culture" communities mantra, so they are trying to discredit him and, surprise surprise "cancel him".

wake up mate.

Why was that black guy picking on just him? ......
Probably because at that point he was the egregious twerp in front of him/her, in a public debate, coming out with a load of tosh.
Should he/she have said, in the interests of impartiality, something like "and this applies to the rest of you privileged white thickos everywhere"?
PS I was a bit confused about your earlier remarks about "Deer" people and public lavatories. Does this sort of thing happen to you often? Maybe a list of lavs to avoid would be useful.
PPS just browsing L Fox. Apparently he got expelled from Harrow "I wanted to be really popular but I wasn’t, not as much as I wanted to be. I tried too hard to be cool." How sad is that! Good of you to stand up for the little chap!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-picking-younger-boys-40-000-year-Harrow.html

Last edited:
But SOMEHOW according to those same snowflakes - and many coloured BLM types (sorry but its a fact) he's become "white priviledged".

Coloured and snowflakes in the same sentence. Maximum points 🤣

Assuming this chap was born white he hasn't become white privileged. He was born it the same as (and I'm guessing here) the majority of us on this very board. He never got overlooked for a job because his name sounded a bit iffy be it consciously or subconsciously. He never had people cross the road when they saw him coming because of his skin colour. He never got pulled over by the police 5 times in a year just for walking down a street with a bag on his back. He never got eyed up suspiciously by the security guard in the supermarket. The list goes on and on.

Calling a white male "privileged" isn't racist. It's a statement of fact.

I object to the phrase white privilege .....

I represent and work with a large number of white males in a northern town where they are anything other than privileged despite being white and male.

They are the most deprived section of society today.

I also have two sons whose life chances are greatly less than their two sisters. One wants to be a Dr and the other a vet. The boys cause me great deal more to worry about.

So please let's stop this claptrap of white privilege name calling and look a real issues in society which affect all colours and sexes.

Cheers James

Rafezetter, I never suggested he had done anything wrong, or any other slur. I made the point that he is white and privileged. He is. And so am I.

James, I sympathise with any body who has to fight their way out of hard up areas. The fact of skin colour is often, (though of course not always), another factor that influences ones chances negatively. I assume you and your boys are white, but obviously I don't know. If they are, then they haven't had the additional burden of being looked at or treated differently because of their skin colour.

I saw an interesting program presented by Naga Munchetty on the iPlayer last week that looks at a north eastern white working class area and discusses just that point - worth a watch.
Also, if you get a chance, have a read of the Akala book 'Natives' - a real education. 'White Fragility' is also good.
Regarding females and males. Even if their life chances are better, I bet a pound to a pinch of s*** your boys have never been catcalled or had their butts pinched in a bar. I apologise if I'm incorrect.
And I agree, we should all address all issues that address all sexes and colours.
🤞

There are also poor people of all colours in London and yet a wealth divide between birth and South is still a very real thing.

But indeed, let's just try to make a world where women (like my 3 year old daughter) aren't spoken over, underpaid, taken for granted, subjected to the majority of domestic abuse or guaranteed at some stage to be inappropriately groped, touched, leered at or at worst blamed in any way for being raped.

Where men are able to actually share their feelings with other men without being made to feel inferior, where our boys are taught that no means no and that "boys will be boys" is not an excuse.

Where a lad called Jamal has exactly the same chances of getting a job as a lad called Steve and a girl called Susan.

Where we don't perpetuate decades old ridiculous stereotypes in the name of "jokes".

Where there isn't an enormous wealth and skill division between the two ends of our country.

Not sure any of that is in the least bit objectionable.

Jester,
The point about white privilege is a tricky one - its taken me ages to kind of 'get it'. It DOESN'T mean you are privileged like, say, landed gentry, or the royal family, it means that the little micro aggressions, e.g. like DBT referred to just don't show on our radar or consciousness. We just don't have to think about how e.g. a security guard might view us, or if we're in a flash car, we might be a drug dealer, or e.g. in sports commentary, (which has been the subject of a long and detailed academic study), black athletes are 'strong, forceful, tough, fast' etc, whereas white ones are 'skilled, tactically aware' etc.
It's not a conscious thing for us white folk, we need it brought to our attention to make us aware.

Last edited:
"White privileged..." could have been written as "white AND privileged...."
We know that the majority of "white" people are not privileged.

"White privileged..." could have been written as "white AND privileged...."
We know that the majority of "white" people are not privileged.
The problem is the word privileged. For people who actually understand the issue it is used more in the context of owning an entitlement rather than in an asset rich way.
I do object to the way the word ‘privileged’ is thrown as an insult. Too many take the accusation of privilege and aim it at anyone who ‘owns’ more than they do. Many, of any ethnicity, have worked hard for these assets of privilege they have.
I do strongly support the view that everyone should have the same entitlement to getting a job, safety, being heard and respected.
I wish there was a word that actually meant what people are trying to convey without confusion. Something like privilement.

Latest posts

Back