I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just thinking of some of the things from when I was younger that people would have difficulty believing today, but it's not really all that long ago. First one was when some people from the military came to school and told us what to do in the event of a nuclear bomb being dropped. The best advice they offered was to get down as flat as possible on the ground bury your face in the ground, hands over the top, :LOL: :LOL:

Second one, my wife reminded me a couple of days ago...'Remember when there were two mail deliveries a day?'
Yes, the Duck and Cover films come to mind . It is well worth the 10 mins to watch if you don't remember those times. Remember, it is real and not some sort of sick comedy

Remember in my youth being down The Hole, an underground radar bunker deep below the Aberdeenshire countryside where Russian intruder aircraft were monitored, and interceptor aircraft from Fife sent to warn them off (sometimes with rather rude gestures.)
Also meeting up with US personnel atop a nearby hill where there were massive "listening post" dishes, and the Yanks freezing in North Sea winds. They were all a great bunch - and they helped keep us safe.

My dad was in the RAF. We lived in married quarters at RAF Waddington during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. We watched the standoff between the US and Russian fleets unfold in the Atlantic each night on the TV. The world was literally teetering on the brink of armageddon. I asked him one night what would happen to us if the Russians launched an attack.

Now, at that time, Waddington was home to a large part of the Vulcan first-response nuclear bomber fleet which was on instant readiness alert. A couple of squadrons bombed-up with nuclear weapons ready to go stood on the tarmac less than a mile from our house. Dad explained that, because of this, if there was an attack Waddington would be one of the first places hit, and I shouldn't worry because I wouldn't know a thing about it. I was 11 and it took a couple of minutes to figure out what he meant. 😲

Last edited:
Mod edit @ 14.44-
Original posts and quotes have been removed (along with those that "liked" the posts). I'll leave Peter's post below as it reflects exactly the reason for deletion and reported complaints.
Please do not refer to or mention this post again.
Noel

Coming from the mouths of non-black people those words are offensive and have been for the last 100 years at least. One of those words is so offensive it won't be broadcast before the watershed and is often cited as the most offensive word in the world. I don't think you should be repeating them here any more that you would if your mother had named her dog something which rhymed with c*** or f*** (which I think are far less offensive).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was definitely ahead of my time. The first Ipod? Home-made crystal set (with genuine adjustable "cat's whisker"), pair of army surplus headphones and I was off listening to the Light Programme...

My Grandfather lived in Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, and had a huge oak tree at the bottom of the garden. He had a long wire slung up, and with his crystal set could get London 2LO on medium wave, and Daventry 5GB on long wave. When the word got around, people would stare at the wire like they thought it was going to light up.

View attachment 103339

My dad was in the RAF. We lived in married quarters at RAF Waddington during the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. We watched the standoff between the US and Russian fleets unfold in the Atlantic each night on the TV. The world was literally teetering on the brink of armageddon. I asked him one night what would happen to us if the Russians launched an attack.

Now, at that time, Waddington was home to a large part of the Vulcan first-response nuclear bomber fleet which was on instant readiness alert. A couple of squadrons bombed-up with nuclear weapons ready to go stood on the tarmac less than a mile from our house. Dad explained that, because of this, if there was an attack Waddington would be one of the first places hit, and I shouldn't worry because I wouldn't know a thing about it. I was 11 and it took a couple of minutes to figure out what he meant. 😲
For anyone interested in the Vulcan bombers, this (also note at 7m 16s) was the last flight of a Vulcan. Piloted by Martin Withers of Falklands history.

It appears he gives those engines one more "rev-up" at the end before final shut down.

There used to be an hour long documentary entitled "The longest bombing raid in history" on YT which featured that Vulcan crew. It seems to have disappeared. The BBC did do this interview with Martin Withers later on.

I guess we just borrow B1 bombers these days as thr Finnish have done currently.

Cheers James

the last flight of a Vulcan. Piloted by Martin Withers of Falklands history
I was very lucky to see it on it's last flight. It looked as if it had flown over the Forth Bridge heading south. I remember seeing it when I was young at air shows. At one show it did a low level pass, then into a near vertical climb and disappeared into the clouds. Absolutely magnificent. It was way ahead of it's time.

I was very lucky to see it on it's last flight. It looked as if it had flown over the Forth Bridge heading south. I remember seeing it when I was young at air shows. At one show it did a low level pass, then into a near vertical climb and disappeared into the clouds. Absolutely magnificent. It was way ahead of it's time.
I found the documentary I referred to, it was re-uploaded last December by someone.

Brilliant story from the pilots and crews that took part and the efforts that went into the mission.

The lone Vulcan refueled 7 times on the way South, with Tankers refueling Tankers to make it happen. They used maps of the Northern Hemisphere turned upside down, because the RAF didn't have any maps of the Southern Hemisphere! Great story...

What? You still don’t do that? Ha ha, mind you I draw the line at mouldy bread. I remember the old, what to do in the event of a nuclear attack advice, something about removing all the doors and building a shelter under the stairs, perhaps somebody can remind me – all total b-llocks of course. Ian
I remember the milk being left on the doorstep in very cold weather and the foil top would be stood on the top of 3 inches of frozen solid cream that had ejected out of the top of the bottle. Memories. Before you know it we’ll be on to Monty Python. Ian
LOL... just like wearing custom made face masks..... for anyone who was in, or still in, the military.. did you every have your respirator on (in case of an attack), and your mate farted into it... if you could smell anything then the gas mask was useless..

It would have been a lot worse in the days of Vulcan bombers and having to deliver the nuclear payload to the other side, you would have known the other side were heading your way and you had time to think, I suppose that is why they suggested taking your doors off and making a shelter so it took your mind off what was coming, then you may be unfortunate and survive the blast. At least now you will be vapourised probably before even knowing it was coming, but is that still really worrying, what about Novichoc. Who would have thought womens perfume could be so deadly.

Around here we always rekoned that we were fairly safe from nuclear bombs as we tend to be upwind from Leningrad.

At the present I rekon that "United Cleptocrats of Russia Ltd" are more likely to undermine our democratic societies via propaganda and conspiracy theories and then invade on land than they are to undertake any mayor bombing.

One day 90% of Americans will wake up to find they are living in a land already owned by China, currenlty it holds 28% of the US debt (and increasing) closely followed by Japan. Combined they hold just over 50% of US total debt. While there is major concern currently about China stepping up to try on the discarded Soviets super power Jackboots, I don't think the Chinese will be keeping them and will swap them for a pair of plush slippers instead, they have no need to have a hellmarch down Pennsylvania Ave as they already own part of it, they can shuffle along in comfort on their way to the whitehouse kitchen

One day 90% of Americans will wake up to find they are living in a land already owned by China
Does that not also apply to London, and many other places. I think the days of taking power by force are probably over and places like China are doing a very good job by economic stealth, whilst the west and Russia continue to rattle swords which are probably also made in China.

China is also being clever in that it is sitting on a lot of it's natural resources whilst using everyone elses and in some African countries helping them build infrastructure and the like in exchange for their natural resources so they may not have an empire like the Romans but it will become an ecomonic empire where they will have power in many places.

Back