I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but I don't recall anyone mentioning Taffs, Jocks, Micks or Paddies in relation to the above posts. I guess they're frowned on too these days?
And does the freedom of speech /responsibility thing apply to politicians or are they exempt? Things like letterboxes and picaninny smiles spring to mind.

Aah.... But freedom is often misconstrued as being without condition.
True freedom requires responsibility.
That includes not negatively affecting, or offending, others.
I remember a teacher saying that Robinson Crusoe was free until Man Friday arrived.

What ever happened to freedom of speech, whether bigoted or not?
As I said, you're free to say whatever you like. It's not freedom from consequence.
Why are there discriminatory organisations such as Black Police Officers Association? If there was a White equivalent it would be classed as racist. I think there is something similar in NHS Doctors. Why have the MOBO music awards. Why not just music? MOBO is not a genre before someone suggest that.

Not actually sure if you're serious. Please tell me you haven't also asked why there isn't white history month or straight pride parades.

My old dentist came from oop north, he qualified in 1970 iirc. He told uswhen he was a child that it wasn't uncommon for people to have all their teeth out and dentures for a 21st birthday present - to save the hassle later in life.
this is very true.! My father had all his teeth taken out by a Polish Dentist in 1955.... He worked as a docker in the King Albert Docks at the time and every other day at his lunch break he had 2 to 3 teeth taken until they were all out. I remember him drinking tea and eating soup off of a saucer .
He took me to the same dentist as a child and several of my teeth were over drilled and ruined .

You have to remember there was an acute shortage of tradesmen and professionals just after the War , Most of the time it was impossible to check peoples qualifications and credentials . There were no building materials and food was still rationed

I had heard it was quite common as a wedding present, yuck. I suppose at least you didn’t get your mouth filled with poisonous mercury which we are still suffering from now. I read somewhere not too long ago that in the heyday of adding lead to petrol there was a spike in criminal behaviour and general thuggery which has diminished dramatically since. I think in a few years time household chemicals that we consider commonplace will be looked at in a totally different light. Ian
Ps The chemist that came up with lead in petrol was also the same man who came up with CFCs in refrigerant. Makes you think doesn’t it

Laurence Fox is an incredibly privileged pr*t, who spouts whataboutery at every opportunity. Anyone in his position who fails to recognise the advantages he's enjoyed through luck of birth is deluded.

Calling out racism, sexism, etc-ism doesn't make it 'cancel culture' per se. Sure, debate is important, sure different views are important, (as shown on this forum), but to suggest he's being cancelled is patent carp.

Oh and he's a dung actor, too. Just saying 😁

I'm not sure you've not really grasped the intention of "cancel culture" very well - they aren't about stopping you from calling out racism or sexism or pretty much anything else when it happens; they are about stopping anything they don't like, whatever that may be.

Such as "no platforming" which basically means "you are not allowed to publicly state a viewpoint that we don't agree with". They also seem to make up what is an "-ism" to suit themselves; a ridiculous example would be that person who identifies as a Deer** claiming "Deerism" because you can't have "Deer" as an identifier on it's passport, and MUST instead be forced to use it's given name and biological gender.

**(no I'm really not making this up - a bio male dresses as a woman, but identifies as a deer and streams it's nonsense to anyone who will listen)

THAT is "cancel culture" - "cancel everything they don't like" full stop - or "cancel the requirements of being given a label by Govts simply to allow society to continue to function without becoming FUBAR" regardless of how much lunacy there is, or how impossible it would be to impose a system whereby there are multiple different toilet types in every building - male, female, trans only, gender neutral, Deer, Lion (or Tiger) or whatever else they think they should be allowed to identify as.

As soon as you say something against it, it becomes one more thing they feel "opressed" about and most of them simply don't get that what they are demanding is often a serious threat to the bonds and systems that keep a society cohesive.

You'll have "deer" people complaining that there are more cubicles in a male /female toilet that a deer toilet, because "mah equality" - they are that stupid - which is also why it's no surprise they are being used by bad actors (no not Laurence Fox) aka "black hats" to further disrupt society for thier own ends, because some just want to see the world burn.

I agree!
China has clearly studied the growth of the British empire in great detail and learned their lessons. Economic dominance and trade monopoly combined with destabilisation of governments followed by fairly peaceful land grabs and just the occasional bit of gunboat diplomacy or military intervention gives a lot more empire for the bucks than a full out military conquest.
I don't tell this to bash you Brits. It is just a fact of history that your ancestors pioneered a new sort of empire building which did not involve large scale military conquests and subjugations. ........
Er, are you joking?
British Empire was the most brutal in history involving genocide, slavery, repression - still going on in living memory in S. Africa with apartheid.
Britain was the world leader in the slave trade
They practiced in the British Isles first with brutal repression of Ireland, clearances in Scotland, Enclosures in England, suppression of the language and culture in Wales.
The main beneficiaries of the Empire was the military machine required to maintain it and the whole enterprise was arguably not even profitable - other nations traded world-wide without Empire building.
It peaked with the grab for Africa - 30 years in which 50% (?) of the African population became British subjects - brutally treated in living memory with indigenous culture destroyed from early beginnings.
A seriously horrible history wherever you look - typical detail - ask what happened to the natives of Tasmania, or just look around
When will Britain face up to its crimes against humanity?
My finely balanced solution to Britain's 'statue problem' | Stewart Lee

Last edited:
When I was a lad if a man dressed as female he would be arrested. Now I understand the law says you can dress how you like. After the dreadful murder of Sarah and the tension it has caused how can that be right? So a man could enter a ladies toilet without causing any suspicion. Some laws need changing if we are to keep our ladies safe. Why do we need a big inquiry when its easy to see that what we need is more cops on the beat. The cops tried to demand covid vaccinations early. Why? When they have there own bubble. Its called a Transit van !!!

Why are there discriminatory organisations such as Black Police Officers Association? If there was a White equivalent it would be classed as racist. I think there is something similar in NHS Doctors. Why have the MOBO music awards. Why not just music? MOBO is not a genre before someone suggest that.
They are forms of positive discrimination or simply special interest areas for minorities who get a rough deal on the whole. The police are notorious for institutional racism against their own black minority.
Positive discrimination works. Action against discrimination works - history is full of it, easy to forget things like this : Bristol Bus Boycott

Last edited:
Rafezetter,

Thank you for explaining cancel culture. Not required, but thanks anyway. At no point did I suggest cancelling anyone, least of all a white, middle class male. He dismissed the audience member on Question Time, where he was a panellist, (i.e. definitely NOT cancelled).

For clarity, he said,

"It’s not racism. No it’s not. We’re the most tolerant, lovely country in Europe." And "It’s so easy to throw the card of racism at everybody and it’s really starting to get boring now". He added to the audience member, who happened to be black: "I can’t help what I am, I was born like this, it’s an immutable characteristic so to call me a white privileged male is to be racist"

Put simply, he doesn't get it. (IMHO, obvs 😉)

I used to stop most jokes stone dead it they started with "There was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Jew" I always asked why two had nationalities and one had a religion?

I'm not sure you've not really grasped the intention of "cancel culture" very well - they aren't about stopping you from calling out racism or sexism or pretty much anything else when it happens; they are about stopping anything they don't like, whatever that may be.

Such as "no platforming" which basically means "you are not allowed to publicly state a viewpoint that we don't agree with". They also seem to make up what is an "-ism" to suit themselves; a ridiculous example would be that person who identifies as a Deer** claiming "Deerism" because you can't have "Deer" as an identifier on it's passport, and MUST instead be forced to use it's given name and biological gender.

**(no I'm really not making this up - a bio male dresses as a woman, but identifies as a deer and streams it's nonsense to anyone who will listen)

THAT is "cancel culture" - "cancel everything they don't like" full stop - or "cancel the requirements of being given a label by Govts simply to allow society to continue to function without becoming FUBAR" regardless of how much lunacy there is, or how impossible it would be to impose a system whereby there are multiple different toilet types in every building - male, female, trans only, gender neutral, Deer, Lion (or Tiger) or whatever else they think they should be allowed to identify as.

As soon as you say something against it, it becomes one more thing they feel "opressed" about and most of them simply don't get that what they are demanding is often a serious threat to the bonds and systems that keep a society cohesive.

You'll have "deer" people complaining that there are more cubicles in a male /female toilet that a deer toilet, because "mah equality" - they are that stupid - which is also why it's no surprise they are being used by bad actors (no not Laurence Fox) aka "black hats" to further disrupt society for thier own ends, because some just want to see the world burn.
"The sleep of reason produces monsters"

Back