I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colour tv's had just about launched and I'd never seen one.
One dark Saturday night myself and two pals visited Greasy Bills chippy on our bikes for six of chips.
Sat on a wall eating them I spied through a house open curtain the first colour tv we had all ever seen.
We sat staring at the screen until a man came out and challenged us.
What you lot doing looking into my living room , thinking of nicking something.?
No Mr. We are just looking at your colour tv. It's good isn't it?
Colour tv?
What you taking about?
That's my bloody tropical fish tank your looking at.
He went back inside laughing his head off and muttering to himself.

Deputy head master and mistress gave everyone on the school bus there strokes of the cane on the bum bent over because the bus company reported someone on the top deck for smoking.
We were asked in assembly to identify the culprit but word had already got round that any squealers would be beaten up.
40 plus pupils were lined up outside deputy heads offices. A line for the girls and one for the boys.
As a first year 11 year old it hurt.
Not one single parent complained.
Oh how times have changed.

I remember my brother telling me about the time his class played the rural science master up. "I'll ask you each a question in turn. If you get it wrong you will get six of the best." Apparently he caned all but about five of a class of thirty odd, my brother being one of those who didn't get caned unusually, although he said that it would probably have been better to have been rather than the barracking they received from those who were caned.

If you were caught fighting by this master, he would get you both in the gym with gloves on and fight "properly". Then he would put gloves on and you would have to do a round with him. He taught boxing.

Nigel.

Deputy head master and mistress gave everyone on the school bus there strokes of the cane on the bum bent over because the bus company reported someone on the top deck for smoking.
We were asked in assembly to identify the culprit but word had already got round that any squealers would be beaten up.
40 plus pupils were lined up outside deputy heads offices. A line for the girls and one for the boys.

I'd forgotten all about the following until I read that.
When I was in junior school (aged about 9 in '77 ) there was a boy in our year who thought it was great to swear in class. A warning from the teachers did nothing, so they actually washed his mouth out with pink carbolic soap and a cloth - not once, but repeated in every class in the school, so probably 15 times or more!

That was about 5s and 6d a gallon in the mid/late 60s, and you had a pump attendant.
Ahhh!! I used to work in a petrol station serving in 1970. It was great fun. Three of us worked the forecourt. The driver just sat in the car, we went out, asked which petrol and how much, then took the money, went into the shop, got change and took it back out to the driver. Sometimes they wanted the oil/water checked, tyres pumped or windscreen cleaned. We did it all!
One day, one of the guys came back in all flushed and shaky looking. He said the woman passenger in the car he served, was naked.....You should have seen the others move!!! I was out like lightning, restocking the oil cans, another guy was over to see if they wanted their windscreen cleaned, another guy was brushing up the forecourt!! brightened an otherwise dull day!! We sold 8 track tapes and had a player in the shop. The best tape available was Fairport Convention, so listened to that all day. Still one of my favourite groups.

I was born in the early 40's and remember getting caned for something I didn't do !
I was reported by a teacher for defacing school property but he mistook me for someone else.
The headmaster wouldn't believe me and told me I would get extra strokes for lying !
I had trouble sitting down for days and it wasn't any good complaining about it.
The real culprit never owned up !
The good old days !!!???

Secondary school in the early 60's - I particularly remember our science teacher ( Jack Burns Mr!) who, if played around in lessons would take the rubber pipe off a bunsen burner, bend you over the nearest desk and commence to apply his very generous amount of discipline. It would seem that his method of discipline worked as those who got it once rarely went back for seconds. If talking during lessons our geography teacher (Mr McQuibban) would aim the blackboard rubber at you. The blackboard rubber was not rubber at all but a block of wood with felt on one side and he was a very good shot! On his more genial days he would simply lift you out of your chair by your sideburn until you ran out of tiptoe. Our games teacher, a more gentle soul, so his name escapes me, if you didn't reach expectations in the gym, would get you to bend over at 90 degrees, while holding onto the wall bars as he commenced kicking a heavy leather football at you at great speed, while the rest of the class looked on. He was also a very good shot! This was the 1960's not the 1860's - sounds unbelievable, but true. There were others with similar discipline and I remember them all as being very good teachers.

Yep in the seventies we had teachers who would fling the the board rubber at us, and lift us up by the side burn. You never messed withe games staff, they could always mete out their punishments on the rugby field, as they used to join in the game.
Weird one that we never thought much of in those days.. our school had a swimming pool, we we're allowed to use it after school. Most of the time it was skinny dipping, oddly one of the teachers was a regular skinny dipper along with the rest of us.

Getting a detention for being seen with brown shoes out of school or black shoes in school, wearing the wrong coloured socks, having shoelaces undone, walking on the wrong side of a corridor, and being seen to move in another detention. Getting sent home if my hair touched my collar, my sideburns were below where my ear joined my face (checked with a ruler), to shave - that was the day gone, it was a train ride then a walk, then a bus to get home.

I remember falling out seriously with a good friend. I knocked him off his feet seven or eight times, the last time he got up he looked at me, smiled and asked if I'd had enough. I said yes .......... and he decked me. I couldn't get up.
I remember the same friend tackling me at rugby just as I was nearing the try line. He was lighter than me so I got his head under my arm and ran it into the unpadded post, relying on inertia to twist my body and the ball over the line. The ref allowed the try and didn't even ask if friend was OK.

Pulling you by the side burn, rapping your knuckles with a ruler...all common pedagogical methods in the 70s. :)
My 2nd grade teacher, had a leather strap in her purse. She called it Oscar.
No one complained, we'd just hope she wouldn't tell our parents, cause then you'd get seconds when you got home.

And they wonder what has gone so wrong today, kids start school with zero discipline and soon know that the teachers cannot say or do anything otherwise it may affect the childs human rights. They continue through schooling without discipline or being held accountable for their actions and watch morons on Tv making far more money than you can by doing a regular job so thats who they aspire to be and look upto. Then so many organisations cannot understand whats gone wrong, acting dumb but it is so obvious that modern society is now the root cause and what kids can be exposed to on Tv and unsocial media.

In 2015, I asked four, thirty year old people, if they knew what Hiroshima or Nagasaki meant/was about. They had never heard those words before.

I can remember when history was just taught as a subject whether it was good, bad or shameful. These days they only want to pick and choose the good bits to teach and rewrite the rest to either try and justify or just make it more acceptable. Perhaps using A bombs on innocent civilians is not taught anymore in the hope it will fade away but history is most valuable when people can learn from it, so it should all be taught.

In 2015, I asked four, thirty year old people, if they knew what Hiroshima or Nagasaki meant/was about. They had never heard those words before.
My daughter was very lucky, she was picked at school at seventeen for a party of about twelve to go on trip to Hiroshima paid for by a Japanese businessman's foundation for international friendship. She still keeps in touch with the girl she stayed with. She didn't know before she went what Enola Gay was., nor Little Boy or Fat Man.
My lad at thirteen went on a school trip to the Menin Gate - he has never to this day spoken of it. Not a single word.

Funnily enough, I have just finished reading an article in the newspaper about Lawrence Fox the actor (42) setting up an anti-woke party called Reclaim.
Quote from the paper, people do not want their history rewritten. This is a tolerant and loving country. It aspires to be and is what it is and it’s what it wants to continue to be,
And these people who walk around telling us that we’re all massive racist all the time. We need a right to reply to them. That’s what my belief is. I think it’s in the interests of democracy that everyone speaks freely"
Apparently 50% of the people in the country who were asked think they are less free to say what they think today than five years ago as cancel culture has taken root.

Back