I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps carpeted bathrooms was only an american thing - it didn't last that long, but wasn't uncommon in 1970s and 1980s...

...along with the carpet toilet seat cover, so that when you sat down in the bathroom on the toilet with the toilet closed (why were we doing that again?), you could sit on a warm piece of carpet instead of a cold plastic seat.

....without thinking about the fact that the last person who sat on the carpeted toilet cover also had no pants or britches on ...and then it seemed less savory.

Being dropped off at my grandads house on Saturday morning while my parents did the shopping, and spending my day playing 3 card brag and pontoon (Black Jack). Grandad would let me pick 7 horses for a 10p accumulator, he'd fill out the slips and I'd go to the bookies to put the bets on (sometimes I'd have to pick him up 20 Park Drive on the way back), then we'd play cards and watch the horse racing with Dickie Davis on Grandstand (I was about 7). I loved my grandad!

------------------

Party packs
View attachment 103709 View attachment 103710

Must admit that it took me at least 15 seconds to realize that wasn't a picture of oil cans - remember when you couldn't change your car oil without a can opener?

I remember one of my children struggling to open a bottle with can opener. I don't think she believed me when I told her drinks cans didn't have ring pulls and had to be pierced. Remember ring pulls that pulled off? I've always though the current design that pushes the tab into the contents a little unhygenic.

Carpet in the bathroom isn't just a US thing, I remember avocado bathroom suites with carpet going up the side of the bath, matching mats and toilet seat covers, and reeded glass windows.

Who else used to pull the removable ring pulls apart and flick them at each other in class?

Carpet in the bathroom isn't just a US thing, I remember avocado bathroom suites with carpet going up the side of the bath, matching mats and toilet seat covers, and reeded glass windows.

Who else used to pull the removable ring pulls apart and flick them at each other in class?
Ah I had forgotten about that ring pull game. Your reminder has pulled up a memory of catching my younger brother on the ear with one after he egregiously usurped my right to the front seat in the car. No seat belts of course back then.

Used to make chains from the ring pulls – God knows why, used to hang them up as a sort of a decoration in my bedroom, I had coloured lightbulbs screwed all around the picture rail and I built a box with lots of switches on it for them out of mahogany and white formica - it had a louvred top covered in black imitation leather. I was 14 or 15 at the time I think and had obviously seen far too many Bond films.

Only in North America. We were much more advanced in the UK. Unless it was before my time.

If I remember right, it was about 40 years ago here when oil cans went from steel to plastic. The steel cans, I vaguely recall seeing my dad open them with a can opener on one side and with a second hole on the back side so that they'd drain faster. It could be that both were available (plastic and steel). My dad is the type who will buy the steel if that's what he's used to until such a thing is no longer offered.

yes on the mat and the toilet seat covers. I found an ad here a while ago talking about the need to match toilet paper to both of those, and those would've been keyed to the color scheme in the bathroom (most of the 30s-50s bathrooms here in the states have matching tile, tub, sink and toilet and the colors are bold like the cars were at the time. )

At some point around 1970, the toilet seat covers went to wood and colored tubs maybe came in fridge colors at the time at best (Avocado, a dull gold, etc).

The toilet paper ad, at any rate, talked about the shame you'd endure if people came to your color matched bathroom only to find garish white toilet paper clashing with everything.

I also recall seeing shields that went over the toilet paper so that you couldn't see the roll.

When I was a youth, there were decorative hand towels for the bathroom and kitchen. We were not to use them, they were for show for the guests. In the bathroom hung behind the decorative towels was a grungy towel that you could use to dry your hands, removed if we had company.

Kitchen, same - towels were kept out of sight for use. I think that era of fake neatness is over here, at least in the middle class where I reside.

Before I did our kitchen, there were a couple of fold away fixtures that could be used to dry the "real" towels, while the decorative ones maintained their place on the oven handle, etc. Same with a dish cloth over the sink - a fold away wire contraption that you could use to dry cloths day to day, but then fold it away and hide it if company was coming.

If I remember right, it was about 40 years ago here when oil cans went from steel to plastic. The steel cans, I vaguely recall seeing my dad open them with a can opener on one side and with a second hole on the back side so that they'd drain faster. It could be that both were available (plastic and steel). My dad is the type who will buy the steel if that's what he's used to until such a thing is no longer offered.
I briefly sojourned in Ontario around 1976. They were still using steel cans for huile moteur They had a spout with a point which you pierced the can with and used as a pourer.

I used to think everything packaged in English and French was hilarious.

I briefly sojourned in Ontario around 1976. They were still using steel cans for huile moteur They had a spout with a point which you pierced the can with and used as a pourer.

I used to think everything packaged in English and French was hilarious.

I forgot about the spout - we had one. Dad used a large plastic funnel, which negated the need for the spout, but we had it hanging on the wall.

As far as the packaging in canada goes, the absurd thing is that quite often, we have food that's sold here and sold in canada, same company, same color scheme and completely different name.

There's a box macaroni and cheese (junkfood) sold as such here. In canada, they call it "Kraft Dinner".

I talked to a guy from northern canada at one point and he said he was headed south because they didn't have "kraft dinner" in the north of canada. I had no clue what he was talking about. I thought it must be something good to travel for, and he showed me a picture of the box.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kraft-dinner-original-macaroni-cheese/6000016946035
He also mentioned the lack of availability of spray cheese in the north, and cheez wiz (I have no clue what's actually in those).

I was a Manager of a "Motorist Discount Centre" in 1982 and we were still on steel then

Deputy head master and mistress gave everyone on the school bus there strokes of the cane on the bum bent over because the bus company reported someone on the top deck for smoking.
We were asked in assembly to identify the culprit but word had already got round that any squealers would be beaten up.
40 plus pupils were lined up outside deputy heads offices. A line for the girls and one for the boys.
As a first year 11 year old it hurt.
Not one single parent complained.
Oh how times have changed.

I went to see the doctor and told him about an interview I saw in black and white tv about Spike Milligan.
Milligan asked the interviewer to prove he, Spike was really there being interviewed.
Your there because I can see you said the interviewer.
You can't prove that said Spike.
Yes I can.
All these people can see you.
Yes, but all these people may not be here either?
They could all be figments of your imagination he went on......and so it went on.
He firmly believed we are all not really where we think we are or doing what we think we are doing.
I explained all this to the doctor.
He gave me a prescription and enrolled me on a web site where like minded people met.
I've been on UK woodworking forum ever since.

Back