I don't believe it!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
For about 2 weeks, I haven't been able to search for specific items on Facebook Marketplace (still looking for an old thicknesser locally). I could browse all and categories, but any search simply returned 'no listings' Coincidentally, this started immediately after I reported a user for an inappropriate image...just a coincidence, but read there are some serious bugs on the platform.
Marketplace is one of my favourite places to find things. I tried every suggestion to solve the problem. Updated everything, checked filters on Facebook, tried different browsers, operating systems, even on the phone. I contacted help about 20 times, with no response. I came to the conclusion that the problem is attached to my account. Today I created a new account and was immediately able to search again wooo hooo!!!, Just came in to do some searching and now Facebook is down!!! Looks like an attack of some kind....wasn't me!

Too early to say how serious this actually is. Seems it could just be scraped data, which is publicly available, but in the form of a database, becomes valuable.

Facebook marketplace has a terrible reputation.

Sellers say it’s the worst place to sell…people don’t turn up, renege on the agreed price etc.

for buyers, lots of the stuff is sold and the sellers don’t update

Facebook marketplace has a terrible reputation.
I must have been pretty lucky. I have got some great stuff from Marketplace, I also use Gumtree. I just buy locally and only buy things I can inspect. I pay cash and collect. Money never leaves my hands until can take the item away. I don't think I have ever used eBay.

Can't help with the original question, but remember the days of classifieds in the local paper? Used to get plenty of time wasters and hagglers back then too.

I keep getting, "nothing available within 51 kilometers" when I search...
been like that for days.....!!!!!!!
Same problem as me. I tried everything to get it fixed. In the end I had to create a new account, which works fine for searching. You can easily swap between accounts.

Not so. The guy who claimed he had this data is a scammer. The author of the above article has now amended the article to say that.

Facebook etc. Going off air was not a hack, it was an error during an update of their border gateway routing (BGP) data.

It's easy to distinguish this type of issue from a DNS attack - even if you knew the IP address of a Facebook server you still wouldn't have been able to connect as the internet routing to Facebook's AS space isn't working. i.e. it's a routing error.

Having said it's not hack, it's possible a disgruntled staffer deleted the records. Over the coming days, no doubt we'll find out.

Facebook etc. Going off air was not a hack, it was an error during an update of their border gateway routing (BGP) data.
Just shows how fickle these organisations can be, whether by accident or a deliberate act, but I'm happily searching marketplace again :)

I find the searches on Market place, ebay and Amazon are giving results other than what you search on

But have you cleared cache and cookies as it sounds like it may be your problem although I gather you have resolved it by a new account

I have just searched for thicknesser on marketplace and got results near and far so the search is working, albeit there are also results for other items, (such as a sander) I have mine set to within 20k's but it gives results further out as well

For about 2 weeks, I haven't been able to search for specific items on Facebook Marketplace (still looking for an old thicknesser locally). I could browse all and categories, but any search simply returned 'no listings' Coincidentally, this started immediately after I reported a user for an inappropriate image...just a coincidence, but read there are some serious bugs on the platform.
Marketplace is one of my favourite places to find things. I tried every suggestion to solve the problem. Updated everything, checked filters on Facebook, tried different browsers, operating systems, even on the phone. I contacted help about 20 times, with no response. I came to the conclusion that the problem is attached to my account. Today I created a new account and was immediately able to search again wooo hooo!!!, Just came in to do some searching and now Facebook is down!!! Looks like an attack of some kind....wasn't me!

The outage is as above, a reconfiguration that went wrong. According to reports, in a beautiful irony their office security system that relies on badge readers to get in uses the same servers, so staff couldn't get in the building.

(hopefully they had a backup entry system, like a key perhaps)

But have you cleared cache and cookies as it sounds like it may be your problem although I gather you have resolved it by a new account

I have just searched for thicknesser on marketplace and got results near and far so the search is working, albeit there are also results for other items, (such as a sander) I have mine set to within 20k's but it gives results further out as well
Thanks :) , yes, I tried that, also checked all my marketplace preferences,and filters, then different browsers, then different operating system on different PC, then un-installing Chrome and re-installing. That was a pain, having to reset all preferences, then tried on my phone. Nothing worked apart from getting a second account. I'm sure it will suddenly start working again some time. It seems a fairly common problem, but haven't seen a fix that works.

Back