I don’t want to build a workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a proper workbench for woodworking & it's unlikely I will be building or buying one because it's not something that would get a lot of use with the sort of things I tend to do. I bought a Centipede pop up stand years ago because I thought it might come in handy & they were on some sort of introductory offer. Sat in the loft for years because I couldn't really think of a use for it lol
When I bought my track saw I decided to make an MFT style top & all of a sudden I had a use for the Centipede, started to use it with the track saw & then started to think of all sorts of other things that it would come in handy for & now I wish I had built it years ago when I first got the Centipede lol, it is far sturdier than I thought it would be once the top is on. I do have a couple of small vices & they are bolted to a cls frame I made with an old kitchen counter top.

I have a Centipede and a track saw and a few sheets of 8x4x2" polystyrene about 20 years old. The Centipede has allowed me to get the best out of the track saw and has made cutting sheet goods a breeze. Did I need it? No. Has it made life/productivity easier/faster - without a doubt. ROI, I guess will be a couple of dozen sheets of 8x4! I'm on number 5 already.

In my old workshop I had a NYW-inspired assembly table and that suited me just fine for what I was doing. When I get a new workshop its likely I will make another one, spending time and money making a "proper" workbench with all the mod cons just doesn't appeal to me.

It’s so confusing! So intimidating! So easy to mess up! I like restoring furniture. So disassemble, maybe make a new part, fettle some joints, patch up, reassemble, bit of upholstery. I’ve got a basic set of power tools and enjoy using hand tools. Got a nice bench vice sitting on floor gathering dust. Do I really need the huge cost and mountain of work to build a full-on bench? I’ve been dithering for over a year and need to get off the pot. I’d love to hear your thoughts. *lights blue touch paper*
There doesn't need to be huge cost or a mountain of work:. I'm still using this:

DSC_0161.JPG

Built over 15 years ago out of some native D/F and any other rubbish I had kicking about. I think it took me a day to make. I've made some alterations, as needed, over the years.

In my old workshop I had a NYW-inspired assembly table and that suited me just fine for what I was doing. When I get a new workshop its likely I will make another one, spending time and money making a "proper" workbench with all the mod cons just doesn't appeal to me.

Probably depends to some degree what sort of thing you are doing, just out of interest what would you consider to be a "proper" workbench with all the mod cons lol

I am not really a woodworker, don't know if it is a newer term or just something that has become more popular but I am probably more of a maker. Had an interest in crafts as a kid & found myself coming back to it many years later. A lot of it involves wood but what I see advertised as Woodworking Benches wouldn't really suit my needs.

My workbench is against a wall of a narrow tandem garage so I don't have enough room for a permanent assembly/paint table. My upholsterer friend who has a similar problem asked me to make him one of these folding workbenches. I liked the idea. So, in the words of John Hurt 'Why make one when you can make two for twice the price'. I use it all the time when assembling, moving timber from one end of the shop to the other. And, the beauty is, it's on castors so I can wheel it outside and work in the sun.
Folding Workbench
Gary

P1050662.jpg
P1050664.jpg

Last edited:
My workbench is against a wall of a narrow tandem garage so I don't have enough room for a permanent assembly/paint table. My upholsterer friend who has a similar problem asked me to make him one of these folding workbenches. I liked the idea. So, in the words of John Hurt 'Why make one when you can make two for twice the price'. I use it all the time when assembling, moving timber from one end of the shop to the other. And, the beauty is, it's on castors so I can wheel it outside and work in the sun.
Folding Workbench
Gary

View attachment 121902View attachment 121903
That’s very interesting Gary. My workshop is small and that would suit very well. Thanks!

There doesn't need to be huge cost or a mountain of work:. I'm still using this:

View attachment 121885

Built over 15 years ago out of some native D/F and any other rubbish I had kicking about. I think it took me a day to make. I've made some alterations, as needed, over the years.
What’s D/F

View attachment 121885

thanks Chip Shop, what’s D/F?

Thanks Alan what’s NYW?

Mine? Battens fixed to garage wall. Some vertical and horizontal members fixed thereto, and the lot topped off with cheapest ply I could find. I used some 3x3 in places so that I had plenty of 'meat' where I wanted to install the vice. Plenty of storage space underneath, I used up a lot of old offcuts so it wasn't expensive.

Before I retired I had use of a large training workshop which was equipped With 3 spines of benches all with 2 vices and loads of dogs allowing all sort to be clamped and worked on after hours 😉.
When I retired I decided that I needed a bench of sorts and happened upon a place closing down and bought 2 identical school type joiners beech benches each with2 vices for £30 each sporting a Design Council sticker from the 70s and another heavier bench with vices and doors underneath. Also £30 I sold the latter bench to a mate at cost and the second of the twins for £100 which gave me a free bench and covered the cost of picking them up.
I have raised the bench about 4” on some chicks of wood, belt sanded the top given a lick of varnish and installed a set of old fitted kitchen drawers which coincidentally once dummy fronts were removed turned out to be beech.
It may not be state of the art but works very well for my needs, it has the traditional bench stops and well. Moral of story is do your own thing and don’t spend too much on what is effectively a work table/ platform

for my band saw, its on a set of office drawers, it works a treat :) - Scroll saw is on another office cabinet thing, both are on wheels so can move them round if need too. My work bench is a piece of ply which stretched the length of 5ft of so with legs, so everything is basic and cheap.
My bandsaw's on a grey metal office cabinet on casters. I bought two such cabinets for a fiver each. Good height and easy to move.

I’m currently building one. I’m getting enjoyment from woodworking and it’s no different for me now building my own bench. In fact, it’s damn hard work as I’ve decided to build it purely using hand tools only. Thing is, I’ve found that because it’s not easy and is hard work, paradoxically, I’m getting more of a kick out of it!

When I’m done, I will be building things using a piece of furniture built by my own hands which will make every single piece I make even more pleasureable.

Kind Regards..........Rob

I’ve built benches in the past and get no particular joy from it. I just want to use the damn thing to make something else.

So recently brought the Axminster 1700 workbench with dog holes, vices, storage etc for £400 and couldn’t be happier. Great bit of kit

I have been doing joinery for about 35 years now and never had a proper traditional joiners bench.

It depends on what you do and how you work but I find a big flat assembly table in the middle of the room is more suitable for me, I like to be able to walk around what I'm working on, although I am spoilt for space.

For years I just used 8x4 sheets on trestles but a couple of years ago I finally built something more solid with an MFT type top which is great for clamping.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a proper bench and will build one at some point but I just never seem to have the time.
I encourage you to make time Doug. From my own personal experience, you will be so pleased you did. Time isnt On our side so fill it with as many things as you can that you get pleasure from.

kind Regards rob

a bench( I use the term very loosely) and a flat assembly table. that is the ideal. but many things can be one or the other. assembly table lower than bench though at my age! don't become fetishist about benches though. its just a solid thing with a vice.

Two points. A flat work surface is useful (essential?) for so many jobs. Area appropriate.
(For me) the vice is the biggest asset on a solid workbench. PH calls it a 'third hand' which
is appropriate.
That’s so sharp, boil it down to the absolute basics. Thanks!

Back