I did search, honest I did search. Table Saw - Shortlisting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I did search for other topics and found lots of threads. I also checked the reviews and also found lots of threads. Nevertheless, I've narrowed my shortlist down to the following table saws (to replace my Lutz contractors table saw):

Fox 10"
(couldn't get the link to Rutlands to work :( )
Think it just has a brush motor.
Fence locates front and back (which seems like a good thing)
£199

Delta 36-525
Looks like a good table top.
Noticed some good reviews.
More expensive than similar.
Think it is a brush motor too.
£229 (best price found)

Jet JTS-10
Raved about, perhaps because it has a braked induction motor.
Doesn't look as though the table top is as good as the Delta.
Fence does not locate front and back but this may not really be an issue.
£159

Axminster BTS10PP
Man as Axminster said that the Jet was much better (because of the induction motor).
This one does, however, appear to have a better top and extension table setup.
£199

Views and opinions gratefully received... Have I missed a good one?

I'm basically after a small, accurate, cheap(ish) machine that is worth spending the money on. The alternative is to stick with my larger Lutz table saw which has no NVR switch (busted), a broken fence clamp, and no crosscut/mitre fence. Altogether not really satisfactory (but it does have a 1.8kw induction motor!)

Cheers

Matt

For the money involved I'd just stick with the Lutz and sort/put up with it's short comings.

Noel

Noel":305wa407 said:
For the money involved I'd just stick with the Lutz and sort/put up with it's short comings.

Noel

Thought about doing that but:
New switch: £32
Mitre fence: £100
New rip fence: ???? (not asked yet).

I baulk at spending the money on a machine that's still to big for my workshop. Nevertheless, if you've experience of Lutz and rate it as a good machine, then perhaps it is worth it?

Matt

Hold onto your money. The mitre fence is rubbish to start with, but make a sled as many people have, for pennies. I even have a mitre fence you can have, is not 100% but a start.

The NVR can be bought from £15

And finally the rip fence. I found the Lutz fence total rubbish as the rear would lock 2mm out from the front and this is not good. I found just using a pair of cramps a better solution. Why not build a fence that will suit the saw and maybe a router table too and use cramps. This is what i'm using until i finish the workstation.

Replacing these will then give you a half decent machine

Need any more help, feel free to ask

Andy
(Always trying to find a way to better things, cheaply)

Sorry Matt, no experience of Lutz. My thinking was make do with what you have and make it better. If it's too big, stick it on the 'bay or in the local rag and then go looking for a suitable replacement.
You could look at an HTC replacement fence which would last a life time (see Rutlands) and a cheapo mitre gauge. There was a thread about very low cost NVR switches (like £7 or something) not so long ago.
Think you should go back to the drawing board and think about exactly what you want to do. Let us know what you decide to do.

Noel

Thanks for the feedback. OK, lets stick with the "fix the Lutz" approach for the time being...

The most significant issue that I have at the moment is that I've no idea how to wire up an NVR switch or, more to the point, what the 3 wires coming from the motor actually do. I have Blue, Black, and Brown. I think the Brown was orginally used to power the solenoid on the original NVR. At the moment the saw has a plug attached to the Blue & Black wires, leaving the Brown unconnected - and the saw works when plugged in. Are these three wires going to be compatible with an off-the-shelf NVR?

Thanks for the tip-off about the mitre fence (and the offer of yours), Lynx. Perhaps the sled is the way to go. You've also made me think about options for the rip fence...

If anyone can shed any light on the inner-workings of the NVR and my 3 wires, I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Matt

<EDIT>Just did some thinking... The NVR switch works on the basis that if there is a power cut (or similar), the switch trips off. When power is restored, the machine is OFF (and "safe"). Is this correct? Is this ALL it does? Cheers</EDIT>

From the lutz jumbo hand book the live wired via contact in nvr to brown.
neutral wired via other contact to black, neutral also connected to one side of solenoid other side connected to brown.
Yes you think the above is wrong but i will try to publish the diagram soon see link.
With the fence if you use stick on tape measures both sides you can lock the fence in the correct position
http://www.stapeley1.plus.com/Wiring Diagram-1 lutz.pdf

Matt, how about selling the Lutz and adding it to the money you were going to spend and go for a Scheppach 2010 from www.diytools.co.uk. (sorry but for some reason i could not link to the page).
At £379 including free delivery you will have got a right bargain, and it is certainly a far, far better saw then any of the ones you have mentioned.

It does not come with a stand but you could always get this at another time (and with the free 3970 points you can get £37.90 off it) or you could always make one. Then as and when you can afford them you can add the other accessories, such as their sliding table, and side and rear extensions etc. In fact if you do go for it pm me as i have both of these extensions boxed and unused, which a friend of mine gave me before moving to Mexico.

I do not know if you can get a better deal anywhere else, but what ever the case may be, i would certainly buy the Scheppach, which by the way contains a first class induction motor.

Regards

Woody

Latest posts

Back