I did it (Charnwood W650)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbloke":1spxa6hi said:
Glad you've got hold of the W650...you'll find it's a good piece of kit. I suggest you get hold of the relevant copy of F&C for a full in depth review and my alterations and mods to it - Rob
Excellent article, and magazine. It's good to hear all the same minor issues I've stumbled upon have already been identified and fixed for very little.

I can't find the Axminster T bolts you mentioned though. Do you have a link?

V

Vikash":mzygyl92 said:
I can't find the Axminster T bolts you mentioned though. Do you have a link?
V

This is the kit I used. It's a bit spendy but useful for other jig making applications as well. Be advised though, that the threads are Whitworth and not Metric, so the parts aren't interchangeable with other Metric knobs etc - Rob

The T-bolt heads are 12mm wide in the axminster kit, but the slot hole is only 10mm!?

I sheared off a few nuts from the carriage support brackets so ended up changing all the nuts/bolts/washers out to something more decent. The original washers supplied were particularly bad (rusted and too small). Also created a Zero Tolerance Insert from some scrap birch ply.

I don't have a band saw and want to cut some 3" stock down. Is it safe to cut the riving knife so it sits just below the blade height?

Attachments

• photo-4417.jpg
    photo-4417.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 123
  • photo-4415.jpg
    photo-4415.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 123
Does the riving knife sit higher than the top of the blade?

My sedgwick riving knife is just below cut height.

It should be safe with respect to what the riving knife does as the knife will stop the blade being pinched mostly, but beware of anything being thrown up and forward including the workpiece if the crown guard is removed.

Re question earlier, the narrow edge of fence allows through cuts at angles without a sacrificial fence and still utilising the crown guard. ( sits above the fence.)

Vikash":1shqisr4 said:
The T-bolt heads are 12mm wide in the axminster kit, but the slot hole is only 10mm!?
So they are, but 5 minutes with a file will get them to fit nicely. It's also worth getting hold of a decent blade, I got a couple from Wealden which are excellent. I didn't like the crown guard on mine so I've replaced it with:

DSC_0004-3.jpg

a completley enclosed one, with a 3mm carbon fibre riving knife. ZTI plate is also worth doing as well - Rob

Well the sub is coming together nicely. Going to attempt a veneer finish for the first time...

Attachments

• IMG_4444.jpg
    IMG_4444.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg