I declare this bench finished.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
This bench is done. Time to move on.

I am very happy with the way it has turned out. Somewhat relieved and always a little amazed when things work out. Here are the finishing touches, plus a road test to illustrate the work holding areas.

When we left off last the bench had reached this stage ...

dogs14.jpg

I returned to the fray on the weekend. The first task was to build the shelf. This is made of 5/8" thick (after levelling) Jarrah. I glued the panel up last week. Its weight adds another 10 kg (22 lbs) to the total, bringing the final weight of the bench to 192 kg or 422 lbs.

I was planing the panel with The Dreadnought (36" Jarrah jointer). The quickest way to flatten I know ...

Finished1.jpg

... using one bench dog and a makeshift stop, when I decided I was going about this in the wrong order. Get the round dog holes done! So I sharpened up a 3/4" Jennings bit and brought out the 12" MF brace ...

finished2.jpg

I do like this brace. It has the simplicity of a Spofford, but with bling :)

finished3.jpg

Soon I had lined up a series of holes opposite the square dogs, each 1" in from the far side of the bench ...

I have chosen to use the brass Veritas dogs. A slight modification is the addition of suede leather on the flat face.

finished5.jpg

These are long enough to pass through the bench top.

finished4.jpg

The purpose here is to plane across the bench ...

finished6.jpg

The bench is now 12" from the far wall. This allows the use of a jointer or jack plane without danger of hitting the wall. It was not possible to work this way when the old bench was attached to the wall.

The new shelf ..

finished7.jpg

It will hold tools such as a shooting board, Moxon vise, and bench hooks.

finished8.jpg

Alongside the last two square dogs I added two rows of round dog holes. These are coplanar, enabling a short or long bench stop to span the bench. I have yet to make a couple of stops that will be clamped in the leg vise. The following one was co-opted into use in the short term ...

finished10.jpg

The leg vise was given a layer of 2mm thick suede leather on each side. This makes a huge difference to the work holding power of the leg vise. It will now clamp pieces securely with little force.

finished11.jpg

One other point about the leg vise - add the supporting wheels to the glide, as designed by Jameel Abraham, and this will create a smooth running screw, even the wooden one on this bench. I can spin the handle, and the chop will slide in-or-out freely.

My old bench was 34" high. For my height of 5"10" the "pinky test" of Chris Schwarz would point to a bench height of 30" as ideal for planing. My concern, however, was that there are a number of tasks that need to be done at a bench, not just planing. Would the bench be high enough for marking and other detail work? In the end I decided to compromise on a height of 32".

Marking with a gauge is comfortable ...

finished12.jpg

The Moxon dovetail vise is positioned against a dog, and clamped down by two holdfasts at the rear (which may assitionally be used in any of the round dog holes)..

finished13.jpg

Marking dovetails is also fine, but sawing is less comfortable at this height than before. The saw has to angle upward and I can feel my wrist having to cock more than I like ..

finished14.jpg

Cross-cutting (the tails) is another comfortable position ..

finished15.jpg

A bench hook clamped into the leg vise allows chopping to take place over a leg ...

finished16.jpg

It has never been this easy to hold work to plane a rebate along an edge ...

finished19.jpg

I scratched my head for a while how to hold the short ends. Then I remembered I had a tail vise! Easy peasy ..

finished20.jpg

Finally, the sliding deadman, along with the new Veritas surface clamp, made it easy to hold the completed box for planing ..

finished21.jpg

So what was the first project being built on the new bench? It will become a tool tray, one that will attach to the wall instead of the bench. I want to leave the edges of the bench free for clamps, if needed. To the tool tray I will add a section to hold a few chisels and backsaws that are in current use. That is for a later date.

finished17.jpg

The completed bench ...

finished18.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

The first thing that came into my mind...and I think it's the dark Jarrah...was Holtzapffel!

I hope you take that as the ultimate compliment it was meant to be because it is simply beautiful...it's one of those "too beautiful to muck up with shavings" moments!

I am glad also to see the clearance gap at the rear to prevent plane damage. You wouldn't want to ding that little galoot now would you my friend?

Everything about it smacks of taste and you must be really chuffed with the finished result...

I am sure it will set another standard by which others measure their work.

Roll over Charlie...let Derek take over! :wink:

=D> =D> =D>

Jim

Thats definitely a bench to be proud of - nicely made and something to really enjoy working on.

Now you need to start on a plane cabinet to match and house all those beautiful tools!!

There's so much to be envious of there that I don't know where to start! Been following the great blog about the bench build - good to see it finished.

That 36" jointer is a bit special!

Derek - that looks like a VERY solid and versatile bench, and a seriously impressive piece of work. I would venture to suggest that it will remain so for several generations.

Two thoughts - firstly, you should get an engraved brass maker's plate and fit it somewhere. That's a significant accomplishment, and it deserves to be signed. Second - would it be possible to rebuild the Moxon dovetailing vice such that the screws acted just under the benchtop? That would bring sawing height to about an inch or so above bench top level, which might be more comfortable.

It would be very interesting to hear how it settles down in use, over twelve months or so. My suspicion is that you'll wonder how on earth you managed before you built it...

Beautiful bench Derek. Well done, although from your past posts I would expect no less!

What is the "black and brass" device on the bottom right of your deadman as we look at it?

My own bench has similarities to yours in that it uses a (home brewed) wagon vice and top with no aprons, but I used kitchen worktop for the top and a 2nd hand iron vice to make things easier (i.e. do-able) for me. Interesting that 32" height suits you... I am a similar height to you but made mine 35", even though the guide height for me would also be ~30". Guess that I must do a bit more faffing and a bit less planing than you.

Thanks all for so many kind words.

would it be possible to rebuild the Moxon dovetailing vice such that the screws acted just under the benchtop? That would bring sawing height to about an inch or so above bench top level, which might be more comfortable.

I first plan to try out a few blocks of wood under the base, creating "feet". If this is not stable enough I will build another Moxon, one a few inches taller.

What is the "black and brass" device on the bottom right of your deadman as we look at it?

That is a Veritas "Wonder Dog" ... http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 1645,31129

05g1001s5.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow Derek !!! - just gorgeous and beautifully functional at the same time. So many brilliant small details and touches, that really lift it to new heights. I would never tire of getting myself set up on something like that. Trouble is, now you have sown a terrible seed - is my bench all it could be...! Do I need to start and make another..?

Regards, Mark

Not bad at all Derek... :mrgreen: All in a few weeks' work eh?

As Crocodile Dundee would say,
'Now That's a bench!'

:wink:

Edit..
It just struck me... If those bricks behind the bench are the usual 9 inches long, that plane must be pushing 4 feet 6 inches?

:D

Back