I Cannot Weld?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulkane1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just built my work bench,for router/tablesaw etc,its heavy enough,I need to attach 4 self levelling brackets ,I have the idea in my head ,what would be a good strong leveller,made with angle-iron,and,a lead screw,as,I cannot weld,is there a really strong glue/substance,that will stick iron plate back to back,and,be secure,all help appreciated.

Paul

Unless youre wheeling this bench all over the place, why do you need self levelling feet?

The bench is made ,my floor is uneven,and I have my bench on castors to move around my workshop,I need to compensate the unevenness of my floor

What is the bench made from?

I made a large bench from timber. In the end grain of each leg I epoxied in a beefy nut (M12 maybe, it was a while back). Into this i screwed a dome headed bolt with 2 nuts which allowed height adjustment. On the floor was a hockey puck, drilled with a forstner bit to a depth of an inch or so.

This setup was intended to reduce vibration a bit for a large. But it is solid as a rock so I would use it again for another bench. The hockey pucks were from sports direct I think and are a cheap and convenient lump of rubber.

Epoxy will stick iron plate. Get one designed for metal, they're often a bit stronger. 2500 psi from a good bond is achievable, that would be more than strong enough assuming your plate is half a square inch or more.

Until vibration and movement induced fatigue sets in, at which point the glue is the weakest link.

bolts. if you can't weld, adjust the design so you can use bolts.

or cut it all out and make sure it's perfect, then take it to a local fabricators and get them to do the welds, they will charge by the inch plus set up but for what sounds like less than 10" of weld they shouldn't cost the earth.

sorry for being the downer on this.

Latest posts

Back