I bought the cheapest chainsaw, 6 month review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Stihl fitted with an Oregon Staysharp chain, the amount of time saved with this innovative shaped chain and sharpening system for us amateurs is worth every penny, If I was looking for another chain saw I would seriously consider the Oregon 570995 CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chainsaw, it has the sharpening stone built into the saw, so chain trim ups are just a pull of a lever.

I bought the Oregon self sharpening saw last year for chopping up the chunks of confer left over from two big ones felled for me by a professional. Like a pillock I said I wanted them...then realised I didn't :roll:
For a first chainsaw this really impressed me but I found it hard to cut a straight line along the grain through largish lumps 60cm across X 45cm thick. I was probably doing something wrong and it didn't matter, but I just could not get a straight line. I never tried to sort it out and just cleaned it and put it away, so any ideas what to check would be welcome.

Most chains are designed for cross cutting not noodling which you are doing along the grain. I haven't seen the Oregon self sharpening system although I know about it. You may need a milling chain. On ordinary cross cutting being unable to cut straight is usually that the teeth are sharper on one side than the other.

I agree with Lazurus. Following my post on what chaisaw people were using I went for the Timberpro 58cc. I have to say I have been very impressed. It cost me 99€ plus 14€ delivery. It more than meets my demands. I have taken down several large fruit trees a couple of field maple and thinned out the hazel in our hedges and have approaching 12 cubic metre of logs cut into 50cm lengths without any problem. I would have had to have paid about 200€ for the cheapest Stihl which by all accounts is either made in China or assembled in Europe from chinese parts and having taken my old Stihl apart I can't say the difference in build quality is that great.

duncanh":2tfe4bvq said:
To all these people buying cheap chainsaws - I hope you're spending the money that you're saving on decent PPE: trousers, boots, gloves and head protection. Particularly if you're not using the saw regularly and haven't been trained in the best/safest way to use one.

As for why not have a generator + saw - it's good to have the option to head out to the middle of nowhere with a saw without having to transport a generator. Also less to go wrong, less to store at home, and I'd rather not have to worry about cutting through the electric cable, or tripping over it.
Completely agree on all points.

Regarding build quality
There was a video on YouTube I can't find it now putting Chinese saws through c.e testing
This is only of the safety features mostly of the chain break mechanism
It is quite concerning how poorly this works on the timberpro considering it is the biggest barrier between the user and injury in the event of kick back
And this is why I would never want to use one I doesn't matter how well it cuts wood if it doesn't stop when you need it to

Back