I Bought a Track Saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeteG":3q9rm6cv said:
SammyQ":3q9rm6cv said:
PeteG, as the survivor of an industrial accident that peeled part of my left index finger somewhat agin to a banana...you have my utmost sympathies - and best wishes for a wholesome recovery. I do hope you don't experience 'phantom finger'.
Very impressed by your stoicism and 'get on with it' attitude. Respect.

Sam

Appreciated Sammy, I like that, "Stoicism" :D I might have had a little phantom finger the other night when I tried to scratch the end of my finger. And I have thought if I'd still get it after they remove stumpy and move the little pinky over.

If you do suffer from phantom limb pain, you could always build a mirror box and let us know if it actually works. I remember seeing it on an episode of House. As much as I enjoyed that programme, some of it was complete pineapples.

I was actually correct about the goalkeeper. I love how my brain can remember useless rubbish like that and when it comes to important things...... I've lost count of how many pin number reminders I've needed from my bank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nery_Pumpido

scooby":3feooqtf said:
:shock: mate, you're a complete mad man (hammer) I mean that in a nice way, it sounds like nothing gets you down. A good quality.

Don't know about that Scooby, it's been bloody painful watching Man U the last few years :lol:

If you do suffer from phantom limb pain, you could always build a mirror box and let us know if it actually works. I remember seeing it on an episode of House. As much as I enjoyed that programme, some of it was complete pineapples.

Never heard of a mirror box before so had a Google. Not sure I'd use anything like that, but if works for folk that need a little help,
then it's a good thing.

I was actually correct about the goalkeeper. I love how my brain can remember useless rubbish like that and when it comes to important things...... I've lost count of how many pin number reminders I've needed from my bank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nery_Pumpido

A nail sticking out of the goal post! It makes you wonder some times...

Sorry to hear about your accident Pete, that's something I hope I'll never have to experience. But it did remind me of this old poster I found, It's scary to think something so minor such as a ring on the finger has been the main contributor to some accidents:

0_2011389.jpg

Trevanion":fxmlb6cg said:
Sorry to hear about your accident Pete, that's something I hope I'll never have to experience. But it did remind me of this old poster I found, It's scary to think something so minor such as a ring on the finger has been the main contributor to some accidents:

Much appreciated Trevanion :D I've had the first operation this afternoon and everything well. Th surgeon had a problem cutting through the bone and his right hand nurse looked over at me and said, "You've got very tough bones...Then they called on another nurse to get some bone cutters, that took a few minutes as they didn't have any in the room...I asked the surgeon early on, how can he see the nerve endings, me thinking they are some tiny transparent little things, he replied that they look like spaghetti and easy to see... I watched most of what the surgeon was doing, and at one point he said, "You want to see them", he then pulled one out with the tweezers and said, give me a minute and I'll find the other. I bit surreal but very interesting. Anyway, back in ten days for a check up with the main operation in a month. I'll be cold for that one apparently.

I had a chat with one nurse who commented that she sees a lot of injuries due to rings, and then she pulled at her wedding ring. It looked like a gold ring but was made from rubber. She said a have a couple of these and I've made my husband wear one for work as he's an engineer...Our lass works in a warehouse and is also on the H&S team, she said they have a manual and she always thought it covered everything, but there's no mention of rings anywhere. I've asked her to go over everything she does in her day to day job and look for anything that could cause a problem...I'd be a dithering bloody wreck if anything happened to our lass.

Glad to hear it went well and you're on the road to recovery.

As for non metallic rings, I recall seeing quite a few youtube woodworkers wearing qalo rings. I think they have an eu website.

PeteG":3n4ik3tp said:
I have thought if I'd still get it after they remove stumpy and move the little pinky over.

Are you saying they are actually moving the little finger across? Not leaving the gap?

I don't wear rings very often, but I do have several bracelets that I almost never take off as they are a PITA to get back on one handed - think maybe I'll be getting better at doing that from now on.

*desperately trying not to think about what might happen*

You stoicism is remarkable - "fag and a cuppa" - I'd be apoplectic, but I'm not good with blood.

PeteG":1ir7xws0 said:
Trevanion":1ir7xws0 said:

Much appreciated Trevanion :D I've had the first operation this afternoon and everything well. Th surgeon had a problem cutting through the bone and his right hand nurse looked over at me and said, "You've got very tough bones...Then they called on another nurse to get some bone cutters, that took a few minutes as they didn't have any in the room...I asked the surgeon early on, how can he see the nerve endings, me thinking they are some tiny transparent little things, he replied that they look like spaghetti and easy to see... I watched most of what the surgeon was doing, and at one point he said, "You want to see them", he then pulled one out with the tweezers and said, give me a minute and I'll find the other. I bit surreal but very interesting. Anyway, back in ten days for a check up with the main operation in a month. I'll be cold for that one apparently.

I had a chat with one nurse who commented that she sees a lot of injuries due to rings, and then she pulled at her wedding ring. It looked like a gold ring but was made from rubber. She said a have a couple of these and I've made my husband wear one for work as he's an engineer...Our lass works in a warehouse and is also on the H&S team, she said they have a manual and she always thought it covered everything, but there's no mention of rings anywhere. I've asked her to go over everything she does in her day to day job and look for anything that could cause a problem...I'd be a dithering bloody wreck if anything happened to our lass.

YOU WERE AWAKE ???????

no way, nu-uh, no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no .....

Holy bananas, I'm actually sat here gobsmacked.

scooby":1t62qmi4 said:
Glad to hear it went well and you're on the road to recovery.

Much appreciated fella :D

scooby":1t62qmi4 said:
As for non metallic rings, I recall seeing quite a few youtube woodworkers wearing qalo rings. I think they have an eu website.

They're the ones or similar that our lass were looking at yesterday. I think she'll probably get one for work, if nothing else it'd put her
mind at rest knowing her rings can't get caught on anything.

rafezetter":15yj1j2d said:
Are you saying they are actually moving the little finger across? Not leaving the gap?

That's what I thought they were going today yesterday after the conversation with the doctor last Monday.
But the surgeon yesterday said he had to clean everything up first, then I have to let it heal, then in a month,
he'll cut a "V" shape out of the hand which'll bring the little finger over to the middle. He reckons it'll improve grip
over having a gap and I won't have or at least have less problems with the nerve endings. Apparently they'll be
sensitive to cold, and no doubt I'll keep knocking the bump.

I don't wear rings very often, but I do have several bracelets that I almost never take off as they are a PITA to get back on one handed - think maybe I'll be getting better at doing that from now on.

*desperately trying not to think about what might happen*

You stoicism is remarkable - "fag and a cuppa" - I'd be apoplectic, but I'm not good with blood.

A brew cures everything, except making fingers grow back :) Eventually I got a smile out of our lass on Saturday, she said
the paramedics looked completely baffled when you went out and asked if they wanted a brew.. They probably thought
it was a false alarm...

YOU WERE AWAKE ???????

no way, nu-uh, no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no .....

Holy bananas, I'm actually sat here gobsmacked.

Yes, you'd think when someone says they'll clean it up, it means they'll wash it, give it a kiss and put Savlon on it :D

First off, sorry for the accident and "Gute Besserung" to you as they say here (and I agree with the above post, you've got some guts chatting with the surgeon while he does his "worst/best" with yer digit mate).

Re rings, in my basic aircraft engineering training we were told that rings while working were a strict NO-NO. We were shown a safety film (no videos in those days!) where a bloke was working on top of a wing and 'cos it wasn't a big aeroplane he sat down then slid of the leading edge (much smoother/more rounded than the trailing edge!). Quite standard practice on smaller aircraft.

Anyway, on the way down he put a hand out to just steady his descent and his ring got caught between two adjoining access panels (aeroplanes aren't quite as smooth & "shiny" when you're close up to them as they look from a distance). So his ring held fast and he hit the ground having left his finger up on the LE of the wing. Ouch!

I must say that I DO wear a ring (2 actually) when in my shop, but back in the day when I was inspecting other peoples' work on aircraft, both rings and my watch always came off - likewise when in my shop these days if I'm doing something where I think there's any chance of getting caught up.

In these health & safety conscious days I'm surprised to read (above) that this is not covered in the various books & leaflets. Nver heard of rubber rings but a good idea if you're a bit lax in taking them off (as I must admit I am sometimes) - for full-time workers perhaps put them on at the start of the working day and replace them with real ones when it's going home time?

A silicone one might just be useful for me as depending on cake ingestion levels that month my titanium ring is sometimes loose enough to fall off when washing hands and stuff.

Crazy that this is common enough and yet so few practices are in place to help prevent it.

AES":33qxfm7e said:
First off, sorry for the accident and "Gute Besserung" to you as they say here (and I agree with the above post, you've got some guts chatting with the surgeon while he does his "worst/best" with yer digit mate).

Re rings, in my basic aircraft engineering training we were told that rings while working were a strict NO-NO. We were shown a safety film (no videos in those days!) where a bloke was working on top of a wing and 'cos it wasn't a big aeroplane he sat down then slid of the leading edge (much smoother/more rounded than the trailing edge!). Quite standard practice on smaller aircraft.

Anyway, on the way down he put a hand out to just steady his descent and his ring got caught between two adjoining access panels (aeroplanes aren't quite as smooth & "shiny" when you're close up to them as they look from a distance). So his ring held fast and he hit the ground having left his finger up on the LE of the wing. Ouch!

I must say that I DO wear a ring (2 actually) when in my shop, but back in the day when I was inspecting other peoples' work on aircraft, both rings and my watch always came off - likewise when in my shop these days if I'm doing something where I think there's any chance of getting caught up.

In these health & safety conscious days I'm surprised to read (above) that this is not covered in the various books & leaflets. Nver heard of rubber rings but a good idea if you're a bit lax in taking them off (as I must admit I am sometimes) - for full-time workers perhaps put them on at the start of the working day and replace them with real ones when it's going home time?

Danke sehr AES :D As mentioned, I never work in the shed with loose clothing and besides my wedding ring I've never worn any other
jewelery, not even a watch. I'd like to think that if I was aware of the dangers a ring could cause, I'd have taken it off. Lesson learnt and
not a mistake I'll make again.

DBT85":2j17na0o said:
A silicone one might just be useful for me as depending on cake ingestion levels that month my titanium ring is sometimes loose enough to fall off when washing hands and stuff.

So you have a cake sanctuary as well :D I do nearly all the cooking at home including lovely big chocolate cakes with a full coating of chocolate butter cream :D

DBT85":2j17na0o said:
Crazy that this is common enough and yet so few practices are in place to help prevent it.

Totally agree fella, and hopefully, a few lads and lasses on here would have found this thread brought something to light they
weren't aware of...Saying that, they'd have to have been searching track saws to come across it!

PeteG":3juoke2w said:
DBT85":3juoke2w said:

So you have a cake sanctuary as well :D I do nearly all the cooking at home including lovely big chocolate cakes with a full coating of chocolate butter cream :D

DBT85":3juoke2w said:

Totally agree fella, and hopefully, a few lads and lasses on here would have found this thread brought something to light they
weren't aware of...Saying that, they'd have to have been searching track saws to come across it!

Ha yeah it might be worth renaming it or getting a mod to split it out and move the bit about the table saw into a new thread!

Well about an hour ago we were at panic station Alpha. 2x 12 week old kittens were missing (named Vala and Maldoran, in case you were wondering).

Needless to say, they found the one bit of kitchen where I'd not put a filler in betwixt wall and cupboard and jumped through and under. One of those jobs that needed doing, but everything else was more important.

Anyway, owing to the glorious nature of houses, the walls are all out of square, so one fillet was hastily cut with my new plunge saw and Evolution 1400mm track. 85mm wide at the top, 91mm wide at the bottom and 720mm tall. Easy to do with the plunge saw, less easy on a table saw and straighter than with a jigsaw or whatever else. Also deadly accurate. I had to take about 5 thin shavings off one side with a #5 and the fillet slotted home with screws only used because they should be.

The board was 18mm chip with a painted veneer from DIY Kitchens (highly recommended btw). Perfect cut on both sides of the cut and both sides of the board, no paint chipped off anywhere. This was using my Freud 40t blade.

It's probably the best fitting wooden* fillet in the entire kitchen and only made that easy because of the track saw.

So thanks to Peter Millard for showing me the light. A track saw had never been on my radar before despite knowing what they were. Now I'm already thinking up other jobs that will be easier with this than any other tool I've owned.

I'll have yet another watch of his tracksaw workshop series while bored at work this weekend!

DBT85":3od2xo4j said:
So thanks to Peter Millard for showing me the light. A track saw had never been on my radar before despite knowing what they were. Now I'm already thinking up other jobs that will be easier with this than any other tool I've owned.

Stop it :D I'd love to have a go of my track saw at the moment :lol: I watched the Workshop series a few times before buying one and again after. And although I haven't used it much so far, I do fancy having a go at new kitchen units at some point.

Peter hope the hand is getting better.

Love your new byline, but should that be nine fingers. :wink: or seven and two thumbs. :wink:

Mike

MikeJhn":icm6rpli said:
Peter hope the hand is getting better.

Love your new byline, but should that be nine fingers. :wink: or seven and two thumbs. :wink:

Mike

I'm fine Mike :D I couldn't help it with the byline, first thing I thought of was Franky Four Fingers out of Snatch :lol:
Had a little test drive in the car today without any problems, I thought I might have struggled with the seat belt,
but again it was fine. I'm planning a little session in the shed tomorrow, see if I can finish the plant stand for our
lass :D

Back