I Bought a Track Saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
After weeks of umming and awing I decided to order a Titan from Screwfix, click and collect on Friday. I arrived home all excited, kettle on and prepared the shed for the unboxing ceremony. The box didn't seem quite right and neither did the saw after opening the lid. It looked a little dirty, but not quite as dirty as the blade which still had saw dust around the teeth. Boxed up and fifteen minutes later it's returned to Screwfix, replacement due Saturday...Friday evening I keep thinking about comments I've read on line, saws selling between £50 and £70.00 at B&Q. Sod it I thought, they won't have any left but it won't hurt to find out. I call B&Q in Bury as I'd be driving that way Saturday morning. Sold out, but apparently Manchester had five Mac Allister in stock at £55.00...Couldn't find them on the B&Q website, but if you Google "Mac Allister Handheld", a link appears https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-all ... 075_BQ.prd They look identical to the Titan besides the name so I thought I'd call M/C just to check it was a stock item, and sure enough it was. Twenty minutes later I'm in the clearance section standing in front of a shelf full of Mac Allister track saws, only problem is, a member of staff was convinced they were £70.00, which they were before being reduced again on line. Then this very nice young lady says, I can let you have a Titan one for £55.00. Sounds good, and she disappears in to a side room. The box looked a little tired but the saw was brand new, sadly however, the spare bushes and vac adapter were missing. She offers a Mac Allister for the same price, £55.00, and whilst I'm umming and awing again, she disappears back in to the side room, a moment later the door opens and she has found several more Titan saws. Fantastic I thought, can I have on for £40.00, no, £55.00, what about £45.00, OK then :D What a result that was. Brand new, never been opened, complete with spare bushes, vax adapter, two 700 mm guide rails and two track connectors.

It didn't cut very square out of the box but after a quick inspection, I could see the left hand grub screw was a couple of mm high whilst the right hand one wasn't showing at all. A quick adjustment of both, and all was well.

Base Plate SAL.jpg

Base Plate Square Adjustment.jpg

It has a track compensator on the depth stop, in the down position with no track, this gives maximum depth of cut. I only mention this in case there's someone else like me who hasn't used a track saw before. I should say plunge saw, as I've been using a circular saw on a track for a few years.

Depth Stop GR.jpg

Depth Stop.jpg

First cut after trimming the splinter guard, some 19 mm MDF...

Cutting Depth.jpg

I've been making a jig today. I took a day bed apart for my folks a few weeks ago, the MDF was part of the base. It's a little too wide for one 700 mm guide rail, so it's either use both, not ideal, buy a 1 metre length of Makita track or make one! I made the jig with a 610 mm internal measurement for a project coming up, but I might cut it down after that.

TTS Jig.jpg

Attachments

• Base Plate Square Adjustment.jpg
    Base Plate Square Adjustment.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 2,637
  • Base Plate SAL.jpg
    Base Plate SAL.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 2,634
  • Depth Stop GR.jpg
    Depth Stop GR.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 2,610
  • Depth Stop.jpg
    Depth Stop.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 2,611
  • Cutting Depth.jpg
    Cutting Depth.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 2,612
  • TTS Jig.jpg
    TTS Jig.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 2,602
Nice one and thanks for the post.

I live pretty close to the B&Q at Bury, might have a drive round there next week.

I absolutely love my track saw. I started with the cheap scheppach one but it couldn't handle anything more than 18mm mdf. Upgraded to the dewalt and it's fantastic. I'd say it is the best power tool I own.

scooby":399fadvp said:

I live pretty close to the B&Q at Bury, might have a drive round there next week.

You're welcome Scooby :D Bury were out of stock, it was the Cheethamhill branch at the Fort. The Mac Allister saws are on display in the clearance section. When you go in, turn right towards the tills, the clearance section is on the right. The Titan saws were in a storage room, staff only!

TFrench":399fadvp said:
I absolutely love my track saw. I started with the cheap scheppach one but it couldn't handle anything more than 18mm mdf. Upgraded to the dewalt and it's fantastic. I'd say it is the best power tool I own.

I didn't hesitate when I wanted a circular saw several years back, I bought a Bosch Professional with a 1.4 metre rail. It only has 16 teeth on the blade but a 1400 watt motor, and it's cut through some pretty nasty stuff recently. I nearly bought the Aldi saw whilst out shopping but decided to read up on them first. Then I came across the Track Saw Workshop videos by Peter Millard, and the Plunge Saw Showdown by the Skill Builder chaps. I was very tempted by the Makita and had seen some good kit prices around the £350.00 mark, but in reality it was out of my price range. I'm happy with the Titan so far, the Bosch will be used for all the nasties whilst the Titan will have an easy life cutting MDF to 19 mm and some plywoods to 12 mm.

Was there a specific reason you bought the Dewalt?

Aquachiefofficer":399fadvp said:
Hi Pete, Awed by your negotiating skills!
Would you be my estate agent when I buy my next house =D> :D

:D Why not, it could be fun. I must have some hidden charm in my negotiating skills because the good looks buggered off a long time ago, if they were ever there in the first place :D

Mainly bought the Dewalt because it was the best priced kit at the time. I don't think there's much between them to be honest when you get to that price point. It came with 2 x 1.5m rails which has been handy occasionally. I got roped into doing a worktop for someone and told him I'd do it if he got me new router cutters for it. He got one made of cheese that burned out in seconds so I ended up joining the worktop straight off the saw cut, and it looked fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TFrench":383rnk2q said:
Mainly bought the Dewalt because it was the best priced kit at the time. I don't think there's much between them to be honest when you get to that price point.

I was a little surprised when the chaps on Skill Builder said the Bosch and Mafell were made in the same factory, but then should I have been.

TFrench":383rnk2q said:
I got roped into doing a worktop for someone and told him I'd do it if he got me new router cutters for it. He got one made of cheese that burned out in seconds so I ended up joining the worktop straight off the saw cut, and it looked fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think that might be too much for my Titan, not sure I'd even try cutting a worktop with it. At some point I'd like to make new kitchen units, and getting the Titan is part of the build up to it, but I think when the time comes, I'll upgrade.

PeteG":3kh34h04 said:
scooby":3kh34h04 said:

You're welcome Scooby :D Bury were out of stock, it was the Cheethamhill branch at the Fort. The Mac Allister saws are on display in the clearance section. When you go in, turn right towards the tills, the clearance section is on the right. The Titan saws were in a storage room, staff only!

Thanks again Pete. Bury and Cheetham Hill are a similar distance from me (Cheetham a bit more). You've saved me a journey, much appreciated.

scooby":285c48n6 said:
PeteG":285c48n6 said:
scooby":285c48n6 said:

Thanks again Pete. Bury and Cheetham Hill are a similar distance from me (Cheetham a bit more). You've saved me a journey, much appreciated.

You're very welcome Scooby :D Are you Prestwich/Salford side of town?

I picked up my first tracksaw this past week (Makita DSP600ZJ, catchy name) yet to put it to use as I was waiting for some MDF to arrive but hopefully make my first cut this week.

With my negotiations skills I'd have ended up paying out more, nice work.

scooby":22wzx4q0 said:
yeah, not a million miles away. Usually go past your neck of the woods when I go to the velodrome.

I've been meaning to have a look in the Velodrome years but never got round to it. Used to drive past it a lot going to Machine Mart.

sundaytrucker":22wzx4q0 said:
I picked up my first tracksaw this past week (Makita DSP600ZJ, catchy name) yet to put it to use as I was waiting for some MDF to arrive but hopefully make my first cut this week.

Oooo, the cordless one, very nice. I really fancied the Makita SP6000, I just thought the kit price and hopefully the quality compared with entry level saws made sense. Saying that, I'm very happy with the Titan so far and can't to start using it proper like tomorrow, even though it's only 12 mm ply.
I had a little play with the jig again the following day trimming some MDF about 470 mm wide, wasn't quite spot on so moved the small block of ply twice the thickness of 400 grit paper, worked a treat.

TTS Jig.jpg

sundaytrucker":22wzx4q0 said:

I have to admit I was bloody cheeky today, but if you don't ask! I called in to see if there was any chance I could buy the track from the saw
that had a couple of parts missing. I paid a fiver for two 700 mm sections with two locking rods. May be not ideal using 4 x 700 mm tracks,
but it's got to be better than using two and moving them...

Attachments

• TTS Jig.jpg
    TTS Jig.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 2,098
PeteG":31vv27yy said:
scooby":31vv27yy said:
yeah, not a million miles away. Usually go past your neck of the woods when I go to the velodrome.

I've been meaning to have a look in the Velodrome years but never got round to it. Used to drive past it a lot going to Machine Mart.

sundaytrucker":31vv27yy said:

Oooo, the cordless one, very nice. I really fancied the Makita SP6000, I just thought the kit price and hopefully the quality compared with entry level saws made sense. Saying that, I'm very happy with the Titan so far and can't to start using it proper like tomorrow, even though it's only 12 mm ply.
I had a little play with the jig again the following day trimming some MDF about 470 mm wide, wasn't quite spot on so moved the small block of ply twice the thickness of 400 grit paper, worked a treat.

sundaytrucker":31vv27yy said:

I have to admit I was bloody cheeky today, but if you don't ask! I called in to see if there was any chance I could buy the track from the saw
that had a couple of parts missing. I paid a fiver for two 700 mm sections with two locking rods. May be not ideal using 4 x 700 mm tracks,

:D You'd get on well with my dad, hes all for bartering. He lives by the same mantra 'if you dont ask..' Unfortunately I'm the opposite, I lack the confidence and patience. I'd be the one paying full whack :(

I still havent got round to going, but as I alluded to above..I'll probably end up just going to Screwfix sometime in the future (hammer)
Re; tracks, I've seen a few youtubers (Peter Millard,etc) saying evolution are making long tracks at affordable prices. Not sure if they are available at the moment.

Not sure if you watch Peter Millard but he did an excellent tracksaw series recently.

scooby":2lmn0a16 said:
PeteG":2lmn0a16 said:
scooby":2lmn0a16 said:

sundaytrucker":2lmn0a16 said:

sundaytrucker":2lmn0a16 said:

:D You'd get on well with my dad, hes all for bartering. He lives by the same mantra 'if you dont ask..' Unfortunately I'm the opposite, I lack the confidence and patience. I'd be the one paying full whack :(

I still havent got round to going, but as I alluded to above..I'll probably end up just going to Screwfix sometime in the future (hammer)
Re; tracks, I've seen a few youtubers (Peter Millard,etc) saying evolution are making long tracks at affordable prices. Not sure if they are available at the moment.

Not sure if you watch Peter Millard but he did an excellent tracksaw series recently.

Oh I, I've watched the Tracksaw Workshop, that's where I saw the jig Peter makes...If you are after one and fancy the Titan, don't pay £90.00 at Screwfix, you could get two for that price at B&Q and you'd have four lengths of track...B&Q still have them in, they're not on display but I'm sure if you ask they'll be happy to get you one. They still had the Mac Allister saws in clearance this morning, identical to the Titan other than a colour change.
Screwfix have the Evolution track on line, £70.00 for two 1400 mm tracks with clamps and a bag...Personally, for the Titan saw I'd rather pay the extra and buy Makita track so you can use the safety feature if or when you cut at 45 degrees. May be not that necessary, but it's there if you need it. You can also use the open T slot at the back to attach accessories, again, you might never use it, but it's there if or when you need it...

Ths ks for the heads up about the B&Q ones being on sale. I only first watched Millard the other day and ended up watching about 4 dozen videos in one very quiet night shift!

Since I had already planned to sell my Bosch GTS 10 J table saw anyway, the idea of instead buying a tracksaw and a bandsaw and one of the cheapo hvlp sprayers he used (which will all get far more use) appeals.

Saving £55 on the tracksaw to boot is even better.

No its not going to be as good as a festool, but I don't have that kind of money sitting around right now. If the titan/macallister gets that much use then I'll get a better one later.

I love having the table saw, but it's a ballache to set up when I want it as I can't leave it up, and I can't cut a full sheets width, and even finding 16ft+ for a full sheet is problematic!

A track saw, for my uses right now, makes more sense.

Millard also has a video(s) on the evolution track coming out soon he says. To be that cheap and have a bag and clamps with them, it's certainly a tempting proposition even if it might not allow the use of some other things.

Millard also did mention that he's not needed the anti tilt thing iirc.

I shall pop to kiddie tomorrow as apparently they have plenty. Have you thought about a replacement blade as often I find included blades in most things to be a fair bit below anything you can get for a tenner.

Thanks again!

Incidentally, they are still selling a Mac Allister for £100, but its a different (identical) version https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-all ... 579_BQ.prd

If you look very closely at the photos, you can see they've just photoshopped a new logo over the old one!

DBT85":2gmdx225 said:
I only first watched Millard the other day and ended up watching about 4 dozen videos in one very quiet night shift!
Hope you didn’t skip the adverts...:D

Millard also has a video(s) on the evolution track coming out soon he says. To be that cheap and have a bag and clamps with them, it's certainly a tempting proposition even if it might not allow the use of some other things.

Millard also did mention that he's not needed the anti tilt thing iirc.

Yes, the Evo tracks are very good - video out in due course - though you do sacrifice the upper t-track. I’ve always thought the Makita anti-tipping thing to be a gimmick, more a ‘differentiator’ when they entered the plungesaw market than a real benefit - but I understand why some folks might find it comforting.

So, the B&Q site says Kidderminster has them "in stock" while the net nearest (Coventry!) is "low stock". They both still say the same even now.

So Off I trundle to Kiddy, 40 minutes int he car, 10 minutes wandering, looking asking and 40 minutes back. None in stock, none in the back. Zip.

Colour me one unhappy moggy and I'm sure as poop not driving all the way to Coventry.

I was going to put in an order with Screwfix for the bandsaw anyway so I'll do one larger order. Will also get a replacement blade for the plunge while I'm at it.

Latest posts

Back