I blame YouTube, how many more Americanisms are we going to have to suffer ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one that really annoys me is when asking for something in a cafe or shop. For example asking for a coffee: "Can I get a coffee" :mad: ....only if you go behind the counter and make it yourself!

Pugwash? Hidden meanings? Only if you believe the urban myth about what the Black Pig's mate's name was
Urban myths come about when chinese wispers are used to repeat somthing you told somebody who repeated to somebody etc etc so with social media being what it is we should be up to our thigh boots in myths by now

"...and for reaching out to cinch." I don't know about anyone else but I usually contact people, as I find my arms are too short to reach out beyond my immediate vacinity.

"...and for reaching out to cinch." I don't know about anyone else but I usually contact people, as I find my arms are too short to reach out beyond my immediate vacinity.
And yet "contact" means "touch with" originally. So you'd still need those long arms.
Just goes to show, once again, that language evolves.

And yet "contact" means "touch with" originally. So you'd still need those long arms.
Just goes to show, once again, that language evolves.

I thought you shouted it when the magnetos were switched on so the guy on the ground could pull the propeller so you could hunt the Red Baron.

Pete ;)

Leominster, another. How about Lyme Regis? A friend was once asked, by an American tourist, the way to LYMEE REG-is. My friend told him that was where the original 'Limeys' came from!

Similarly in East Dorset we have Corfe Mullen and Corfe Castle. As a child I would sometimes spend time at some friends just outside of Corfe Castle. An American asked the way to Corfee Castle.

Shapwick is pronounced Shapick. Beaminster is pronounced Bemister, and I once had a woman who insisted that Chideock was was Chide Oak not Chidick.

Historically in Dorset the letter S was pronounced hard like a Z in many words, as was the letter F which was pronounced like a V, as in Welsh. So, I could say that "I'm vrom Darzet"

Nigel.

Similarly in East Dorset we have Corfe Mullen and Corfe Castle. As a child I would sometimes spend time at some friends just outside of Corfe Castle. An American asked the way to Corfee Castle.

Shapwick is pronounced Shapick. Beaminster is pronounced Bemister, and I once had a woman who insisted that Chideock was was Chide Oak not Chidick.

Historically in Dorset the letter S was pronounced hard like a Z in many words, as was the letter F which was pronounced like a V, as in Welsh. So, I could say that "I'm vrom Darzet"

Nigel.
And what about Schenectady, Acequia, Ahwatukee , Port Hueneme, Wampanoag, Synendoche or Passamaquoddy? It's not just Americans who struggle with English place names. English people might struggle with some American place names too...

Back