I blame YouTube, how many more Americanisms are we going to have to suffer ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vise instead of Vice. Doesn’t even sound right.
Clamp for Cramp that one is almost ubiquitous now, in case you didn’t know a clamp is that bit of wood on the end of a breadboard, or something that fastens onto a tube. I think in this case it was just easier for people like Axminster to copy the American way.
Lumber instead of Timber. I think I’m right in saying that lumber in the UK is used to refer to trees before they are cut up.
Jointer for Planer
Tote for Handle.
Is it just me? Am I getting too old?

The tote thing is abhorrent. Tote is a bag, or toot (said like "foot") in local german where I grew up. Handles are on planes and saws. I committed this sin early on, but hated the sound - would you like a purse with your saw? Why do you want a tote - are you going to put the handle in it and carry it around on your shoulder?

Timber is large bits here, like framing a house. Or standing wood. If lumber were used for trees, we'd call it standing lumber or lumber on the stump, but a "timber stand" is far more common. "timber walking" is the process of estimating how much is in a stand.

As for cramps, i don't know why you want to have PMS and woodworking confused.

You've been dealing with a lot of cramps today? Here's to an improved mood later!

Vise is the physical object here. Vice is a bad quasi cable channel or an addiction.

I don't know whether it's american, but I have a lot of anxiety about being called "Bro".

Not a fan here, either. Anyone who uses bro also tends to rely on bro science rather than science. It should end at college.

Just looked. In 2017 they had over 7,000. They are here in Canada as well. So this is a reverse of Americanisms. We are being Britishized....again.

Pete
Sorry for inflicting those pesky things on you Pete, but they have to be better than driving through a town and stopping every 40 yards at a stop sign and then starting off again the waste in fuel must be colossal.
I don’t say adequate I said brilliant or wonderful – annoys the hell out of people ha ha

By the way, I wasn't into woodworking at all until I met an englishman who left england before PC became popular. He is one of the foulest talking folks I've ever met, and I get a charge out of his lines about various things.

Linisher. Post Drill. (is there a pre-drill? what about one that's just in the present. or is this something you practice repetitively in basketball, or does it put a hole in mail? Or perhaps certain cereal boxes, but not kelloggs.

He does say to me "Plane-uh...you r_____d. How can someone as intelligent as you supposedly are be such a moron!! are you still working only with hand tools? I taught you better than that you f____ luddite!"

The tote thing is abhorrent. Tote is a bag, or toot (said like "foot") in local german where I grew up. Handles are on planes and saws. I committed this sin early on, but hated the sound - would you like a purse with your saw? Why do you want a tote - are you going to put the handle in it and carry it around on your shoulder?

Timber is large bits here, like framing a house. Or standing wood. If lumber were used for trees, we'd call it standing lumber or lumber on the stump, but a "timber stand" is far more common. "timber walking" is the process of estimating how much is in a stand.

As for cramps, i don't know why you want to have PMS and woodworking confused.

You've been dealing with a lot of cramps today? Here's to an improved mood later!

Vise is the physical object here. Vice is a bad quasi cable channel or an addiction.
I’ve never heard people use the word timber in America I don’t think, it’s always lumber particularly as in lumberyard

By the way, I wasn't into woodworking at all until I met an englishman who left england before PC became popular. He is one of the foulest talking folks I've ever met, and I get a charge out of his lines about various things.

Linisher. Post Drill. (is there a pre-drill? what about one that's just in the present. or is this something you practice repetitively in basketball, or does it put a hole in mail? Or perhaps certain cereal boxes, but not kelloggs.

He does say to me "Plane-uh...you r_____d. How can someone as intelligent as you supposedly are be such a moron!! are you still working only with hand tools? I taught you better than that you f____ luddite!"
I suppose it’s a post drill (not that I have ever heard of such a thing) as it was mounted on a post? A bit like post mill which is a windmill on a post that you spin around to face the wind.

US purse = UK handbag, I think.

UK purse is a wallet for women, for carry banknotes and bank cards, loose change etc, usually a bit bigger than a man's wallet.

I’ve never heard people use the word timber in America I don’t think, it’s always lumber particularly as in lumberyard

Timber framing assumes large lumber (like cants and beams). You won't find that stuff at a lumber yard - it generally comes directly from the mill. But if you use the world framing around someone, or timber framing, it will mean two different things. The former is assumed to occur with dimensional lumber. The latter with cants, beams, etc.

Timber generally refers to things larger (including logs, though most people call logs that are uncut "logs" - timber refers to standing trees).

https://www.timberbuilt.com/timber-frame-home-designs/

I suppose it’s a post drill (not that I have ever heard of such a thing) as it was mounted on a post? A bit like post mill which is a windmill on a post that you spin around to face the wind.

I would imagine that the early "post" drills were attached to things like a timber frame.

See what I did there!!

The older drills here were not large freestanding units, but rather something assumed to be attached to a standing beam, etc. Not sure about the metalwork side.

Pillar drill is one I've never heard used here, either - but google will turn it into items to buy if searched in the US. Post drill gives us the older post drill type in the US - not sure what it returns if you enter it from the UK.

"To" and "through".

UK, 1 to 10, Mon to Fri.
US, 1 through 10, Mon through Fri.

US "through" sounds weird, how does Monday go through Friday? Does Friday have a hole and Monday goes through it?

Although this usage is not used in the UK, yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back