I blame YouTube, how many more Americanisms are we going to have to suffer ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Vise instead of Vice. Doesn’t even sound right.
Clamp for Cramp that one is almost ubiquitous now, in case you didn’t know a clamp is that bit of wood on the end of a breadboard, or something that fastens onto a tube. I think in this case it was just easier for people like Axminster to copy the American way.
Lumber instead of Timber. I think I’m right in saying that lumber in the UK is used to refer to trees before they are cut up.
Jointer for Planer
Tote for Handle.
Is it just me? Am I getting too old?

The trouble with this argument is it does not withstand scrutiny. People who study the English language generally assert that US English has stayed much truer to the language spoken and written by the original settlers, than British English. Hence it is the language of these islands that has moved on. Language evolves and words become appropriated to have different meanings. Gay is a good example. Decimate (reduce by a tenth) is another as most people think it means largely destroy. Few people now use disinterested correctly (they wrongly think it is similar to uninterested).

"Timber" dates from the 12th C and meant growing trees or the wood derived from them. Lumber dates from circa 14th C and meant the wood or dressed logs cut from trees. Both meanings pre-date the European discovery of America. Meanings change through ignorance, or simple use and misuse changes them.

Last edited:
planer thicknesser jointer is the one that gets to me as it made it a pain in the ... finding the right information online at first.
I would assume a jointer would be something that actually joins the boards, not preps them by plaining the surface and a plainer something that plains, not takes to thickness; it just doesn't make sense to me that its different at all

I don’t know how to say this, I may be moving there permanently soon ha ha, so I had probably just better get used to it hadn’t I !
It’s a funny thing, it doesn’t annoy me at all when I’m there.

I recently emailed Cinch, the car buying company, about the ad they are running on TV.

I asked them, if it wasn't too much trouble, to tell that bearded bloke who does their adverts that in America they say 'Anyways' while here in the UK we say 'Anyway'. I got a very nice reply from Alannah from their Customer Service Team saying "Thank you very much for your email and for reaching out to cinch. I will pass on your feedback to the marketing team."

Well, it gave my daughter a laugh 😁

I emailed Cinch, the car buying company, about their current ad they are running on TV.

I asked them, if it wasn't too much trouble, to tell that bearded bloke who does their adverts that in America they say 'Anyways' while here in the UK we say 'Anyway'. I got a very nice reply from Alannah from their Customer Service Team saying "Thank you very much for your email and for reaching out to cinch. I will pass on your feedback to the marketing team."

Well, it gave my daughter a laugh 😁

We should all take this as a shining example; be more Selectortone!

My hate is noting to do with woodworking. Heist is becoming standard instead of robbery, even on the BBC.

Back