I bent me spindle...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbobster

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I wanted to change the bearings on my woodworking spindle so tried doing it with my 12 ton press...
I got a few tons into 'she'll move soon you know' before I realised there was something up. I didn't realise there was a 'shoulder' (for want of a correct term) so the bearing would only go one way; I was trying to go the wrong way hence, I bent me spindle.
I've tried finding a replacement with no luck, it's an old machine and I like it so I'd rather fix than dump, so...
Does anyone know anywhere that might do reasonably priced one off work or, of course, would anyone here be able/prepared to help, please?
Rob

https://baconengineering.com/On the Fish Docks in Grimsby they do all sorts of work like that, marine engineers originally but they work on all sorts of machines from all sorts of industries. They did the drums for me for that desk I made. Whether they could straighten I’m not sure obviously, but I can guarantee they could make you one. Ian

https://baconengineering.com/On the Fish Docks in Grimsby they do all sorts of work like that, marine engineers originally but they work on all sorts of machines from all sorts of industries. They did the drums for me for that desk I made. Whether they could straighten I’m not sure obviously, but I can guarantee they could make you one. Ian
Thanks, Ian. I'll check them out.

Axminster sold their own version of that lathe so might have spares - but it's a long time ago, even for them.

Whoops, I thought you meant a spindle moulder, no matter same applies. Ian

I also thought spindle moulder! Some moulders had interchangeable shafts so a replacement could possibly be found, but that's of no use to topbobster!

As Cabinetman said, you may be able to have it straightened professionally but I would say that could be prohibitively expensive, probably more than you paid for the lathe.

It might be worth appealing to a youtuber looking for a project. I have seen several where they are making odd machine parts for other youtubers- mainly in the usa- but have no idea what money changed hands. It would make an interesting video and perhaps wouldn't be at a full workshop rate.

It might be easier to make a new spindle rather than straightening yours. My little jet has a setting that runs at 3000 rpm, I assume yours will have similar. I would want something at that speed to be as true as it should be.

Back