I am still astonished...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
... at the amount wood can move once the stress is relieved.

I know for a fact that this wood (I still can't decide if its elm or walnut) has been in a friends barn since the early 90's when it came down. Its dry.

After piercing, it moved so much that there was a 2mm gap in the rim at one point. I was staring at it in dismay and the wife said "copper wire". After the "oh damn"s and the "rats" and the "why didn't I think of that"s I set too with my purfling cutter and let in some earth wire. The rim is now solid instead of flexible and I suspect I might do it on purpose in future as I rather like the way it looks. The finish has yet to be cut back smooth.

Attachments

• 100_2884.jpg
    100_2884.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 100_2883.jpg
    100_2883.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Thats why on larger bowls you are supposed to rough turn and leave for the stresses to settle and then return to finish it off.

You can get away on smaller pieces but on anything larger it should not be turned in a single sitting.

I know this how ..... 'cos I had some go like yours!

Anything over 9/10 inches I now do as recommended. Even platters will distort. I found that out on really well seasoned wood and thought - it's only a platter that will be alright ....

:lol: 8)

Strangely, I have just done some purfling, but it's on the top of the 'lazy susan' I'm doing (hopefully?). I used the point of my home made captive ring tool to cut the slot. All I have to do now is to power sand it down and Fanny's yer aunt? :mrgreen: I hope...

That looks good, intended or not!

Latest posts

Back