• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I am getting shot of some woodwork stuff.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bob,

On Friday, I spoke to the rep from DWP. Sounded a right miserable basket; seemed extremely suspicious as to why I wanted to be the appointee for Jean's finances. Well he'll get his answer when he meets her next week!

I shall certainly 'watch my step' in future when going up the wooden hill! :mrgreen:

Thankfully my knees are slowly returning to normal (Normal that is for metal joints!)

John

Strange how most falls seem to be going up rather than down stairs. :lol:

Modern knee joints are much better than they used to be but though my knees are well worn I'll be putting it off as long as is physically possible.
At the minute I can get round the golf course with the aid of Voltorol gel and a knee brace, I can put up with the aches afterwards but the crunch will come when I can't play 18 anymore.
My mate is coming up 85 and still plays to a reasonable standard though his sight is poor and he needs me to spot the ball, ( if he's winning I can just pretend it's lost. :wink: ). There's an ex pro footballer I've met at another club who has serious tunnel vision and registered blind - he plays golf with his guide dog alongside.

I think physically with joint problems you can overcome most things however challenging one way or another, it's mental issues that stuff you up, when you lose memory and the ability to reason and think straight you lose the will to live and just fade away. Have seen it so many times and it's the only thing that scares me.

Take care marra
Bob

So true Lons.

Well I did get my local council to fit a toilet seat attachment; so I can get back up much easier. Much cheaper than a higher, replacement 'throne'! :lol:

It wasn't climbing the stairs that was my 'downfall'. It was the stair-lift problem.
I was just getting into the seat, when a weld on the rails gave way, and pitched me forwards into the balustrade; banging my knees painfully against the solid wall. I was stuck for a few minutes trying to get out of the seat without actually falling. I failed! But I have had everything repaired except my pride, and the swelling has subsided.

I don't play golf Bob, but some years ago I had a birthday treat at a golf range. I enjoyed it. I had a half hour coaching from the pro, and experienced the great feeling when I got into a rhythm and found the 'sweet spot'! I couldn't afford both golf and woodwork at the time, even if the Pro did tell me I had a natural swing! I suspect he was buttering me up!

Same thing with clay pigeon shooting. Only done that once, and the only things I missed that day were the rolling clays. I'd never do well shooting rabbits!

I wish I could walk far enough to play a nine, let alone eighteen, or walk around a shooting range. With the money I've spent on woodwork over the years I could have bought a nice over and under shotgun, and a set of golf clubs. But there you go. I need exercise so I walk to the shops! :lol:

John

John

Hello again John, long time no talky; sorry to read of your troubles. I remember all too clearly paper-pushers dealing with my mother's Parkinson's. They do not exactly go out of their way to respect the sufferer and you'd think it was THEIR money and you were trying to steal it.
I've got second-row-forward's knees but it still came as shock last month to be told that I'd be setting off airport metal detectors sometime soon! Understand somewhat your mobility issues and I'm glad I moved to a bungalow.
Keep safe and I hope you can stay active and fulfilled at some woodworking for ages yet.
Sam

Thanks Sam:

Yes, it's Parkinson's and Dementia that Jean has. I looked after her for almost six years; four of them on my jack. Then the local Council were 'kind' enough to provide some carers four times daily. Until Jean went off her legs 30 months ago. That was when the Council lost interest; except to covet our house. They said she would have to go into care, as they won't provide two carers a visit. I wasn't allowed to help the carers either!

It all happened so fast; from compos mentis to this, too quick to think about power of attorney, or Courts of Justice. Also it's too late to think of moving to a bungalow. The house is done for, as far as my children are concerned, and occasionally I wonder what I worked for, over 45 years. Maybe I should have fathered a rugby team of ankle biters, and lived off the treacle-stick! Still not to worry, I can care for myself, and still visit my Lady. :D Actually I would have liked a couple more children; a bigger family might have meant helpers in the shop! But I could never have afforded them, so luckily I didn't have that problem.

Cheers again Sam

John

My mates often say I don't really "play" golf John, just a long walk with some erratic arm swinging and a lot of swearing. :lol:

:D And of course it's too serious to be a game you just play!

When I was training with my Police Dog, we used the nearby golf course for exercises. Often earned a few bob getting our dogs to find lost balls! :mrgreen:

I would like to say a very special thank you to John for his kindness.

It was great to meet you. I wish you a healthy and prosperous life.

Looking forward for the 100th birthday.

Regards

Wish I could get our lab to find golf balls, the times my missus has walked part of the course with me the only ball the mutt wants to get is the one I've just hit up the middle of the fairway.

Great with footballs though, she spent a determined 20 minutes on a caravan site last year getting to the back of a 6 ft deep thorn hedge and emerged with a professional grade football. Far too good to chew up but she wasn't happy when I took it off her and gave her and old one. :wink:

Piece of cake Lons; to teach a Labrador to find stuff. German Shepherd is my No. 1, but I do like Labradors, and they're quite easy to train overall. :)

John

SMALMALEKI":2vnyppir said:
I would like to say a very special thank you to John for his kindness.

It was great to meet you. I wish you a healthy and prosperous life.

Looking forward for the 100th birthday.

Regards

Thank you Saeid; The feelings are mutual; and have no fear, I am determined to get that 'Royal Recognition'! :lol:

I hope the gear serves you well.

John (hammer)

Saeid,

I don't think the private message system is working properly.
I replied to yours two or three days ago, and my message is still in my outbox.

Re your kind invite...
Yes I would be delighted to meet, and quaff a few! Well I shall have some, as I won't be driving!

John (hammer)

Benchwayze":7wu7ifc6 said:
Saeid,

I don't think the private message system is working properly.
I replied to yours two or three days ago, and my message is still in my outbox.

Re your kind invite...
Yes I would be delighted to meet, and quaff a few! Well I shall have some, as I won't be driving!

John (hammer)

Hi john
That’s excellent. I shall send you the time and address.

I look forward to seeing you.

Regards

Saeid

Hi John

I just finished the Moxon Vise today. Thank you for your kindness.

Attachments

• 85264CEC-B629-450C-BB52-D30BEA0F5046.jpeg
    85264CEC-B629-450C-BB52-D30BEA0F5046.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 290
There you go. Nice job Saeid. It went to the right place! I hope you get loads of good service from it.

Regards to you and yours

John

Back