I am enthusiasthic.........

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

With my first treatment attempt of birch, I was unnerved, because the fiber direction "roller coaster" drives in my boards.

Already when straightening the board I have large tearouts. Also smoothening was troubles. With my Infills it went was to some extent however no pleasure, I had to pay great attention to the grain direction......

So I took for the first time my new scarperplane from Veritas. First went into the kitchen to sharpen the blade (better the scaper blade) at the mirror side and chamfers to sharpen and then in the vice with a pulling rod to make the burr. As I have experiences with scraper it was not a problem.

Adjusting of the blade in the plane became simple. Putting on a board the scraper blade into the plane , until it down on the wood stands, thigten the blade and then carefully adjusting the inclination mechanism, until the blade "scrapes".

I worked with drawing blades, and her to already often estimate learned, but which now came, inspired me nevertheless:

More pics:
http://translate.google.com/transla...=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

P8020547.jpg

Regards
Rolf

Rolf,
The new scarperplane sounds brilliant! Difficult timbers often embarrass the finest of planes. I have a Gordon smoother with the blade at 60 degrees-this one cuts where other tear out. As you are such a wizz at designing/making planes how about designing one with a 60 degree bed?
regards
Philly :D

Rolf,

Very nice. 8) The Veritas scraper makes tear out almost a pleasant experience doesn't it? "Oh good, time to use the scraper :D " I've been trying the high angle blade in their low angle jack with some pretty unexpected results; I expected much less from it than I got! My only trouble is not enough "exciting" wood to try out - obviously a bit of birch would be just the thing. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Not moved to the Hand Tools board just yet in a bid to tip some more Normites over the edge... :twisted:

As i just finished 2 "Gittertüren"
http://www.hobel-und-eisen.de/holz/Gittertueren/bau_gittertuer.htm
P7300535.JPG

my next projekt is a bed for my little daughter. It will be an recycling project, as I have some parts of an old bed from my grandparents...
The bed sould be later modified into an "sofa" for childs
I will later post an report.

An 60° smoother will be worth to think about. at the moment It would be easier to grind an mircofase of 40° at an blade and attached this blade to one of my blockplanes. you can see it on the picture above.
My current plane project is an rabbetplane:
Einhandsimshobel3b.jpg

regards
Rolf

Back