I’ve heard of inflation but this is ridiculous.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the beginning it was, but the reality of the situation soon became apparent and everything since then has been government created fear and hysteria, no need for it and we will all suffer because of it. I don't blame the companies, I blame the government and those who supported them.
please avoid dragging another thread down with your agenda.

please avoid dragging another thread down with your agenda.
You Sir, need the ignore button!

When they changed the machinery directive requiring captive fasteners on removable panels, everywhere had sold out of captive screws, 1/4 turns the lot, so we had a machine shop make them custom. It’s just supply and demand, it’ll adjust to the need and then we will be back to “normal”. In the meantime, expect weirdness.
Aidan

Expect to see another hike in everything when the brexit transition is complete and we lose the benefits of being aligned with the EU trading block. What we're already seeing in price rises is part of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The price rises are happening in all areas on everything we buy. Weekly groceries are costing more. This is because to pay out £billions the Government are printing money. Each time you increase the £££ in circulation you decrease it's value. So we're lowering the value of the £ on the world market.

Seriously? Quantity of Money Theory?

People say that they 'know' that there is some direct, linear relationship between the credit or net money supply and

a) the general price level

and

b) foreign exchange rates

In fact, no such relationship exists, or has ever existed, in any mathematical form.

In fact, what we see from comparison charts is that even within the range of substantial movements in monetary aggregates, no such relationship can be identified, or even whether the effect is positive or negative.

The reality is that other factors (bank credit) completely swamp a 'money supply' factor.

If money supply could control inflation every central bank would have a money supply target.

None have.

Those that briefly tried (the Fed & the BOE) failed spectacularly.

Seriously? Quantity of Money Theory?

People say that they 'know' that there is some direct, linear relationship between the credit or net money supply and

a) the general price level

and

b) foreign exchange rates

In fact, no such relationship exists, or has ever existed, in any mathematical form.

In fact, what we see from comparison charts is that even within the range of substantial movements in monetary aggregates, no such relationship can be identified, or even whether the effect is positive or negative.

The reality is that other factors (bank credit) completely swamp a 'money supply' factor.

If money supply could control inflation every central bank would have a money supply target.

None have.

Those that briefly tried (the Fed & the BOE) failed spectacularly.
Interesting. So, in order to pay for all goods and services etc. why do governments tax the people? Why not simply print the money they need? It would make them more sure of re-election.

Interesting. So, in order to pay for all goods and services etc. why do governments tax the people? Why not simply print the money they need? It would make them more sure of re-election.
Not exactly the same thing is it?

Have to agree with evildrome in that quantity of money theory, whilst kinda valid in some circumstances, is dependent on a lot of assumptions to work out in the long run. Value for one is not a constant which kicks the whole thing into touch.

Don't feel too hard done by lads and laddettes. I still buy most of my tools from the UK and ship them to Australia as it is cheaper than buying them here. All the convicts you blokes sent here are now running tool shops. Cheers

Don't feel too hard done by lads and laddettes. I still buy most of my tools from the UK and ship them to Australia as it is cheaper than buying them here. All the convicts you blokes sent here are now running tool shops. Cheers
They jsut want danger money for all the snakes, spiders and drop bears they have to deal with in the warehosues

Haha, that's a good point. Part of the problem is that the warehouses are mostly empty due to Covid. The evil natives can see you coming.
Yeah, its the same everywhere at the moment. I've been looking for a new 240v domino for over a month and nobody has any. Apparently it looks like November is when they'll be back in stock.

It's crazy times that's for sure. I bought my Domino 700 in late '18. I bought it from Amazon UK for $185 less than they were selling for here in Aust, and that price included shipping. I bought my other Festool kit from Italy for similar savings. I think Festool have dropped the weights on them selling to Aust now as all the foreign Festool dealers have disappeared from ebay here.

funnily enough for a while a UKs DIY chain "Homebase" was bought by Bunnings, so we started seeing Australian branded stuff.....it didnt last long, Bunnings threw a load of money at it and failed miserably and gave it away for nothing.

I went in there a few times hoping they would have a fantastic BBQ section......but they stocked the same Chinese garbage as the rest of the diy chains

I'm a little surprised Homebase has survived in all honesty. They only jsut got back to profitability in 2019 and then Covid has hit. They mgiht have done ok as everyone has been doing improvements.

Latest posts

Back