Hypoid / Wormdrive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nev Hallam

Established Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Makita 5377MG Hypoid 7 1/4" saw. My brother lives in California. I have it sent over, yes I pay the vat plus the 1% but I still think its worth it. I've ordered quite a few tools from him over the years. What I want to know is why on earth can't you get wormdrive or hypoid saws over here? I been using the Skill mag 77 wormdrive, it's the most robust power tool I've come across, been soaked jousting more times than I remember! No one imports them more sells them. Howcome?

This seller is advertising the saw on eBay UK despite the fact that he appears to sell only to USA - yet digging in his listing he says charges VAT to multiple countries. I think he may well ship to UK - at a price!

I fluked a skil wormdrive saw from ebay, listed as a disc cutter, about a year ago. I knew what it was as soon as I saw the picture. You are right; it is a great tool. Built like a tank and will cut full depth thru oak (or stone, as the previous owner would testify).
Funny, because mine is much quieter than a normal saw (ie Festool, Hilti etc) and yet more powerful. I wonder why we don't get 'em? De Walt also have a current model which looks OK too, and of course Skil also make them.
I would be interested in acquiring another one if they became available, although I only paid 12 quid for mine, so it may be out of my price range.

I thought I was the only fella around with one!!!

Neil

12 quid!! Bargain, I have a thing called a prazi beam cutter which fits in place of the blade, it's like a chain saw you can cut to a depth of 300mm! The other useful thing with the mag 77 is the balance, I cut rafters off but its perfectly balanced so its almost like a plumb bob! Love to know why we can't buy em here.

I don't know why so many tools are available in the US which aren't here. I'm going to buy a wormdrive saw the next time I'm over in the US.

Nev - I've read some bad reviews about the Prazi Beam Cutter so how do you rate it?

Mark

jimi43":2yu6vl25 said:
A quick Google will give you quite a few options available in the UK for around £100 up.

Jim

any links? ive been looking on ebay for a while now for a wormdrive with no joy

speed":2vbppkrd said:
jimi43":2vbppkrd said:
A quick Google will give you quite a few options available in the UK for around £100 up.
Jim

... I put an eBay link on in this thread yesterday.

chunkolini":2l9i9ykm said:
What is a worm drive saw?
A new one on me.

DWS535.jpg
DeWALT-DWS535-Rafter-Hook.jpg

mark aspin":1y5n1dhm said:
I don't know why so many tools are available in the US which aren't here. I'm going to buy a wormdrive saw the next time I'm over in the US.

Nev - I've read some bad reviews about the Prazi Beam Cutter so how do you rate it?

Mark

My opinion of the prazi beam cutter is this: I think in principal it's a good idea, however it's basically a chainsaw adaption for your circular saw, thus bloody dangerous! As its 12" deep if you tilt your saw at any angle away from you the blade protrudes toward your legs or body. Your saws designed for a circular blade not a chain saw one. I think if you have use for a prazi beam cutter your better off with a chain saw. That said I have used it a couple of times on tradition joists sets.
By no means a must have tool!
In my opinion.

For those who don't know too much about wormdrive or hypoid saws, i read this thread in another forum which goes into more detail on the gearing systems used in these saws and the benefits of having one.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... w-question

speed":2f6nfoyy said:
jimi43":2f6nfoyy said:

Jim

WORM DRIVE SAWS CLICKITY CLICK

They are probably all US imports though since they appear to be 120VAC models. You will need a site transformer...no big thing...a tenner at most at a bootfair near you. :wink:

Jim

That seller is American, those prices are just displayed in £'s as he'll ship here.

The other thing i noticed is the skill mag saw has a diamond bore to stop any blade slip due to the extra power, yet the supposed more powerful hypoid just has regular round 5/8 harbour!

Amazon ship the Dewalt wormdrive saw from the US for about £28 (total is around £190-something I think)

I suppose the 5/8" arbour gives more options regarding the types of blade available for use with the saw.

Nev

I've been looking at these for a while now with the intention of buying one the next time I'm over in the US. Why did you choose the Makita over the other brands (Dewalt, Skil, Ridgid etc?)

Cheers,
Mark

Ok to be fair I have since been doing some more research, well reading. I was sold on the Makita Hypoid as it seemed to offer what the others didn't but it reading reviews it seems no one has had any issues with the gearing system used in wormdrive saws, they are all quoted as be indestructible, Makita introducing the Hypoid has altered the type of gear used and sealed it all in a vat of oil, whereas the Wormdrives have changeable oil. The argument is this: if you did want to get into the nitty gritty of the system the oil in the sealed unit would eventually break down, whereas in a wormdrive you can always replace it. This said as no one seems to have any issues with either of the systems, and Ii'm guessing it would take a hell of a long time before the oil in a Hypoid disappears! I feel its going to come down to nothing but personal preference.

I'd base my opinion on weight, power, comfort in use, visibility of cutting line, from what I've read the Dewalt and Bosch are just as good, some would say better.
I think it would be difficult to have a proper review as they don't sell these saws over here, thus we're left reading septic ones!

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry ... 2&artnum=1

Hi I have looked in to worm drives and I want one but as you know U S A is the only place you can get one not to worried about cost but the diffrance in the power supply to the states if you have one do they work here in the Uk
Regards Dave

Back