Hybrid Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaius

Reaction score
Since off-the-shelf machine (router+saw) tables either don't have a good fence/guiding system, or are extremely expensive, on another thread I was told that I would be better off building my own.

Since I have a steel structure used for pallet stacking and such, I'll adapt that to build the frame. Once assembled it looks like this:

frame.gif

It's all steel (1.5mm thick sheet), hence the "hybrid" designation - and each level is rated for loads of up to 500kg. With the available parts, I can make one which is 450mm, 600mm or 700mm wide by 1200mm, 1500mm or 1800mm long - every combination is possible.

Then for the worktop, is 30mm MDF a good material? Raw/sealed or melamine faced?
The worktop would have 100mm overhang on all sides.

My main problem is how to adapt the circular saw and router to make them work like a proper table saw and router.

Here's a first iteration:

worktop.gif

grey is for the T-tracks in which a fence (cyan) would slide. Blue is for the mitre gauge with its slide in green.
The router hole is in red and the saw in yellow.

I would add more stuff to the bench, like holes for further clamping options, definitely some type of track/rail on the sides (like the one on the Festool MFT 3) to allow clamping of long pieces vertically for planing and sanding, etc.
But first, the priority is to get the basics right: saw/router support and adjustment, fence for squaring and mitre gauge.

My questions are as follows:

1-is the overall layout sensible?

2-I found "Dakota" t-tracks on the rutlands website. It looks like it's good stuff (so does the shop?). Is this diy fence system a good option to ensure precision and square cuts, or are there ready-made, reasonably priced alternatives that would fit in this table (e.g. akin to the Incra LS system, but cheaper)?
If not, and Incra is the way to go, where should one buy Incra stuff from? The US prices don't seem that bad, but once you add customs tax, vat, international shipping... The UK prices seem to be direct $->£ and then some.

3-Same for the mitre gauge - using say an Incra V27 and a t-track.

4-most importantly, are there ready-made table inserts to allow table mounting of routers and circular saws? The reason for wanting a ready-made one instead of just screwing the base plates on is to allow easy access to the machines for blade and cutter changes, depth adjustment, blade angle changes and fine-tuning.
For routers I found a Triton RTA300 and a Trend router insert. Are these the only two options?
I can't find anything similar for circular saws.

Your input is very welcome and valued.

cheers,
Ze

Attachments

• frame.gif
    frame.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 814
  • worktop.gif
    worktop.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 810
Can't answer all of this (no experience with Incra) but I'd say stiffen the mdf (battens under) as it is oddly soggy stuff. I use the Dakota 3/4 T track on my router table and i think it is excellent - and good value when they have a deal on (quite often these days!).

I think with that fence set-up you would be spending time adjusting the parallel every time you moved your fence and get quickly frustrated. A lot of people on here have retro fitted different off the shelf fence systems and there are quite a few threads to look at.

Another way that I used with my old cheapo t/s fitted into a bench was to have my fence [faced 4" angle iron] attached at either end to a pair of identical links which were in turn pinned to the bench. The fence/link assembly formed a parallelogram which kept it parallel at all times. The important thing was that fence had to be on the trailing edge of the parallelogram so that if it did happen to move it moved away from the blade not toward it.

P1050324k.jpg

The pivots need to be stiff and it may look crude, it's certainly not as good as an expensive bought one with scale and fine adjustment, but it does work.

Attachments

• P1050324k.jpg
    P1050324k.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 810
Back