Hybrid helmet designs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

these are two of a series of helmets/mask's that i've been working on recently

they are not meant to be a direct copy of any historical helmet, I have taken idea's from several sources- films, games. history etc

white mallee burr 3"x 4"
P1210123_zpsfb30dd56.jpg

P1210139_zps2679edaa.jpg

burr elm 3"x 4"
P1210151_zps28128b22.jpg

P1210145_zpsa92797b4.jpg

P1210164_zps6e041bd2.jpg

Really smart, I always look forward to seeing your hybrid projects, must cost a small fortune in resin.

Very inspiring cornucopia, I plan to have a dabble with resins at some stage.

Thanks for sharing =D> =D>

Excellent innovation on the design front George, the sharp edge detail sets them a notch above on the finishing front.

Fantastic, I really like those, awesome idea & somewhat outside of the box as they say!. Very impressed indeed!.

Really nice effect! What exactly is the resin you are using? it gives the same sort of effect as many of the more expensive acrylic pen blank sets that I've seen, and obviously takes a very nice finish. I'd love to be able to cast parts for projects directly from that sort of stuff.

To get such a perfect gloss finish, did you do the modern usual steps of micro-mesh followed by burnishing cream or something? Or would that make some trouble at the site where the two materials meet?

Very awesome indeed, would love to know more about your technique.

Nic.

thank you for all of your kind comments

Nicguthrie: I cant go into too much detail as selling/casting blanks is part of how I make my living- to finish I dry sand to 600 grit then using three types of mops and compound to buff the item to the finish you see.

They are cool........... might you be able to share how they are made? never seen anything like this before and 'little' items like this are right up my street!!!

Nice nod to Andrew Halls Leonidas helmet there, we did these in a workshop with him a few years ago after the IWG seminar in Armagh,

Love the hybrid version though !

CraigyCraigo":32sdhr5y said:
Does anyone no of any plans or WIP's on how these are made? I pic of the back would probably help also.

Cheers

Craig

I have submitted this idea to some magazines and so cant go into too much deatil as they will then refuse to publish the article and I wont get paid.
All I can say is that its a simple turned shape that is then cut & sanded off the lathe.
If my submission is succusfull you will hopefully be able to see a full WIP in print soon but for now i'd prefer it if you didnt ask anymore questions...at least not on this thread.

Back