Hybrid helmet designs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cornucopia":1r6v1fse said:
CraigyCraigo":1r6v1fse said:
Does anyone no of any plans or WIP's on how these are made? I pic of the back would probably help also.

Cheers

Craig

I have submitted this idea to some magazines and so cant go into too much deatil as they will then refuse to publish the article and I wont get paid.
All I can say is that its a simple turned shape that is then cut & sanded off the lathe.
If my submission is succusfull you will hopefully be able to see a full WIP in print soon but for now i'd prefer it if you didnt ask anymore questions...at least not on this thread.

Fully Understood, No Problem! It would be nice to see it published and if it is could you give us a heads up on here on which mag it shall be in???

CraigyCraigo":2oaof6o2 said:
cornucopia":2oaof6o2 said:
CraigyCraigo":2oaof6o2 said:
Does anyone no of any plans or WIP's on how these are made? I pic of the back would probably help also.

Cheers

Craig

I have submitted this idea to some magazines and so cant go into too much deatil as they will then refuse to publish the article and I wont get paid.
All I can say is that its a simple turned shape that is then cut & sanded off the lathe.
If my submission is succusfull you will hopefully be able to see a full WIP in print soon but for now i'd prefer it if you didnt ask anymore questions...at least not on this thread.

Fully Understood, No Problem! It would be nice to see it published and if it is could you give us a heads up on here on which mag it shall be in???

o.k- i'll drop you a pm and let you know once I know

Hi George,
You've made a fabulous job of these, what made you want to have a go at these as they're not what you'd call "the norm". (Or have I just answered my own question)

Dave

thank you for your comments

the original idea was sparked when I was watching fraiser on TV, there is a helmet on a shelf near his kitchen doorway, you only see it for a second and i don’t know if it’s made of pot or metal but I liked the look of it and was fairly sure I could make something similar.
I made a prototype in wood to make sure i had the proportions right then I made these two and I’ve since made a dozen or so more each time tweaking the design adding gold leaf, texture, metal etc and each time taking an influence from another source and adding it to this shape, for example I’ve just tried one with the eye shape of Boba fett from star wars and another with the mouth cut-out shape from the orc's helmets in lord of the rings

Stunning design awesome Finish Like the Idea never seen it before myself very impressed indeed =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Hi George

Lovely work I like the amalgamation of wood and resin works well. The first wooden helmets date back to the 1st century BC although there is little evidence of them any more compared to the later metal ones for obvious reasons. I wonder if they turned them on fixed head or swivel head lathes. :)

Keep up the good work.

Back