HVLP, system or compressor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertoA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have always been a little... hesitant to spray for a number of reasons, first of all being the mess of overspraying.

I already own a 3 hp 50 litres compressor, so on the lower part of the accessibility to spraying and a couple of mid priced HVLP guns (if you can consider 43 PSI as low pressure) but my past experiences with this combination were not so good, except that with nitrocellulose varnish, but that is easier than other tasks (mat non gloss). Portability is another issue, moving a 50-60 kgs compressor from inside to outside of the shop where I will be spraying is not easy...

Do you think a turbine system could solve part of my problems. Here in Italy turbines are regarded as a lower quality option, but I think the reason is that the demand is for low priced ones.

If you think they are, my interest was in the Earlex 5000 that I see highly rated entry-mid level in this forum for the 2 stage turbine segment.
Would the step forward (looking at Apollo 1500 for example) a jump in quality of the results? "Rating" is not an issue... a "hobby" rated would be enough for the use I make of it, but for not-so-good results I am already equipped!
Apollo 1500 or Fuji Mini Mite 3X in this 3 stage class?
I will be spraying water based enamels (not primers...), with DIN viscosity around 90 (to be diluted), nitrocellulose for as long as it will be available and possibly dyes and oil finishes if it will be so good that I will use that instead of a brush.

Thanks for your advice.
Alberto

Difficult to answer as you have experience with HVLP guns but don't like them :)

I've never used a HVLP gun designed to run from a compressor so I can not compare. I have used conventional high pressure spray and a Fuji Q3 HVLP system.

The amount of air the fuji turbine puts out is huge and there is no way a compressor could deliver that much air at any pressure. The air from the turbine is also hot not cold like a compressor and that help the paint flow too.

The gun on the Q3 has a paint cup that is fed with air from the turbine so it is pressurised. That helps it deliver paint that is thicker than you can spray with conventional high pressure spray kit with gravity or suction feed.

There are quite a few members here with the Earlex system and they seem to like it. I like the Fuji but would like better fan control on the gun - which the new versions seem to have now.

Thanks, this was helpful, the cold air is an issue, even with a filter because of a too long hose (portability) I had water dropping from the gun...
Today at lunch time I went to see the "Rigo" turbine, the shop only had the TMR80 that is a 2 stage, price more or less the same as the Earlex shipped in Italy... It has a regulator for the airflow on the motor that should be a nice feature with air from 500 to 1800 l/min with pressures 0,05 to 0,21...
On the other side the fan is not adjustable for "spot". Also prices for nozzles are LOW, he said you can change it with a few euro (fewer pounds :lol: ).

Model above is a 3 stage, price is almost double (300 euro plus VAT), pressure is much greater, reaching the 0,32 (the Apollo is declared for 0,18, so I am guessing the usefulness of such a high pressure if not for "special" wall products).

Now the question is... would a 3 stage do better than a 2 or it is simply a matter of being able to use thicker paints or faster rates?
Thanks,
Alberto

You don't want water in the airline when spraying that is for sure :)

Make sure the tank on the compressor is drained every day when you use it. A filter/regulator/trap not far from the spray end will help too

Like this -

000210070.jpg

Back to HVLP....More air flow and pressure lets you spray faster. My Q3 was spraying paint faster than I could cope with at first so I was adjusting the needle to less than maximum. Once I got used to it I wanted to spray faster than it could deliver so I can see the Q4 being better.

They all do the job. Less power just means you spray thinner and/or slower I would think. Have you looked for used units? You could sell it again with little loss and find out what you do or don't like about it.

Thanks again Robert for your reply, I had the filter mounted... maybe it was warm summer (spraying in the evening with 33-34°C) that can is low in relative humidity but very high in total humidity, so temperature changes would "produce" a lot of water, but it's a little waste to squeeze air and then unpack it in the pistol... that's why 3 hp to have much less airflow!

Maybe the 2 stage is the best compromise for me, it is the most sold model also for professionals who use it with wall paints, there are even 3 mm nozzles available for paint with solids... I guess for those you truly need the 3 stage!
I will be using it just for wood, varnish, laquers and paint... and save 100£!

Alberto

I've got the Q4 and I am very pleased with it, I have two guns, a gravity feed and a suction pot. The gravity feed gun is by far the best for my needs as I am mainly spraying horizontal surfaces, both of my guns are the newer type and the fan is great and can be adjusted from about 4" to 14".
Although the air isn't adjustable you can turn it down a bit if required by just cracking the valve on the end of the air line which isn't ideal but does work.
Robert have you tried using a larger needle to get more paint on the job, I use two sizes 1.4 and 1.8 (I think from memory) with the larger needles you can really pile it on, I guess this would be the same with the Q3.
Anyone who wants to have a go with mine is welcome.

I only have the 1.4 it came with. I bought the kit used and I'm not sure if current jets are the right model. The fan control is pretty useless so I'm reluctant to spend more money on it.

I have been looking at the new fuji gun at about £170 and think I could be tempted if I get involved in major spraying again.

AlbertoA - do let us know how you get on with turbine HVLP :)

Alberto
I've recently gone from using HVLP guns (cheap and an expensive SATA one) off a SIP 50L 3HP compressor to an Earlex HV5000 - wish I'd done it sooner!
I've only sprayed water based lacquer (Chestnut)and pre-cat nc lacquer (Chestnut Melamine lacquer) and the results are pretty good - much better than the conversion setup. All the info I'd read (especially US based) said to go for the compressor driven HVLP route - but really wish I'd gone the turbine route before - far fewer variables and portable. The suction cup is a little more clumsy and there are no controls on air as such which is a problem spraying inside cabinets but a small price to pay for ease of use.
Having said all that I've got no idea whether it'll work with what you plan to spray - if you check the Earlex website you may be better off with the model one up from the HV5000 (7000?).
Cheers
Gidon

Air flow control on the fuji is a plastic 'gas tap' at the gun to hose joint. It is a crude way to reduce the air flow but it does work. Anyway to fit something similar to the earlex?

Doesn't come with anything but guess you could make a modification. It does suggest uncscrewing the nozzle to reduce air but doesn't do that much in my experience.
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks... I was already convinced and you convinced me even more! Well... also made my wallet shut up because it was already upset :lol:
I have, more or less the same compressor... and the cheap gun (around 50£ off ebay.it with all the nozzles, although Rutlands is selling the same for 99£ :roll: ).
True, the gun is pretty basic, but I am not sure it is a bad thing... Too many nozzles to deal with is easy to take the wrong setup...
In these the airflow can be controlled, it is nothing but a simple potentiometer, so maybe could you set up yours with one too depending on the motor?
I will let you know which of the two I buy, probably with a gravity fed gun (with pressurized tank).
Alberto

Back