HVLP enquiry.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have an ordinary compressor and spray gun. What do I need for an HVLP system?

I have tried searching, but I can't find any information saying wether I have to replace some, or all of my equipment.

Any advice gratefully received.

ATB Gary.

Hi Gary

From what I remember of spray equipment, you'll need to change all of your kit!
The compressor will be replaced by a turbine unit, the hose by one with a larger bore and the gun by a special HVLP type.
Makes me wonder why you want to change at all!?

Terry

Thanks for your reply Terry.

I have heard how good the HVLP system is concerning air pollution, also economy. If I have to change everything I don't think I will bother. Perhaps when I can afford it I will change as they are supposed to be better.

ATB Gary.

It is possible to get HVLP guns that are made to work off standard compressors but unless you have a very large compressor it will not cope with the volume ie it will run nonstop & eventually overheat.

Jason

Gary,
You do NOT need to change all your kit!

There are many HVLP guns now available for standard compressors - I have a few. When HVLP was first introduced they were all turbine units but as most industrial users had plumbed-in air supplies, manufacturers soon brought out what they called Conversion guns. These days, I don't think many people bother with that designation.

You can get HVLP guns suitable for standard compressed air from Machine Mart at the cheaper end to DeVilbiss and Sata at the top end.

"Pure" HVLP needs a lot of air and can be demanding of a small compressor - a big tank helps even if the continuous rating is not great. An intermediate solution that Sata make is RP(Reduced Pressure) that is almost the same spec as HVLP but handles more like a conventional gun. I have one of these and it's great. It uses less air than the standard HVLP guns so is better suited to a small compressor setup but the gun is expensive.

You cannot use guns designed for turbines with compressors nor vice versa.

My compressor is a 3HP unit with a 50 litre cylinder and 9cfm rating and I have happily sprayed furniture the size of large wardrobes.

My apologies, I stand corrected!

That'll teach me to post about something when my information is out of date!

Sorry all!

Hi Gary,

Another slight update, not all the HVLP guns need masses of air to make them work, the newish Sata Minijet 3 and 4 models both run happily on just over 3cfm. These are gravity fed guns and have a fan width of up to 12" so they compare with most guns on the market.

There is a lot less overspray with the HVLP system and the pressure at the nozzle is as low as 10 psi. When I started making thin walled vessels the first one took me ages to make, I coloured it and when I came to spray it with a conventional spraygun the air pressure blew it onto the floor, hence my change to HVLP.

The guns are not cheap but they are very good for what they're intended for.

Regards....CC

I would like to thank everyone for their input.

There seems to be a bit of info to mull over. Perhaps at the moment I shall stick to what I've got. Maybe when I have some readies, and a workshop I'll change over.

Thank you all again.

ATB Gary.

Latest posts

Back