'Hutchens Patent' Mitre shoot board / plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":3bm9o6ww said:
glnnsmokey":3bm9o6ww said:
Hi,
I have just found a Hutchens's Mitre shooter, and if this will help, mine has a plaque on it.

Has some damn great warehouse full of these things just been tipped out onto the streets when I wasn't looking?

BugBear
:lol: =D> :lol: =D>

Yeah, they waited until your back was turned, BB.
"Has he gone?"
"Not yet. Tell you what, I'll go and distract him with a bowsaw while you shift the goods..."
:lol:

glnnsmokey":vpcv1p3z said:
Hi,
I have just found a Hutchens's Mitre shooter, and if this will help, mine has a plaque on it.
It reads ;
Hutchen's Patent Mitre Shooter
"ECLIPSE"
No: 1700 (number stamped manually on the plaque)
SOLE MAKERS
N.Holman & Sons, St.Just.Penzance.
Hope this sheds some light,
regards,
G

This is very interesting, thank you!

I just acquired one of these tools in partially incomplete and damaged condition. One of the blades is missing together with it's clamping piece and knurled knob which locks it tight. Also one of the depth adjusters has sheared a section of it's perimeter where the blade fits in to adjust the depth. Lastly the long bar with counter weight is missing. Does anyone have the bar who could let me have detailed dimensions of it all in order to give me a chance of reproducing one as near as possible to the original. I will try to get someone to copy the cast piece which holds down the blade and there are a spare pair of blades present so no problem on that issue. Mine also has the brass plaque with same details as previously posted. The number stamped on it is 1850. The tool came from a former gilder and frame maker here in Leeds who passed away recently in his 90's, together with a few of his agate burnishers and old books of leaf and gilding brushes which all look to have been in use since the early part of last century.
Dave Brown, Leeds.

I know this is an old thread, but I just received this information from someone that is part of the family.

Hutchens Patent Mitre shooting board
While researching my family history I discovered one of my ancestors by marriage invented this item. Googling it brought me to your website where a number of your members were looking for details. I can clarify that it was invented by William Hutchens carpenter and undertaker in Penzance and for it he received the silver medal from the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society in 1890. He died in 1929. As much as woodworking is interesting I didn't want to become a member to pass this on personally so can you pass this on to them for me. Thank you.

Back