Husky total socket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a great fan of adjustable spanners but you do need them occasionally. With an adjustable, you get a snug full face fit on 2 opposite faces. Just from the pictures, the Husky looks like it won't fit any faces snugly, just the corners, so might not be better. Also might be little use with slim or half nuts.

Never used one though, so others might have different views.

I am not a believer in one tool does all because what you get is something that does more but nothing well. You cannot beat a good fitting socket or spanner because it saves knuckles and does not damage the fastener, it is at the point you have rounded off a fastener that you will give a tool like that flying lessons because it could have made a five minute job a lot longer.

Cheap yes, but many weaknesses.

Adjustable wrenches are at a disadvantage from the outset because of play and slop in their mechanisms. But there are many times that they are either super convenient or the only practical tool to do a job.

I have two favorites I would recommend to you over any others :

A short handled Bahco with extra wide jaws. Marketed towards plumbers who need to work on quite large fittings but not over tightening them. It is insanely useful whether you choose a 6 or 8" handle
1645046884062.png

The other standout tool is this :
https://www.knipex.com/products/pip...wrenchespliers-and-wrench-single-tool/8603180
1645046685264.png

Very expensive slip joint pliers, made in several sizes and different grips, but the squeeze that you apply to the handles is amplified 10+ times by leverage and ensures that the (always parallel) flat jaws remain firmly locked to the nut, don't stretch, slip and round over the corners.

Cheers

I'm not a great fan of adjustable spanners but you do need them occasionally. With an adjustable, you get a snug full face fit on 2 opposite faces. Just from the pictures, the Husky looks like it won't fit any faces snugly, just the corners, so might not be better. Also might be little use with slim or half nuts.

I'd think it would get a good grip on 4 faces??

I'll get one tomorrow and try it!

Once had a problem removing the dip tube on an VW automatic gearbox nothing I had could grip the nut without causing damage purchased a Stanley self adjusting wrench and that was the tool that got it moving.

Attachments

• F3814414-01.jpg
    F3814414-01.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 9

It seems to have been designed in the "Flank drive" style, which moves the contact points from the corners, to the near-centre of the hexagon.

Cheap yes, but many weaknesses.

Adjustable wrenches are at a disadvantage from the outset because of play and slop in their mechanisms. But there are many times that they are either super convenient or the only practical tool to do a job.

I have two favorites I would recommend to you over any others :

A short handled Bahco with extra wide jaws. Marketed towards plumbers who need to work on quite large fittings but not over tightening them. It is insanely useful whether you choose a 6 or 8" handle
View attachment 129583
The other standout tool is this :
https://www.knipex.com/products/pip...wrenchespliers-and-wrench-single-tool/8603180View attachment 129581
Very expensive slip joint pliers, made in several sizes and different grips, but the squeeze that you apply to the handles is amplified 10+ times by leverage and ensures that the (always parallel) flat jaws remain firmly locked to the nut, don't stretch, slip and round over the corners.

Cheers

I have a couple of pairs of these and I cannot praise them enough, yes they are expensive BUT I guarantee you will never use adjustable spanner's again. I have the 180mm and the 300mm and they have so far covered everything I have needed to do.

I have a couple of pairs of these and I cannot praise them enough, yes they rathe e expensive BUT I guarantee you will never use adjustable spanner's again. I have the 180mm and the 300mm and they have so far covered everything I have needed to do.

I do like the look of the Knipex pliers never seen them before and if not retired from commercial building maintenance would despite the High price have purchased some as can see how useful they would have been in the work I did, just like my 4 inch Bahco adjustable was when working on gas appliances, thermocouple and pilot light nuts never seemed to be a standard size especially when you encountered American made equipment.

A fun test of the plierswrench is to hand them to someone, ask them to squeeze them shut on a piece of steel sheet held level, then both of you pull - tug of war style. With just a decent single hand grip, you will pull the person over before pulling the plate from the tool jaws. And they are completely smooth, no serrations :)

Once had a problem removing the dip tube on an VW automatic gearbox nothing I had could grip the nut without causing damage purchased a Stanley self adjusting wrench and that was the tool that got it moving.
I have a set of three different sizes made by Facom. Very similar but the top jaw is simply a 90 degree angle. They are good in that the harder you pull the tighter it grips, very good for removing rounded off nuts etc.

Back