Hurrah - my B&Q Performance saw is dead!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
At last the Easter holidays arrive and I've been able to get into the workshop and continue with my son's bedroom refit - made from oak strips a wood charity in Brighton prevented from going to landfill! Takes a while to glue up enough for a bookcase. I've only been working on it since last summer :roll: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stewart_furini/detail?.dir=3ae9&.dnm=95eb.jpg&.src=ph
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stewart_furini/detail?.dir=3ae9&.dnm=7233.jpg&.src=ph
But, better than actually using my new planer thicknesser (second hand from Ebay), or making sliding dovetails with my 'rat, my table saw broke - a cheap and 'orrible thing from B&Q with a yucky fence and a motor that got bogged down on thick oak. As we had set this holiday aside to complete our son's room I guess I'll have to buy a replacement...so it's a long soak with all the tool catalogues I've acquired over the past few months and a desperate struggle with my will power not to buy something too big for my 16 by 8 garage. I suppose a bench top model would be the most sensible thing to buy...

What's your budget Stewart?

Noel

following a brief discussion with my wife while i tried to hide my glee at having the b&q one die we agreed to spend what i need to, so i'm after something that will last and is accurate and is fun to use and that i can get hold off as soon as possible next week. it will probably also have to be on wheels so i can use the space in my garage best, although i could always do away with one of my two old school benches, perhaps...
a long way of saying somewhere between £700 - £1000?
Stewart
still trying to wipe the smile of my face

Hi Stewart,

For that budget you have a got a wide choice of saws to choose from. It may be worth having a search on the forum.

For smaller workshops where space is tight Scheppachs are a good choice as they have folding extensions and are built to be portable(ish) they are also very accurate.

I haven't checked the prices recently but you should be able to get a TS2500 with a cast iron top.

Before Philly gets in and says it. Check out the Xcaliber table saws from Woodford. They seem to have a saw for every budget. You can read Philly's review of the Xcaliber 806 here: http://www.philsville.co.uk/Xcaliber.htm

Edit: Forgot to mention the Jet Supersaw It's had very good reviews.

Hi Stewart

The Jet SS does fit onto a base and will roll very simply, but just be aware that you will use up a lot of space.

Cheers
Neil

I agree with Tony. I bought a Kity with stand some years ago when I was refitting a bedroom from scratch and it has never missed a beat. I have made my own surround table which attaches to the saw table top via M8 bolts through holes already machined in the top. The saw is beautiful and quiet and has only ever seemed to complain when I was ripping 6ft lengths of 3 1/2 in 50 yr old rosewood. Kity have now been taken over by Scheppach and all spares etc are readily available. Have fun
hh

How about the Woodfor (homer) -DOH!
Charley beat me to it-do check out Woodford range of excellent value for money cast iron table saws.
Cheers
Philly :D

I'm tempted by the Woodford range but unfortunately can't see the pictures on their site. Also they're a bit of a distance from me too. I know one shouldn't rush in, etc... but I really need to replace my saw soon - 2 weeks of Easter holidays and besides stacks of coursework to mark I've promised my son his room will be finished!
If any of you know the place I'm off to Homewood in Worthing on Tuesday to look at Sheppach and the SIP cast iron - anyone any comments on the latter??
Thanks
Stewart

arrr HomeWood used to be my local store :cry: :-({|=

I haven't seen the SIP 'in the flesh' yet but GWW reviewed it last year. I'll try and dig it out for you tonight.

FYI the Jet SuperSaw should be on display at HomeWood as well. I'm sure it was last time I went in. Although saying that it was over a year ago now :shock:

they do have the jet as well - i'm just a bit concerned about how much space it will take up, but i'll see it on tuesday as well. I've read a couple of reviews of the SIP but I don't think I've seen the GWW one.
As a novice I've found the advice given by the people in Homewood very helpful - in fact, on a couple of occasions they've discouraged me spending money on things they say I can make myself - just haven't got round to it yet!

Stewart

I'll vote for Honewood too. I got my Scheppach TS2500 there, Dave is very helpful, and will deliver, set it up (Scheppach instructions are pretty poor) and give it a test run, before carrying it right into your workshop ready to go.

Adam

Bought the SIP cast iron saw a few weeks ago. Heavy piece of kit had to unpack the box and carry it in bits to the garage. Needs two of you to put it together but well worth the effort. Loverly cast iron tables and the fence is rock solid and square, also has a short sub fence which bolts to the main fence with tee bolts for adjustment. It runs off a 13amp plug although I have read that it needs a 16amp supply but mine works fine. I have installed it on a HTC mobile base which allows it to be wheeled around quite easily. Only negative points so far, the mitre guide required a couple of centre pops to tighten it up in the tee slot and the extraction pipe on the guard is a waste of time blocked it off and just use main pipe at the back of the table.

Just read your post with interest Les as this afternoon I made the trip over to Worthing and looked at the SIP along with the Jet and 2 Scheppachs 2010 and 2500. Came home with a receipt for the SIP and an HTC wheel base in my back pocket! Delivery is on Thursday which gives me time to make a space for it in my 8 by 16 garage - I think it will be a bit of a squeeze.

I've bought a 16amp socket to wire in as I was told it would need this - as I have it I may as well add it in to the circuit. I understand that a sliding table will be released by SIP as an add-on at some point in the future. I was tempted by the Jet but at twice the price of the SIP it was the SIP that won out.

Did your saw come with the sub-fence as the one I saw in the showroom didn't have this?

I agree about the mitre guage - the demonstration one was a bit sloppy but the fence locked brilliantly, better than the Jet I thought and SIP's microadjuster was better too.

Roll on Thursday

Stewart
Who feels like a small kid at Christmas again - ahh, nostalgia......

Thanks for the welcome. A bit late replying to Stewart I expect he is still playing or recovering from the lifting. My saw came with the sub fence as you more than likely have found out. As for the sliding table my workshop is only 25x9 feet. the saw is parked with the back against the wall and I pull it out if longer cuts are needed. Made a panel cutting jig as the Mighty Norm it works fine doubt if I would bother with the sliding table. The fence is so solid made a tenoning jig to fit over it with a piece of 1inch pipe sticking out of the side, which fits the hold down clamp off my record router table.

Hi Les
Fortunately I didn't have to lift it - it was delivered by the shop ready assembled and all ready to go and they even lifted it onto my wheeled base! Unfortunately mine didn't come with a sub fence so I might get in touch with SIP to see if they can provide me with one. My workshop is only 16 feet by 8 so it's probably a bit more of a squeeze than yours. However it's sooo much better than what I had before that a complete rearrangement of the space was well worth the effort - plus using the sip to make new cupboards has been great.
What I do struggle with is outfeed support - i was tempted by this on screwfix Link
but have resisted so far, intending to make something of my own perhaps....
I too will be making a panel cutting sled, this week I hope
Cheers for now
Stewart

Mod edit of long URL

Glad to see you are in production already. The saw you had may have already been in stock, my supplier ordered a new one direct from SIP. I visited a different supplier so I could touch it first before committing myself and the saw they had on display did not have one. If you check the fence there should be two holes in it that take the tee bolts for the sub fence. This is in front of the blade if so try your supplier as SIP do not seem to respond to an individual. Regarding the out feed support I would strongly reccomend you do not use rollers, they are a pig to line up and if slightly off line will pull the wood into or out from the fence. Much easier and safer to use a ball type stand or a flat sheet. Happy sawing.

Back