HUGE Gloat...mixed with sadness......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks, me and ALFIE have been watching out for the postman.....

Something posted over 3 weeks ago was due every day....but look though we did...nothing came.... :cry:

DSC_0791.JPG

Then today...ALFIE went totally bonkers...leaping around the room...whizzing backward and forward....the postman had a parcel!!!!

DSC_2351.JPG

...and it had an encouraging stamp...

DSC_2352.JPG

So...I wonder what's inside....

DSC_2353.JPG

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok ok...enough!

Let me introduce you to "Ginger".....

DSC_2354.JPG

Pedder, Klaus and I thought that there was a possibility that she had gone missing...after all...Harriette had been discovered...sent to Kiel...dismantled...a new TLT blade fitted...sent back, received and used in that time!! :shock:

But this little beauty...made left-handed...to my hand is now definitely IN my hand and I just love her!

DSC_2368.JPG

Gently balanced against some raw cocobolo....

DSC_2356.JPG

...in the sunshine of Kent...she is just...gorgeous!! 8)

Klaus had decided not to make any more cocobolo handles...so this is the very last....

DSC_2358.JPG

...but what we all were not prepared for is that it could be the very last handle ever made by this fine team...and that is my sadness...huge sadness indeed. Klaus is adamant that the cocolobo for this handle didn't set him off on his allergy...I was very worried that it was. But I am sure the docs will find a solution...skills like Klaus and Pedder should be allowed to continue...if this is the quality produced.

I will be trying her out later...I have a very special job to christen her with.....and I will take a family picture with Robert and Harriette...both from the same stable now!

ALFIE already had his wallet out...having sold the couch, mobile, Annie's boots, SKY remote, computer chair and other things to the scrap dealer! :mrgreen:

DSC_2363.JPG

But he is looking sad too...as I told him he will have to wait until Klaus is cured and this fine company...

DSC_2355.JPG

...is back in business again.....

Klaus, Pedder....you are true craftsmen indeed...and great friends and gentlemen. Thank you for "Ginger"...I will treasure her.

Hoping you will be back making fine saws very soon indeed!

Jimi and ALFIE!

Hi Jim

That is indeed a beautiful saw and I can understand your pride in it.

But I'm missing the "left handedness" of it. Is there a rest for your forefinger on the hidden side of the handle? Or is it more subtle than that?

At the moment, I'm trying to train myself to be ambidextrous. It's very useful in certain situations and good exercise for the brain, apparently!

Hi, Chaps

Evergreen,

I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Jim,

Very nice saw, goes with Alfie coat.

Pete

Wow ...that is truely a thing of beauty.

..but forgive me for being a pedant - there's a spelling mistake on the blade- Two Lawyers Tools should be Two Sawyers Tools

It's left-handed EG....which means 80% of the population aren't able to use it....and I'm working on an excuse for the other 20% right now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Actually...Klaus had me take a photocopy of my palm and key measurements before he started on the handle.! How cool is that! 8)

No error TOG...click the picture and scroll down for more info in English!

Douglas and I had a play with it this afternoon...the kerf is so fine and the perfection of cut...outstanding...so big thumbs up from my mate in Sevenoaks! I'm sure he will be along later with a few words!

This will take pride of place along with Robert(a) and Harriette in the heirloom chest...which will be started as soon as I get a chance now that I have the tools to suit the job!

Cheers

Jim

Evergreen":1f454dqd said:
That is indeed a beautiful saw and I can understand your pride in it.

But I'm missing the "left handedness" of it. Is there a rest for your forefinger on the hidden side of the handle? Or is it more subtle than that?

Hi Evergreen,

"lefthanded" refers just to the etch and the screws. The show site of the saw can be seen, when it is held in the left hand.

Jim, my friend,

you can hardly imagine how happy I am, that this little saw didn't get lost or hurt in the shipping.
Don't know what happened, but now we are happy. On this saw I did the sanding (fully masked), but Klaus
had to apply the finish. So it went up and down in Germany a few times.

Enjoy it! And thanks for all.

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Jimi,

as Pedder wrote already, I'm more than happy as well that the saw wasnt lost in the mail! Three weeks of shipping time from Germany to the UK is that unusual, that I nearly was convinced that it would be lost. Now it is so nice to see how ALFIE does like the saw - as it seems you do as well :lol:

I want to thank you too, my friend ... and please enjoy the tool, you and ALFIE!

Cheers
Klaus

Stunning work again :shock: =D>

Hope Klaus can find a solution for his health problem, in a world of mass produced tat we need the people that are commited to quality products and craftmanship.

No error TOG...click the picture and scroll down for more info in English!

It comes as no surprise that my poor attempt at humour went unnoticed..

What a shame it is to hear that Klaus is reacting so badly to sawdust - life really is a trial (now that was not another attemp at humour).

Indeed, that is a very fine saw. I was puzzled too re the left-handed question, but I'm clear now. There was even a rumour once that the teeth were set differently, that had me totally lost.
I did get to have a fairly close look, it's perfect.
Quick test and I'm right-handed:
2L.jpg

The Two Lawyers are left and right, Gramercy centre. The Gramercy has a noticeably wider kerf, though it's still quite fine.
The Two Lawyers cuts faster, the weight over the blade given by the elliptic brass back is greater and it feels very nicely balanced.
Basically The Two Lawyers is outstanding - the Gramercy is pretty good but this is better.
And I guess Jim's is going to be quite rare, having a cocobolo handle 'n' all :wink:

p.s. the way the brass back is set into the handle is worth a detail shot Jim, some fine workmanship there.

Attachments

• 2L.jpg
    2L.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,406
condeesteso":2ly314le said:
..................p.s. the way the brass back is set into the handle is worth a detail shot Jim, some fine workmanship there.

You are quite correct Douglas...beautiful piece of style engineering!

DSC_2441.JPG

In fact the marriage of these two skilled craftsmen is a magical one indeed.....

Klaus has a most beautiful way with wood....

DSC_2445.JPG

...and marry this with the metalworking attention to detail which Pedder shows...check out the detail of the end of the back....

DSC_2449.JPG

...that skill does not come around very often...

DSC_2450.JPG

We all have to hope upon hope that the prognosis for Klaus tomorrow is good...

DSC_2447.JPG

Magical work indeed! =D> =D>

Jim

jimi43":27zm1roe said:

Pics can be that cruel and mercyless! Watching the above one my eye focusses immediately on the little nick the handle got while buffing on the carnauba finish on the buffing wheel. The short grained very tip of the right cheek broke away as is clearly to see,....grrrr. Those are the moments I hate the saw making. It would have been like cheating to glue on a piece of wood and to reshape it. So the handle had to be redone if you wouldn't have been so kind to tell me that you aren't worried about that. Thank you!

Klaus

Actually Klaus...before you brought it up again I couldn't find where you meant...I looked all over for that little chip you were talking about and had I realised it was there I would have photographed it from the other side to save you the pain of the memory!!! :mrgreen:

I didn't even notice it even when I photographed it in hi-res so I think I can live with it. It's part of what "handmade" means in my opinion.

In fact..I think it's the start of part of its character...and I'm sure..how ever much I use it with kid gloves....over the years it will be getting a few more dings than that!

How did it go with the doctor today...that is far more important!?

Jim

Latest posts

Back