HSS Router Cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Woodrat recommend using their HSS cutters on hardwoods and in the few times that I have done so, they giove a great finish. But they only do a limited range aimed at dovetailing.

Does anybody else still manufacture HSS cutters? They seem to get bad press, but it would be handy to have some straight and moulding bits that can easily be tickled with a sharpening stone as required, but would leave a better cut/finer detail than the TC ones.

There seems to be a fair selection of them on google. I would have assumed they would be fairly cheap but apparently not. :)

Hi, marcros

I use HSS milling cutters you can get 1/2" and 1/4" from Ebay cheap, I also had a couple of adaptors made 6mm and 10mm as lots of cutters come in those shank sizes.
You need Slot Drills they are better than End Mills as they can drill in to the surface, but end mills can be used for rebates etc and are cheaper.
The 1/2" ones leave a very nice finish on solid oak worktops ends.

Ebay.com can throw up some cheap prices they don't have the metric system over there.
Solid Carbide ones are very good and last for ages I am trying to wear one out but it still as sharp as when I got it.

Pete

Back