HSS Rod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm on the lookout for some HSS rod. I intend to make a new toolrest based on the fabricated one I'm using at the moment, but want a piece of HSS rod to epoxy into the top edge, as my mild steel one takes dings far too easily being much softer than the HSS tools.

Here's a quick model of what I've got in mind.

Toolrest.jpg

So, if anybody knows of a source of HSS rod in 300mm (ish) lengths I'd be most gratefull.

Cheers
Aled

What about stainless steel - Probably strong enough for what you wand and easier to source.

Just a thought

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dodge - Stainless would probably do at a push, but Stainless and Mild steel form a galvanic cell, and therefore start corroding one another away. I'm not sure how quickly this would become a problem, but it would definitely be an issue in the longer term.

Lons - Thanks for the link, unfortunately they only supply HSS in shorter lengths as far as i can see - probably to be used as lathe/mill tooling. Silver steel may be an option though, although it is pretty soft in it's annealed state.

I'll have a look in my catalogues Aled. I've seem 300mm lengths somewhere as a standard size. What thicknesses are you looking for?

What about an old HSS turning chisel or you could get a local machine shop to turn a bit of square stock for you?

I'm sure Chronos used to sell it but only short lengths listed in the catalogue I have :?

Try someone like http://www.tasmanindustries.co.uk as I'm pretty sure they cut to order and would give you a quote.

If no joy, then ask the question on one of the model engineering forums who should point you in the right direction

cheers

Bob

Bear in mind that if you do find it in long lengths its likely to be in an unhardened state, just like the soft shank of twist drills so will dent.

Fully hardened drill blanks can be had upto 6" long

Or get a 12" long aircraft extension drill and cut the flutes off, this would give you 10" of HSS and cost about £5

The other option would be silver steel and just harden it yourself by heating to red, holding it there for a while and then quench, standard lengths for this are 330mm for metric and 13" imperial.

Your film of epoxy should act as a barrier between the stand and stainless and prevent galvanic action.

J

Hi , Tool steel in lengths longer than 4inches or so seems to be hard to source, tried making three point tools! Howeverr silver steel is easily available and it can be hardened and tempered to cutting tool hardness. I've used 6mm silver steel for this purpose and brazed it to a mild steel bar to make a easy slide tool rest. Although you could harden it to glass hard, heat until red hot and quench in wate, and epoxt to your bar

regards Paul

HSS Blank Rod is available from Ashley Isles for making your own tool forms, I've had several lengths picked up at Yandles and the like in the past.
Worst case scenario is to buy a cheap bowl gouge and mount it flute down.

Hi Aled keep your wallet closed. Go to your nearest outo repair shop or guys that do shock absorbers and ask them for a few old shocks
the steel shaft is case hardened and easyly cut with a small grider, is ideal for your toolrest mod. My toolrest piece of shock is welded on and the join grinded as best one can and then filled and shaped with body putty/bondo as yanks call it. cost of body putty not much and can always be used to fill cracks and it takes a stain well. Regards Roger in RSA

Hi Aled,
Have you thought that if your toolrest is as hard or harder than your tools, there's a theoretical possibiliy that rather than your toolrest getting dinged, it'll be your tools?

Just a thought.

Apart from perhaps thread chasing, I'd personally rather have a slightly softer toolrest that I can redress with a mill-file than risk the possibility of dinged tools.

HTH
Jon

Make it out of Silver steel and then harden it. I think Robert Sorby use hardened Silver steel for their round section rests. I copied their idea myself and my rest hasn't been dinged so far.

Latest posts

Back