HSS Fluted Bar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodrighy":4ttvlqfq said:

These look very good (price wise at least) does any one know how long the non fluted section is. I know you need to have a lot of the bar in the handle so it doesn't break but i cannot visualize how long the overall tool might be.
Does anyone know any "rules" for how much of the bar should be in the wood handle, how long you should make the handle?

buzzby":v6vsokh4 said:
.... I know you need to have a lot of the bar in the handle so it doesn't break but i cannot visualize how long the overall tool might be.
Does anyone know any "rules" for how much of the bar should be in the wood handle, how long you should make the handle?

There are no rules as such, once enough turning is under the belt to feel confident you will find that you have a preference for length of handle and steel exposure, and I guess differing manufactures base the 'compromise' basic pattern on their own in house turners preferences. I don't think you need to go any more engagement of steel in handle of greater than 70-80mm if you use decent Beech or Ash.

There is some discussion on this point HERE (scroll down a bit) and note Pete's comments in the thread where I re-mounted one of my steels in a collared handle to give me a different length and balance in the hand.

Back