HP dust extractors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all

At our last place in Devon, I had a chip extractor with coarse weave bags installed in an 'annexe' outside my shed.

I recently moved house and now (only :( ) have an integral garage which I will be using as a workshop. The external chip extractor is not an option so I'm thinking about getting a HP extractor. I mainly do woodturning, so I might build a drop box to catch the big bits.

Two options look interesting

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/fi ... ctor--hplv

and

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/produ ... twin-motor

Has anyone used either of these and got any comments to make about them?

Cheers

Dave

I have the record twin motor vacuum and it is really good, from wood chips off the thicknesser to the table saw, bandsaw to a nossel on a stand for sanding at the lathe. It copes with all of this easily. The only thing I would say against it is a tad noisy, you would need to turn the radio up!

A friend has the record single motor version and it doesn't have half the power (Yes, I know it only has one motor) It doesn't cope with his thicknesser, he lets it go on the floor then vacuum it up afterwards where he can control the volume going up the nossel. I know a wood chip extractor would be more beneficial for thicknessers but if you don't do a lot like me and only want one vacuum that covers everything then the twin motor would be my choice.

Cheers
David

I have the camvac connected to a cyclone - works really well, connect a 4" hose for the chips from the planner, and a smaller one for dust from the table saw etc...

I have a wall mounted twin motor Camvac and it's great when the big outer cloth filter is dust-free but rather frustratingly the suction does degrade relatively quickly as the filter clogs. It's easy to shake the cloth filter clean - Just unclip the lid, lift it up slightly and grabbing the bag down the inside give the bag a quick shake without removing the elastic from the top. That way the dust is still contained in the body of the DX. But it's a bit of a nuisance to have to keep doing it.

One advantage of wall mounting though is that you can easily rig silencers on the outputs to make it a bit quieter.

My suggestion would be to go for the twin motor Camvac, probably the drum rather than wall-mounted version but do wall mount it and fit a pair of silencers to the output. Then have something like a Thien separator in the inlet hose line-up as Sammo says, to keep the dust off the main filter and keep it working longer between filter clog-ups.

If you can fit your Thien separator onto a big hopper then all the better because it'll then be longer between emptyings.

HTH
Jon

What about something like a record power CX2600 with a fine filter cartridge. That's what I use and I am very pleased with it. Catches a lot of sanding dust and ok for cleaning the floor afterwards. Also, not too noisy.

BM

Thanks for the replies folks

BM The chip extractor I have is more or less the same as the SIP one I have. It's a bit too big for the space available.

Jon 'fit a pair of silencers to the output' Sounds like a good idea. I've heard a Camvac running, and there does seem to be a lot of wind noise. I might be able to duct the exhaust outside.
The Thien separator looks good. It would take up a bit less room than a Cyclone.

I'm still unpacking boxes at the moment but I'll get a round tuit ASAP.

Cheers all

Dave

Hi Dave,
Camvac suggest fitting one of their hoses (suppiled in the kit at £40 each) to each exhaust output and then chucking them behind a cupboard so that the outputs are not directed towards you!

I have a simple plywood box about 15" x 15" x 6" made out of scrap with two separate labyrinths for the two exhaust ports which are connected with flexible hose. In each labyrinth, air simply enters the bottom of the box goes around a few bends and exits. There are no constrictions to restrict the airflow, just bends and this does help reduce the noise.

HTH
Jon

Alli":rzknj2d4 said:
I have the record twin motor vacuum and it is really good, from wood chips off the thicknesser to the table saw, bandsaw to a nossel on a stand for sanding at the lathe. It copes with all of this easily. The only thing I would say against it is a tad noisy, you would need to turn the radio up!

A friend has the record single motor version and it doesn't have half the power (Yes, I know it only has one motor) It doesn't cope with his thicknesser, he lets it go on the floor then vacuum it up afterwards where he can control the volume going up the nossel. I know a wood chip extractor would be more beneficial for thicknessers but if you don't do a lot like me and only want one vacuum that covers everything then the twin motor would be my choice.

Cheers
David
I have this one too and I agree, it's efficient but a bit noisy.

Latest posts

Back