Howdens Joinery prices?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One time I arranged for 3 companies to give quotes for a job. I intended them to come and see the job at different times. One arrived late and another arrived early so those 2 were here at the same time. You might expect them to compete with each other but instead they decided to join forces and offered a single quote by which they would share the work. So having contractors in at the same time could easily backfire on you.
Ha, true I suppose. Not that I'd ever get those companies in for a job anyway.

I used to have a Howden account but it lapsed. Sales Rep then rang me up about 6 months ago to see if I wanted to set it up again. I pointed out that I didn't like the fact I couldn't go on line and price things up. He told me they had changed the system and your account had a log in and the prices for YOU would appear? I didn't do it, but it sounds like it never happened?

They drive me absolutely mad - I won’t use them at all.

I once had a quote that was 60% more than a similar design from IKEA, and it was for a property i was flipping anyway, and I didn’t mind assembling the units myself.

They then started an incessant campaign of phoning me every week to see if I needed anything this week and despite me saying “no, I’ll call you if I do” they kept calling me. And calling me. And calling me. I told them to take me off their list, and the next nearest branch started calling me instead.

I said if they called me again, I’d never use them on principle. They called again...

Dishonest pricing and pushy practices. I’ll never be going there again.

I agree with the Howdens statements I avoid completely, went in for a price on a little skirting then was told I couldn't buy as I as I wasn't trade !! but could buy with on a staff account (i am in the trade so need receipts) - not happy - then asked about a new boiler; I can remember it now Worcester bosch Highflow 420 around £1800 now it was ok to buy on my card - Told them shove it - got the boiler from Plumcentre and cheaper - As for DIY kitchens had around 10 from there, not always correct - but they are good at correcting any error which in my mind is a good reference.

Just to update this I didn't bother getting back to Howdens about the kitchen but had to go into my local depot yesterday to collect some doors, they asked about the kitchen and I said it was too dear, they said they would see what they could do, today I received a new quote from them which was £700 less than the original for the exact same kitchen............

I have already ordered the kitchen through a friend who has a kitchen company, don't know why I didn't go to him first. He had some nice ideas that improved the design, is getting some of the cabinets supplied bespoke sizes to save me adjusting them and is supplying Bosch and Hotpoint appliances instead of Lamona and is still cheaper than Howdens new lower price 🙂

Just to keep moaning about Howdens as I said I went to collect some doors which I had reserved, one was a 27" Oak fire door. The polythene wrap on the door was ripped and filthy, the door was scratched and had a big faded mark on it, they seemed quite surprised when I said it was no use to me. As it was the only one they had in stock I couldn't do the job and have to go back another day to collect the replacement they are getting in 😡

I stopped using them a while ago, I told them that the quality of timber (it was a moulding to go on top of a staircase stringer) they were supplying was only fit for firewood.
I think they screw their suppliers into the ground so that all they can afford to supply is rubbish.

Back